New Beta In-Experience Chat System for Channels, Filtering and More!

Is the documentation almost done? I’m really eager to try out the new API :slight_smile:

1 Like

I don’t see the enable TextChatService button in the Beta features menu. Is it a region thing?

Ive been noticing a pretty annoying bug that needs to be fixed.

So when disabling the chat through a script I use

TextChatService:FindFirstChildOfClass("ChatWindowConfiguration").Enabled = false

TextChatService:FindFirstChildOfClass("ChatInputBarConfiguration").Enabled = false

But for some weird reason its giving me a error that says attempt to index nil with enabled on the exact line where turning chat off starts!

And ive tried using game:WaitForChild("TextChatService") but nothing works!

If this could be fixed it would help greatly in the future!

getservice

As long as y’all add customizability for setting the chatboxes transparency from 0-1, I’m happy with the new chat service.

1 Like

Same exact thing happens. 30

1 Like

Make sure stuff is loaded before running this code maybe?

2 Likes

The script is a loading script and its in starter player scripts. And also ive tried wait for child and nothing changed

1 Like

what???

2 Likes

Are you in game? This is a beta feature and only enabled in studio.

2 Likes

This is definitely cool. I played around with it for 3-4 hours. However, it is pretty buggy.

• Text chat service randomly turns off and deletes all instances within it.
  • Sometimes when you chat it does not work (rare).
  • It does not appear when actually in the game (so far).

Also, it would be great if (when TextChatService) is enabled, the other chat functions work with TextChatService.

2 Likes

is there going to be a way to customize the look
like making it look like the current roblox chat, the old one, and having a custom one?

(just skins, not actual old chat)

2 Likes

This is a pretty good idea but, they probably won’t add this.

Will it look like this if you do the free camera mode?

1 Like

Is it intentional for this to use usernames and not display names? I currently need to use this workaround:

local TextChatService = game:GetService('TextChatService')
local Players = game:GetService('Players')
local LocalizationService = game:GetService('LocalizationService')

local ColorModule = require(script.ColorModule)

if TextChatService.ChatVersion == Enum.ChatVersion.TextChatService then
	TextChatService.OnIncomingMessage = function(message: TextChatMessage)
		if message.TextSource then
			local plr: Player = Players:GetPlayerByUserId(message.TextSource.UserId)
			local translator: Translator = LocalizationService:GetTranslatorForPlayerAsync(Players.LocalPlayer)

local prefix = '<font color="#' .. ColorModule.GetPrefixColor(plr) .. '">' .. translator:FormatByKey('PrefixDeveloper') .. '</font>'
			message.PrefixText = prefix .. ' <font color="#' .. ColorModule.GetNameColor(plr) .. '">' .. plr.DisplayName .. '</font>'
		end
	end	
else 
	warn('TextChatService.ChatVersion is set to "LegacyChatService".')
end
3 Likes

Hello, I’m a little confused. From what I can see on an empty baseplate, the new chat should be using DisplayNames already. Are you seeing something differently?

1 Like

Last time I checked it (when I replied), it was using usernames in my case. Not sure if this is the case anymore since I haven’t opened Studio. It could also have been since I was setting OnIncomingMessage prefix, still, it’d be better if TextSource had an DisplayName property.

1 Like

Is there any ETA for when this will go live? I’m very excited for this!

3 Likes

A summary of TextChatService Beta changes this week:

2 Likes

We don’t have a set public date yet (since anything that can go wrong will go wrong). We are merging a patch to address a nasty crash this week which is hopefully the last engine change we’ll need before we can release.

That puts our optimistic timeline to sometime towards the end of June or early July when it’s safe to release outside of Studio.

2 Likes