New Beta In-Experience Chat System for Channels, Filtering and More!

Its in beta, so it doesnt work in live servers

2 Likes

This looks great so far an I’m excited to use it! The current chat system is very buggy, for example, it throws an error if a speaker to a text channel is removed while they have the tab of the channel open on their screen, so I had to fork the entire script just to erase the line that throws an error. Also, my custom text channel system allows players to create the names of their channels, so I had to figure out a unique way to make sure two channels don’t have the same name, since channels are strings and not instances. I hope little things like this are fixed in the new system.

Please allow us to control the size of the chat, as the current one is way too mobile-orientated in size for PC games.

3 Likes

Will it be possible to support animated texts? Like text letters appearing continuously until they end with customizations ofcourse.

1 Like

That’s basically all setting PrefixText is. Instead of calling properties:SetPrefixText(string) it’s just properties.PrefixText = string ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The Chat UI looks good but, I want the tab channels back, and the chat resize button, they are useful for my admin game so I need them for my needs, Thanks and have a great day.

2 Likes

will we still be able to use and customise the current version of chat?

1 Like

Yeah we will, they didn’t take or add any features to the classic chat we’ve been using for many years now. They’re focusing on the Beta Chat now.

There’s 1 huge problem.

No more words needed.

2 Likes

This issue was addressed earlier:

3 Likes

Any estimate on the next update to the chat and api?

In the 522 release you guys just completely broke this new TextChatService. It doesn’t work at all.

4 Likes

Ive been noticing that the Chat Version keeps switching from TextChatService to Legacy Chat everytime i restart studio no matter how many times i put it back on TextChatService it always changes back to legacy.

1 Like

Thanks for the report. We’ve enabled some settings that should address this if you restart your Studio windows. Does it still occur if you restart your Studio?

2 Likes

Will you fix not being able to disable the input bar?

Seems to work just fine. Thanks!

1 Like

When is the chat going to be customizable, like making the chat background transparent or customizing the font? This would be a game changer!

2 Likes

This is a good update but one thing? Can we use the old chat ui from 2016-current?

2 Likes

Please fix the key binding, I am very used to using “Ctrl + 7” ("/" on my keyboard), as that is the one used in the legacy chat. But it doesn’t work in the new version and I have to use the US key for “/”.

1 Like

Wow roblox staff, you really did a great job on this one! I am definetly going to use this in my future projects, great work!

1 Like