New Beta In-Experience Chat System for Channels, Filtering and More!

One of my biggest gripes with the old ChatService API was that muting a player in the “All” channel didn’t mute them from being able to whisper chat directly to someone. Even if you muted them in individual channels directed to someone specific (which were the ones used for whisper chats), there would be nothing stopping the other user from just typing “/unmute [speaker]” to unmute them. Hopefully, this new TextChatService has a better solution for this!

3 Likes

This wouldn’t work
Roblox would have to have archived and saved the scripts for all their previous chat systems and modules. On top of this, the older ones would be less likely to work correctly now because over time new features, instances, functions etc have been introduced and old ones have been deprecated or changed

6 Likes

Do channels work? Don’t seem to see any tab showing channels.

5 Likes

Is there a way to make the chat window invisible, like this?

Or is this planned, this would be very cool!

18 Likes

They don’t have to rip it straight off from the previous years, they could just make it customizable so that it looks like the year, or atleast have presets for them.

2 Likes

Sure, but still I doubt Roblox would do something like this

4 Likes

This update seems good so far!

1 Like

Thanks for the reply! The TextChatService version won’t respond to SetCoreGuiEnabled at the moment. The more straight-forward way to hide the chat for this loading screen would be something like the following:

local TextChatService = game:GetService("TextChatService")
TextChatService:FindFirstChildOfClass("ChatInputBarConfiguration").Enabled = false
TextChatService:FindFirstChildOfClass("ChatWindowConfiguration").Enabled = false

We decided to start exposing the API this way to make it easier for developers to understand and use the API. We will consider how this feature interacts with SetCoreGuiEnabled, I think it’s valid since other platform UI respects this!

12 Likes

We aim to have formal documentation of the APIs and include tutorials within the next two weeks :smile:

12 Likes

textchatservice version [{}.{}] be lookin fine

30 Likes

Knew this was coming for a while and had been playing around with it.

Can we please get GUI customisation on the level that we had with the old one, its cool to see the old ChatService libraries moved over to the C++ side with these instances, but it’d still be nice to completely overhaul the GUI.

I imagine the challenge here is how you allow this customisation without allowing exploits such as the infamous making people say things they didn’t.

14 Likes

Alright! Pretty cool.

If you are looking for an easier way of hiding the chat, I would recommend adding an .Enabled property in TextChatService. That way, it would make hiding the chat easier for newer developers.

5 Likes

sure, it’s cool. But I prefer to write my own text commands rather than use the roblox default one. It opens up the door for more customizability for me.

Also, you can’t filter messages like you would with the lua chat system.

Really seems like a decent change, but a bit useless at the same time.

1 Like

Yay! I’ve been waiting for this!

1 Like

I can’t wait to try this out this new feature in my games!

2 Likes

This is epic! I had so much trouble making a custom chat for my game, This would’ve made it so much easier. Glad to see it is an option in the future.

3 Likes

Finally! I always had trouble with the current Lua chat system when creating my own custom chats. This makes it really easy to create them now!

3 Likes

This seems awesome. Off topic but that chat UI looks so cool!! I’d love if the old UI was replaced to fit with modern Roblox.

With name colors, I feel like this should be a setting. I know this is a controversial-ish opinion but maybe on the website we can pick what color we want from a color picker or something.

5 Likes

My question is can we make a seperate UI for sending messages using the new service (TextChatService)?

Like just in case we have a phone UI to send messages…

3 Likes

Does it revamps the chat Gui? Because in the video I saw the chat Gui was different.

2 Likes