New Beta In-Experience Chat System for Channels, Filtering and More!

This sounds like a great change. Will Chat service get deprecated or entirely removed once this is rolled out?

2 Likes

For the example of a phone UI, you could make a TextChannel for phone conversations (or use existing channels), and have the phone UI listen to that channel’s MessageReceived property to display a message. For sending messages, you could use that TextChannel’s SendAsync function :smile:

12 Likes

Does this fix the issues with text in the chat TextBox sometimes disappearing in the chat on mobile?

5 Likes

Woah. This looks sick! I can’t wait to try this out. I’ve already been interesting in the Lua Chat System but this looks MUCH more interesting to experiment with :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Please make chat respect this function, no offence but the other solution you provided feels like it would be a pain to constantly type out (I make quite a lot of UI based experiences so disabling chat is necessary)

4 Likes

This looks so much easier to configure, extend and modify than previous versions!

I think either having it on by default, with an API for it that can be removed or disabled would be a good way to go.

This gives developers expecting the default chat experience to still have name colours, but allows developers who want more customisation to configure the colours or remove them entirely.

8 Likes

Seems to be no :RemoveUser function yet there is an :AddUser function, is this intended, and if so, how do I remove a user from a channel?

4 Likes

This is an amazing new change to Roblox! I would like to give thanks to the engineers and the team behind the new chat, you’ve done well in creating a new brighter future for Roblox developers with your help! I appreciate your effort on all of this.

Looking forward to trying out this beta. Chat commands becoming an instance now is such a revolutionary idea. Everything about the chat feels amazing.

(Also, I saw the code for the new chat before it went public. I knew this was going to be a success.)

4 Likes

Wait… Not to sound dumb here but, What are TextChannels and how do they work?

Also ill like to mention that the api references for the new functions/properties arent really helpful… I guess you plan to add more info later?

4 Likes

Awesome update - it’s really great to see the engine adding more native API functionality vice requiring developers to fork default scripts and deal with all of the problems associated with that.

Hopefully the Animate script is the next to get a sizeable API buff! :pray:

4 Likes

How long until we get a formal documentation, until documentation is published for this update, the API exposed is practically useless, so I hope it is released soon.

5 Likes

Think of a text channel as a virtual “room” for text. As an example, you could add a “Lobby” channel for players who have not yet joined a game, and then switch a channel to a “Game” channel so that you can talk to other people who have joined a game.

It was a sorta unknown feature when LegacyChatService was a thing. But now it’s getting greenlighted as a bigger broader feature!

4 Likes

All the name colors being the same might look more polished, but it makes all the messages blend together.

Name colors are good at making speakers distinct from their message and different speakers distinct from each other. Conversely, having every user be a different name color might be a bit garish.

Hopefully the default approach is able to balance the two.

5 Likes

Hi! I’d like to share feedback on the UI portion as I personally wont be dealing with the opt-in and stuff itself until it’s fully finished.

This is quite dark and overpowering of any scene. Is there plans to allow developers to change the colour of this?

(Using @intergravitation’s screenshot)

You can see how it doesn’t fit the design of the player as the actual textbar element is darker than anything else on the screen. This is too distracting from any experience and may lead to developers using other chat systems rather than this new, awesome one.

Not to forget, the elements under the topbar currently are not rounded. I think following the current design language with how the current textbox looks with this new one is important, unless you plan on another overhaul to the design based on this element change.

Now, as to add a request to this feature; could we get rich text and an emoji button? I currently use an alternate chat system with these features, and as much as I love it, I would love to keep as many elements of my game stock. Rich text would drastically improve the quality of text.

13 Likes

I think is this a great idea! If I remember RDC 2021 Roblox said they where added a new chat UI, but thats all I remember.
Like you said this should make it a lot easier to make custom chat in our experiences
I’m really looking forword to this update!
10/10 Update! :+1:

btw I love the UI :slightly_smiling_face:

Roblox chat

6 Likes

Why aren’t Channels supported in this new chat?

b2aebb69f286556bf242e596b9425efd0326e299_2_690x361

18 Likes

I HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR THIS LIKE 1 OR 2 YEARS AGO THAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANKS

Screaming aside, i really wanted this update to come, the chat system didnt match the Roblox UI, i really like this update, Roblox to the future!

5 Likes

Very useful to my new game in the making. A brand new chat service may be appealing for the game. Love this. Thank you Roblox for doing SOMETHING with the chat.

2 Likes

Please consider making the UI brighter, it is way too dark.

11 Likes

oh this is super great!! now i won’t have to cry every night about scripting chat events, hah.
the simplicity is my favourite part, love how easy it is to play around with now

3 Likes