New Bubble Chat and TextChatService Customization APIs

While this release doesn’t seem to support inline custom ui at the moment, you could maybe get an approximate outcome with some 9-slice and some extra whitespace (ehh). Perhaps if UIPadding or allowing for custom inline ui were supported you’d be able to achieve this a lot easier (not sure if/when that is actually planned at the moment, but this is a great example usecase to strive for)

30 Likes

Icons are definitely our biggest use case for inlining UI elements to bubble chat and one of our reasons on why we forked the bubble chat scripts, the other two being conditional bubble chat colouring (now supported) and lack of certainty on the feasibility of being able to create indicators and chat states as users typed, matching the custom chat states of the Legacy Chat System for switching channels as users typed.

It’s something that we can live without since bubble colours are visually clearer right away, but if that’s ever something that comes up in the future I would be happy if TextChatService could support it. :grin:

23 Likes

FINALLY! LET’S GO! I’m glad Roblox is getting better!

28 Likes

Great update!

Now we just need customization support for the player list such as custom icons, custom sort order, max visible elements, etc. Having to create a custom player list UI because it overlaps HUD elements is annoying.

22 Likes

How do I apply MaxBubbles and BubbleDuration to specific NPCs? BubbleChatMessageProperties doesn’t have properties for this. This was possible to do in LegacyChatService.

The only way I can seem to do this is by editing BubbleChatConfiguration, but that applies to all chat bubbles in the entire place, which is not what I want.

22 Likes

But, TextChatService doesn’t support chat channels yet, and legency does currently waiting until it does then, I’ll switch over.

21 Likes

Love this update! I can already see so many use cases for TextChatService.onBubbleAdded, a few of these are:

• NPCs vs Players - we can now tell them apart!
  • Also being able to change the colour and gradient is going to be fantastic
  • Adding images to bubbles is also really going to help distinguish team and public text channels!

Can’t wait to dive into these new features, big thanks to the team behind this update, this is going to be sick!

20 Likes

Did anyone check? Maybe, I’ll check it out later idk.

20 Likes

It seems like the BubbleChatConfiguration.MaxBubbles property doesn’t work, no matter what it’s set to it always functions as if it’s set to 3. Is this because the property hasn’t been enabled yet, or is it a bug?

19 Likes

Once that channel UI is finished ill be able to add it into my custom chat with admin commands
probably going to incorporate more visual effects which is great :smiley:

25 Likes

Pretty great, though will it work with an event or something else?

This is pretty great! What will the UI look like? Is it going to be on top of the window or at the side? (I personally think at the side would be much better)

15 Likes

Great update!

I’m really looking forward to see this being implemented in more games in the future

16 Likes

An excellent step in the right direction. I am eager to see how this customisability will be used in games.

I’m curious to know if actual images in the bubble chat will ever be supported? Something like this:

A ton of games I know use them for stickers, and I’m sure the developers would much rather be happy to be using Roblox’s own core scripts then to fork them and do some scripting magic I’m not even capable of. It’s probably a niche use-case, but seems like it would be a cool inclusion nonetheless.

28 Likes

Will anything like this be possible? I’d love to be able to have sideways chat bubbles.

(Screenshot taken from DELTARUNE)

20 Likes

Windows + . brings up the emoji menu FYI, but a button for those unaware could be a nice addition

12 Likes

Anyway we can get the option to use an image for the chat window?? like the solid background color thing is nice… but i feel like it could still be expanded upon. Once the Different channel feature gets added it would be nice if different channels could be different colors/ have an image background embedded into them or something.

4 Likes

i love these. thank you roblox :heart_on_fire::metal:

6 Likes

idc. it looks cool. its up to the developers to make it readable as they can choose the font, etc

4 Likes

Are there any plans to allow developers to specify a custom position with the Chat Input Bar? It can be irritating when you have to make your interface design work around one of the 3 positions. I’m aware you can create custom text boxes but native support would be amazing

4 Likes

Amazing update!!!

3 Likes