New Bubble Chat and TextChatService Customization APIs

This is cool, although I expected something more. Dont get me wrong, this is still better than before, but why cant we edit every property per player/bubble? I wanted to make a typing indicator, that makes all the chat bubbles rise up, but it seems like its impossible to move the chat bubbles up per player. What I ended up doing is welding a part on top of the characters head, to force the chat bubbles to go up, but it doesnt work at every distance. Is a built-in typing indicator maybe something thats planned?

6 Likes

Thanks for posting and sorry for the confusion here. It looks like we are still waiting for this to be turned on. It’s scheduled for Monday next week.

6 Likes

Thanks! This update is gonna be really useful for a lot of developers including myself. :grin:

Can’t wait to see what’s coming next!

1 Like

Sorry for the redundant question but is this for legacy or the new text chat service? Because I don’t see a property for images in BubbleChatConfiguration (I’m using legacy btw)

5 Likes

I’ve noticed that changing the BackgroundTransparency of a BubbleChatMessageProperties instance affects the entire chat bubble, not just the background. This is different to changing the BackgroundTransparency property of the BubbleChatConfiguration which keeps the text visible when the background is transparent.

Currently there’s no way to set a TextStroke for a chat bubble, which is desirable for the look I want for my game which is something akin to:

Screenshot 2023-07-29 at 21.28.24

Currently the only way I can achieve this is by adding a stroke/colour tag with RichText using an OnIncomingMessage callback — but this has the issue of also affecting the text in the chat window.

10 Likes

Are there plans to make it so images parented to bubble chat message properties are not just an override of the bubble’s entire stylisation, but we instead have the option to make it act as a background effect on top of the bubble’s background properties?

I was hoping that it’d show up as an addition with a Z-index inbetween the bubble and the chat’s textlabel rather than just completely replace the bubble as it seemingly does at the moment.

It’d be ideal if the bubble was a container similar to a UI frame with a similar level of customisation and behaviour.

9 Likes

Thanks for the feedback all! I can’t comment on everyone’s requests or everything we’ll support in the future, but your feedback will help our team plan accordingly.

This isn’t yet possible as these would have to be applied to all bubbles on a per-user basis, while onBubbleAdded specifies individual bubble customizations, but we’ve logged this as something to support in the future.

This is for TextChatService. They are not listed as properties as they are instances that need to be inserted. To have a custom background image, just insert ImageLabel instance parented under BubbleChatConfiguration and modify its properties. See our guide for more info!

I believe this is a bug, thanks for reporting it. We’ll follow up with a fix in the coming weeks.

12 Likes

I mean a support to add emojis trough a custom UI by tapping or clicking on it like for example [v1.5.2] Introducing the Emoji Chat Suite. I believe you added those emojis directly via a mobile device?

1 Like

Great. I have problem with chat. Text not fit in bat bubble chat.

How to make text fit in bat bubble chat. example:

How?

9 Likes

I love the new system and I was really excited to try it out since it’s going to save me a lot of time having to rewrite my old custom bubble chat system, but I’m having some issues with using slice on the ImageLabel object. It looks fine in a ScreenGui, but the second I put it in the BubbleChatConfiguration then the slice causes there to be holes in the message where the slice portions are. I’ve been playing around with this for a while now and I can’t seem to figure it out.

Here’s a clip: https://gyazo.com/4c93a48cbb9e84a737dc7dd2ec59f68d

Additionally, is there potentially any way to add a second image to the bubble chat? I would like an image to appear on the left side of the chat indicating the type of dialogue an NPC is to distinguish between shops and other types of dialog in game. With the custom bubble chat system I had earlier I had set the outline color to indicate whether the NPC was friendly/neutral/enemy and then an icon to indicate the purpose of the dialog (shop/quest/plain dialog).

4 Likes

Not bad! When will Rōblox introduce the option to chòóse how to modify the chat filter to dismantle ageist policies?

1 Like

In a sense, yes. I wanted to hint at the fact that despite Rōblox’s assurances that their economy is completely in our hands, they are unwilling to let go of a few things that really underscore that ideal.

If you want to build a creator-driven economy, consider who its legistlators and law enforcement bodies are going to be.

I’ll consider the fact that Rōblox has COPPA (and GDPR) laws to follow, and that we’ve had a long-established custom of not involving younger players into our messes. Hence my s***post.

3 Likes

Amazing!

I currently have an issue with the BubbleChatConfiguration.BubbleDuration property. I have it so it disappears after 15 seconds and it does when in Studio, but on the published/live game, chat bubbles takes 60 seconds to disappear even after trying to override the configuation in a LocalScript. Is anyone else experiencing this issue, or how I can fix this?

4 Likes

To remove the filter simply create your own gui using textbox’s and allow anything a user sends to be added into this scrolling frame, use the Debris service to get rid of messages after a certain time frame
(I would suggest something like 5minutes), then what you need to do:

-go ahead and make yourself a new account because CHAT FILTER IS REQUIRED, and removing it will get your account banned. thank you.

Edit: Resisting the urge to include false code example that just autokicks the owner of the game with the message “Chat filter required, your account is suspended.”

7 Likes

There’s an odd interaction with UICorner and 9Slice at the moment…my recommendation is to set the CornerRadius to 0 if using 9Slice to avoid this effect for now. Sorry about that!

6 Likes

Hi, will there ever be the ability to set custom positioning of the chat instead of basic options we’re given?

3 Likes

Hmmm, I’m having an issue with the tail visible option. It doesn’t seem to work, as the tail is visible with it enabled, and with it disabled.

4 Likes

It is quite great to customize the bubble to make it greater, scarier, gloomier, etc!

However, I see that the classic bubble is the best.

5 Likes

Will there be a way to resize or even drag the chat similar to the old chat?

b5b1feb2123591fdb115db3b640dba366ce2be6b_2_689x318

15 Likes

It’s not “ageist,” it’s keeping kids safe. Chat filters are definitely required in today’s landscape for people < 13 and a good idea for anyone else (with some exceptions). I don’t know when we decided to start calling chat filters “ageist” but they definitely aren’t

10 Likes