New Bubble Chat and TextChatService Customization APIs

Hey, thanks for the reply, but the point is that TextSource is not achievable without that someone first sending a message; or at least, not any current way described by any of the API references.

The request to mute people server-sided is coming from the position of being a game moderator wanting to mute people and keep them muted post-mortem, something which isn’t achievable without them sending a message when they join thanks to the lack of API documentation.

4 Likes

TextSources are created for new players on join for default text channels.

3 Likes

Thanks for your patience! MaxBubbles should be enabled now.

6 Likes

Thanks for letting me know. :smile:

The property works as expected until it’s set to 6 or higher. If it’s above 6 then it’ll transition as expected but the sixth bubble renders as blank, and if set higher than 6 it’ll behave as if it’s still set to 6.

A value of 5 or below works perfectly fine though.

4 Likes

Hm likely a result of the bubbles extending outside of the BillboardGui’s canvas. @daweezy99, it could be something to look into increasing the height of BillboardGui.Size with larger Max bubbles sizes (or we could clamp this value to something reasonable)

Out of curiosity @shadowflame63, is there a legitimate reason to have a toooon of Max bubbles or is this mostly for science?

6 Likes

This is a great update, and I think someone has already said this but adding rich text support would be perfect. Maybe adding a max font size so people don’t spam the chat with huge lettering but it is still a great idea

4 Likes

Mostly for science, I was just messing around with the property and ran into that issue.

4 Likes

I noticed another bug with BubbleChatMessageProperties. The bubble text won’t update to the new background color when zooming out or during message fading.

4 Likes

What update would that be? and is it fixable

4 Likes

Since this feature has not been implemented, I have been hesitant to use it on a large scale in my projects.:smiling_face_with_tear:

3 Likes

The update is the new camera update that allows control of facial movement. The UI is bad because grey.

4 Likes

Please add an option to change the anchorpoint of bubbles to allow for bubbles to come off to the side

8 Likes

:warning: Please make it so when assigning a function to OnBubbleAdded in studio, it drops a warning! I released an in-game update, and because I didn’t read this completely. A lot of my player base literally couldn’t enter the game because the main code was erroring on IOS.

The title of this post kind of confused me as I didn’t see the word Beta anywhere like in most of the other announcements for the title.

The error was:

:warning: This feature is not available on IOs, please don’t use it yet.

8 Likes

As a potential solution, you could create a custom attachment for bubble chat within your characters and set the AdorneeName property to match.

5 Likes

That seems like it’s better than adding native support, as you can already do this with basically anything that’s inside a part, such as lights.

4 Likes

it will be adorned to the centre of the part. A separate part would be needed for each bubble as the sizes are different

5 Likes

so how do we make the tail appear until the bug is fixed? I tried setting it in script by
game:GetService(“TextChatService”).BubbleChatConfiguration.TailVisible = true
but the tail still doesn’t show up.

4 Likes

Hope to support IOS devices soon, because I use your latest API and get this error every day, but I don’t want to rewrite the compatibility code of the deprecated Chat API again.

7 Likes

The tail not showing is actually a regression from a separate release unfortunately. A fix is in and will be in next week’s release.

Sorry that you had to run into this error. Good news is that onBubbleAdded API is supported in the latest versions of Roblox iOS app, but unfortunately about ~20% of users are still on an older version. This should resolve in the coming weeks as users upgrade, and we typically force upgrade older versions after a few weeks.

15 Likes

Nice feature, it will help a lot of games.

10 Likes