New Bubble Chat and TextChatService Customization APIs

Definitely something to acknowledge! My opinion is a very controversial one. I believe education is more effective than censorship and built my point off that.

Disclaimer: I never had kids, but the people who wrote COPPA probably do have kids of their own.

5 Likes

Ahh okay. I wondered if it had something to do with UI corner so I removed the corner object, but I suppose adding a UICorner with CornerRadius 0 probably has a different effect if there’s a corner effect added by default. I ended up just remaking my custom bubble chat system since I needed it for a few other reasons anyway, but I’ll definitely keep this in mind for future projects it could be useful for.

3 Likes

Ah I see what you mean now, I added the emojis through the Windows Emoji selection which you can access by clicking Windows + .

2 Likes

Does a pedophile asking for a kid’s personal information through Roblox or using the lack of chat filter to tell them disgusting stuff count as education?

3 Likes

A predator not asking for a kid’s personal information through Rōblox doesn’t necessarily count as censorship either. What will count as education is if that kid stands up for themselves and says that they don’t feel comfortable.

2 Likes

Based on your previous descriptions, it sounds like to you it does.

But kids don’t do this. Most times they don’t see any issues with sharing sensitive personal information, and even a lot of teenagers lack basic internet safety precautions. This has happened time and time again even with chat filters.

7 Likes

Apologies for the lack of clarity! I was trying to say that predators’ direct actions aren’t influenced by whether a filter exists. They will scout for young players and will continue to engage in social-engineering tactics.

2 Likes

But it’s so much harder for any actions to occur when personal questions are censored. Literally any filter of any caliber to fight that is better than none. If there’s anything that’s “ageist,” it would be allowing children to be exposed to the dangers of the internet without a safeguard.

6 Likes

I’m trying to recontextualise our argument in terms of how things work at a playground. Anyone can visit, but the majority of people inside of it are kids. For this reason, parents usually keep a close eye.

If parents aren’t there to watch, how else do you protect them from kidnappers? My answer is to ingrain which social-engineering techniques predators use to lure them in.

If someone happens to skip all that and take a kid by force inside the playground, it’ll look suspicious. Other parents will call the police if that happens.

2 Likes

This would be great, but it’s hard to teach a 7 year old how to detect social engineering of all things, much less every single one who uses the platform. The chat filter functions, analogously, as an “invisible parent” that stands by the child and is able to prevent most attacks from occurring; and even if the child is aware of social engineering techniques, it is still in their benefit to have that invisible parent.

7 Likes

That is correct. When I have kids in 10 years, or start early by taking care of other’s kids, I’ll know better.

If I still remember, I’ll let you know how it turns out!

3 Likes

for anyone that is trying to make their own bubble chat image, set the dimensions to 420 width, 210 height

4 Likes

Very nice, This update makes it fit in the game’s theme!

4 Likes

I love this, I’ve always enjoyed the idea of bubble chat customization! Now that it’s finally here, we can edit it to our hearts content!

I’ll get around to playing around with it soon! :smiley:

3 Likes

Is anyone else experiencing an issue with the microphone icon following this update?
image_2023-07-31_222514114

The microphone icon isn’t matching the configuration of the chat anymore. This is a picture from a day ago and it was working fine.

10 Likes

This is a result of a separate update

5 Likes

Is there any way to change this or is it an issue with the engine?

4 Likes

It looks like the engineers will have to make some changes to support the new voice and camera controls

8 Likes

This is a great update for TextChatService; I know that’s nothing new to say but it is.

This part of the update by itself could be useful to me. If it made it far enough into development, I would probably like for players to change their roleplay name’s color, which in turn would affect their chat bubble (exactly like Royale High). Before this update, that would’ve been impossible.

I tried messing around, adding random images that I previously uploaded for my experience; Neither of my random choices was readable, but I think the second image shows one of the uses of image backgrounds: The edges of chat bubbles could fade out, giving it a “airy” vibe.

This is awesome! I don’t like how developers can’t at least get read-only access to instances in CoreGui, so it was impossible to check if the player was typing in the chat box before (and I had to hackishly intercept the “lacking permission” error,

Now I don’t have to deal with that (though my hackish function was repurposed as a “safe” replacement for the error-prone GetFocusedTextBox() function), as I’ve already updated my typing indicator script to use this property.

Ooh! This could be useful if I needed to use the “slash” key for something else and didn’t want chat to intercept it. I know this isn’t a feature request topic, but it would be nice if all other hardcoded key/button presses could be disabled or re-binded by developers like this.

Examples of remaining hardcoded functions
  • Left trigger (gamepad) - Put away tool (backspace doesn’t do this anymore but for some reason, they forgot to update gamepads with the same nice update. This is the worst in VR, since the left and right controllers shouldn’t have distinctly different functionality.
  • I & O (keyboard) - Zooms the camera in/out. These feel like legacy leftovers from classic Roblox that shouldn’t be around anymore, or at least should be editable.
  • ** (keyboard) - Activates gamepad cursor. Nothing else to say here.
  • (I would include the arrow keys here, but then I may as well include WASD and spacebar too…)
4 Likes

I would have to disagree. They are extremely useful if a UI opens while you are in first person, and you cant scroll to zoom out.

Although it is extremely weird that we cant rebind ANY of the keys.

2 Likes