New Chat System Now Live!

I implemented this hack but unfortunelty did not ship it in time. The most recent version of the chat on git-hub has this. I can attach a model here if anyone wants this version.

The real fix will be done when we can turn on ScreenGui.ResetOnSpawn and ScreenGui.DisplayOrder.

3 Likes

Yay good to know this is already fixed!

In Work at a Pizza Place, I canā€™t see what Iā€™m typing. The text box isnā€™t there, but I can still chat by pressing /. Itā€™s very offputting and I donā€™t know if itā€™s the game or the chat.

1 Like

Itā€™s the chat, because it happens on my game as well.

Is the fade animation going to be made 60 FPS soon?

3 Likes

Lots of times chat leaves out the last word I typed. Has anyone else noticed this?

3 Likes

I want a function that I can call from some script in ServerScriptService that displays a given message to all clients via the chat window. Is this possible?

It looks like it is, sort of
http://wiki.roblox.com/index.php?title=API:Class/StarterGui/SetCore

it canā€™t be called from ServerScriptService; it would have to fire a signal to all of the clients telling them to do this.

1 Like

The last word gets kinda sandwiched on the chat border, if you have the chat resizeable option to true and resize it appears. Pretty sure text wrapping has to do something with it (or text fits).

Yeah, this is because we donā€™t take the scroll bar size away from the AbsoluteWindowSize when calculating the text bounds. This will be fixed soon. The wiki page used to lie and say that AbsoluteWindowSize did not include the scroll bar size :frowning:

1 Like

This is actually not true, the wiki was right. I am not sure what exactly causes this issue :frowning: but my fix works :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This happens with the new chat system.

This is because the web filter was experiencing problems at this time.

1 Like

Hm - Iā€™m just wondering why itā€™s not pcallā€™ed? Surely, error feedback is good, but not expecting 3rd-party APIs to error may not be desireable.

1 Like

Golly

I would love for the parts of the chat that canā€™t be interacted with to not absorb mouse clicks. Is that a possibility?

17 Likes

blog post up with new chat details (https://blog.roblox.com/2017/01/new-chat-system-api/).

of course, still working through all the bugs. more great stuff coming soon.

2 Likes

itā€™s also got a link to some great documentation and manuals from @Maximum_ADHD and @UristMcSparks

1 Like

This has been present and reported since June, still no fix :confused: Extremely obnoxious and close to gamebreaking sometimes.

1 Like

Looking into this now. I think it should be possible.

8 Likes