New ContentId format for easy thumbnail loading

The ones on the website are served from something like tr.rbxcdn.com with a hashed path so it’s probably not a very friendly URL. Best to stick with the rbxthumb one.

You can find the web versions by using the API, https://thumbnails.roblox.com/v1/users/avatar-headshot?userIds=1&size=48x48&format=png so I imagine it’s similar. Although the URL probably changes every time you update your avatar so it’s not very useful to know the exact URL.

6 Likes

Yeah I’m wondering if they change the base url off the params or whether or not its a new endpoint that fits all. This is important for external web stuff!

2 Likes

It uses the new batch thumbnail endpoint. You can see the documentation of this endpoint here: https://thumbnails.roblox.com/docs#!/Batch/post_v1_batch

13 Likes

Will it ever be possible in the foreseeable future to generate/render our own size for our own individual needs just by inputting a custom width and length?

I’d like to use more power to number of 2 formats such as 32,64,128,256 especially in the context of avatar related images for a more flexible scaling system. I can easily think of some use cases where a 16x16 image would be used in a chat for example. A 64x64 image in a leader-board and a 128/256 image in a flexible player stat system.

Not to mention, I’ve always been strongly instructed to use power numbers wherever possible in textures/images due to the reasoning below and I’ve always heavily agreed with the reasoning that power of 2 based images improve performance in general. I previously did some simple 2D based sprite designs for an old indie game studio they loaded considerably quicker than some wild number such as 66x63 that was being used previously.

8 Likes

Will the :GetUserThumbnailAsync API be deprecated? What is the preferred API now? This, or that?

3 Likes

This is the prefered API as it batches thumbnail requests together so it is more efficient. We have no plans to deprecate :GetUserThumbnailAsync right now. If you want to check if a thumbnail is ready or not, using RbxThumb right now may be slightly more complicated than :GetUserThumbnailAsync as you would need to use ContentProvider:PreloadAsync with the callback function parameter.

4 Likes

I’m really hoping this is either intentional or hard to fix, because I don’t want to waste my time writing string.format every time I use static rbxthumb:// urls with a variable ID, and then have to comb through and remove them all if they update it @.@

3 Likes

We have decided to change rbxthumb to no longer require a specific order of parameters. This should be released in around 2 weeks.

11 Likes

We have released sizes sizes 128x128, 256x256 and 512x512 for GameIcons.

8 Likes

Any word yet on the parameter ordering?

3 Likes

What does the "Asset" thumbnail ID represent? Catalog/library thumbnails or something else? At first I was guessing regular decal image IDs but now I doubt that.

1 Like

Will there eventually be a way to load developer product thumbnails with the ContentId format?

5 Likes

This has been delayed slightly but hopefully we should be able to get this released soon.

3 Likes

We can look into providing this if there is enough demand.

5 Likes

Aye, I was just wondering about the https://thumbnails.roblox.com/docs site usage, and it only seems to return place holder image for the games.

Appreciate for any updates you can give us on the thumbnail service changes.

2 Likes

We just shipped an update that improves the retry logic and allows arbitrary parameter order for RbxThumb, let us know if you experience any problems with this.

6 Likes

I’m not sure where the best place to post this is, but since this is relatively new I guess this might be the place, please let me know if I need to change anything.

I believe this endpoint is causing my game problems loading the image assets, and since my game heavily relies on textures it’s confusing lots of players.
This only seems to be happening on the Roblox player/client outside of Studio, but loads fine in Studio.

Studio:

Roblox Client:

Here’s a few of the strings I set the Image property to.
rbxthumb://type=Asset&id=3221744058&w=150&h=150
rbxthumb://type=Asset&id=2850700004&w=150&h=150
rbxthumb://type=Asset&id=3398665608&w=150&h=150

Game: https://www.roblox.com/games/380305410

2 Likes

Cool. Will be helpful during UI work. Thanks!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.