New CSG action: Intersect

Currently we have 3 Solid Modeling actions: Union, Negate and Separate. As seen on an image below, the CSG tree has another action (left side) called Intersect.

CSG Tree

Intersect would basically be anti-Negate. Meaning that instead of deleting the space that Negate part would cover, it would keep only what’s inside the part.

####Here is a GIF demo:

####And here is an Intersect part demo

Has this ever been considered to be done?
As for now, we are able to achieve the same effect with Negate parts but it requires more of them, which results in higher file size and is harder to operate with. It would allow us to create spheres with ease, as well as many other shapes and would possibly lower the file size.

15 Likes

There was a plugin for this, it was awesome. But I think it broke

1 Like

I have some intersect code from the wiki built into this plugin. It still works, but CSG isn’t always as reliable as you’d like it to be, so usually you’re better off trying to avoid making unions more complicated with intersect.

Didn’t the brute force option help?

I actually never combined the two, so intersect just uses the default unioning. I probably would have combined them, but I never really found a reliable use for intersect – I even considered removing it from the plugin at one point, but decided not to because there were bound to be people who used it.

Single Intersect part that would be a part of Studio features would be as reliable as the Negate part. Reliable Intersecting by Negate parts is more time consuming, it also needs more steps meaning that a possible ‘sin’ may get in the way.
Plugin, as you said, isn’t that reliable as you’d like to be.

1 Like

Bump from:

Intersect is now supported as a CSG operation!
More info here: Introducing Intersection to Computational Solid Geometry (CSG)

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.