New CSG system in Studio: try it out, tell us what you think

CSGv2 does not employ any perturbation to resolve coplanar cases. Unfortunately, however, the result above is the correct outcome for the transformation parameters for the parts. In this case, the offsets are coming from rounding errors in the transform tools.

The best way to work around this currently is to make the negative parts are a bit bigger than necessary, to make sure that the small rounding errors are covered.

7 Likes

Thank you, we’ve seen error 21 in the statistics, but lacked a repro for it. We’ll get to this right away.

1 Like

I’ve been using this since it first came out. This is perfect i really like it there is no errors. Just a small issue when I want to apply a texture to a CSG with this new system sometime the texture don’t appear.

1 Like

Glad to hear you like it!

I believe the texture problem has been fixed in the latest release. The issue was that texturing only worked properly if instancing was enabled. Let us know if you still see problems (this or other).

2 Likes

Any status update on this working with plugins @linearcomplex?

2 Likes

Plugin support for CSGv2 should be in the latest release, which I’ve just been informed isn’t quite out yet. Soon ™.

3 Likes

Will keep an eye out for it.
Is the change flagged, or should it just be automatic with the new version?

1 Like

Will be automatic, given you have the UseCSGv2 checkbox enabled.

2 Likes

CSGv2 has been working wonders for me so far, but today I encountered my first issue. I have a part that I modeled below and I needed to stretch it out to be much longer so I stacked a bunch of them together in order to do so and that’s what I’ve always done with CSG to do that.

This has never given me any issues before and I assumed it wouldn’t as it shouldn’t be creating many more triangles than are already in that part, just stretching the existing ones out if I understand it correctly. But as you can see below, it is creating many more triangles than expected. This isn’t the behavior I expected so I don’t know if this is an issue that should be addressed or not.

Dropbox - CSG Curve.rbxmx - Simplify your life (sorry the file was apparently too large to upload to Discourse)

1 Like

Have you tried unioning them bit by bit?

1 Like

It only allows me to union ~8 and then continues to give me the error. I tried everything I learned from v1 but to no avail.

1 Like

The reason so many triangles are produced is due to the fact that the duplicated elements, while apparently in the same orientation, are in fact not, thanks to rounding errors in computing the coordinate frames. Due to these small differences in the orientations, CSGv2 sees the individual faces as separate and so won’t join them into larger ones.

We’re working to address this issue, but it won’t be a quick fix.

Meanwhile, one way around this is to make the initial model “long enough”, and then cut it shorter using negative boxes.

3 Likes

I may have added several hundred thousand operations to the UseCSGv2 stats over the weekend, since my importer sped up about 10x when v2 started working with plugins.

(srry lol)

I’ve been seeing some issues related to UsePartColor and NegativeParts. I’m not sure if it’s because I’m rapidly doing operations or because there’s an actual bug, but sometimes negative parts aren’t applying their color to the operation.

8 Likes