New Escape menu no longer allows decimal inputs for camera sensitivity

Previously, the Escape menu allowed decimal inputs. (0.20015 in this screenshot)

This is no longer possible with the new menu, as it rounds.

This seems like a bug to me because when I do put in decimal numbers it doesn’t clip them and shows me the full number.

Happens 100% of the time, first encountered this yesterday.

50 Likes

Thank you so much for posting this! This was the very first issue that I noticed upon the new UI being introduced to me, and I haven’t been able to create a topic within this section yet. Several other users have mentioned this within the announcement thread for the new UI as well.

Although I have not done super in-depth testing on this, upon re-entering a decimal for a second time within the box, it continues to automatically round itself to the closest whole number in terms of functionality, even if it visually shows the decimal that was inputted. When you rejoin a place, the sensitivity also resets back to the closest whole number. So even if it shows a camera sensitivity of 0.2, everything from 0 → 0.49 is the exact same sensitivity at the moment.

This has been something extremely problematic for me, as I consistently use 0.065 and 0.15/0.20 in-game for the most part, which is now defaulting to “0” sensitivity, which I have found to be much faster than any of the inputs I normally use. The closest possible method of getting around this in the meantime is by adjusting my mouse’s DPI, which is not very fun.

7 Likes

This was also an issue for me. My previous sens was around 0.2

9 Likes

This annoyingly affects me and I hope Roblox would let us do this again. Now I’m stuck to some new sensitivity that I have to get used to and it’s pretty darn annoying. Thanks for posting this and bringing this problem to light.

5 Likes

Same here it was nice to have decimal inputs and be able to fine tune the sensitivity.

3 Likes

I’ve consistently used .2 camera sensitivity on Roblox for years so being forced to use a whole number feels off and makes a few games I play a lot harder because of muscle memory

3 Likes

I actually just found a temporary fix for us users who use decimal inputs.

Basically, go into ROBLOX Studio, play-test your game, then open up the menu in there. If it’s not updated yet, you will be able to set any sensitivity as Studio still utilizes the old menu.

Once I did this, I was able to use any sensitivity when going back into a normal game even though the UI didn’t show it properly (it was still labeled as 0 but my sensitivity of 0.065 before the update is in effect). If you attempt to change the sens while in a normal place (not in studio), it will continue to be glitchy, though.

I found this fix as well, but I’d like to be able to change my sensitivity per-game. Valve pls.

1 Like

Any updates on this? I can’t play Arsenal as well anymore :frowning:

I understand the clamping makes sense for the slider, but why do we have a textbox field if that also clamps? I would expect the textfield to accept whatever I input as long as its a number and within bounds

8 Likes

Really not sure why Roblox would remove such a simple yet important setting. We should be moving towards accessibility, and while we can’t really enforce devs to implement keybinding, for such a universal element of control I’d hope we could have a proper mouse sensitivity setting.

Lacking the ability to change sensitivity without some cumbersome workaround is something which can easily discourage users from playing, especially for genres which need that precision. I’m not gonna fiddle around with both my Roblox mouse sensitivity AND my PC mouse sensitivity just to find the right balance for one game, I’m gonna drop it and move onto something else.

6 Likes

Precise control over sensitivity is such an important thing to have. My father has a very very low sensitivity on his mouse, but my sister is used to having only a small area near her laptop to work with. Only 10 options for sensitivity is not going to satisfy both my sister and father. They might both find a sensitivity that works well enough but I can guarantee that at least one of them isn’t going to find the right sensitivity. This is especially tricky when your preferred sensitivity falls on the edge of the spectrum (either very high or very low).

Depending on the games you play you will also want to have a wildly different sensitivities. For example in shooter games having a low sensitivity is important to make it easier to snap to enemies. I have a DPI button on my mouse which I use to toggle between sensitivities when I’m playing Arsenal for example, but not every kid can afford a mouse with a DPI button.

I’ll give some examples from outside of Roblox as well to illustrate why fine control over sensitivity is important:

• Overwatch didn’t have the option to input decimals for sensitivity for a long time and the community pushed very hard for this feature. The developers eventually added it and high ranked players now heavily rely on this option. You can look up a list of professional players to find their settings, and you’ll find that many of them use decimals as can be seen in this highlighted column:
Sensitivity list

• There are online converters to port over your mouse sensitivity between online games. Implementation can differ wildly per game so you will often end up with decimal numbers. Here’s an example:

If Roblox wants to attract more players from different age ranges, then these kind of features are very important.

13 Likes

It’s difficult to adjust to these new changes with sensitivity, especially with games that depend on precise sensitivity such as shooter games. I was a little puzzled when I first heard that decimal inputs didn’t work anymore, considering the option was still given!

Additionally, the navigation in the new menu is a little confusing. I spent too much time looking for the reset button because I wasn’t aware that it was hidden under the three dots button. I think the reset button is used just as much as the leave button, so I’m wondering about the purpose behind hiding away that reset button…

3 Likes

I think a variety of folks in the Roblox community would like this feature to be maintained between versions. As developers, we’re kind of meant to cater to a demographic of players. Imagine playing on the original Nintendo Entertainment System, and a game you pop in uses B to jump instead of A - it goes against everything the player expects.

I don’t believe this was mentioned before on the Forum, but the ability to zip through different menus within the esc menu by striking Tab is gone. Personally, I used that to access the Performance Stats, Developer Console, and also to fuss with the graphics slider. I can’t speak for everyone, but we’re all picky in our own ways due to habit, whether it’s sensitivity or methods of bringing up certain debugging tools.

This is required to support all hardware. Integer increments do not work for an enormous number of products that all have varying degrees of built in sensitivity. There is no good reason to clamp this to integers.

If this was done intentionally, it can still look the same while actually being usable. You can have the required level of fine-grained control without straying from integers by simply increasing the scale range so there are many more discrete integers along the scale. Just multiply the displayed/manipulated value by 10 so the highest value is 100; this gives users precision in increments of 0.1, which seems acceptably usable judging by the numbers others have posted in this thread. Internally you can just divide it back down.

2 Likes

According to @roblox8192:

seems to be
new = old
0 = 0.2
1 = 0.36
2 = 0.52
3 = 0.68
4 = 0.84
5 = 1
6 = 1.6
7 = 2.2
8 = 2.8
9 = 3.4
10 = 4

So it seems people with 0.2 in the old scale are actually ok, but anyone else will need an adjustment, which is less than ok.

3 Likes

Looking into this and will follow up…

8 Likes

This is a massive problem for people like me, I’m very picky with how my sensitivity is in any game, and I try to get it to one particular speed (20° per inch) but even with my low DPI of 500, 0 camera sensitivity is NOT low enough.

I believe the optimal way to fix this would be to have the lowest setting while just using the slider as 1, but allow ANY double value to be inputted 0-10, 0 being literally 0 degrees per inch. Even capping it at 10 is questionable. give people flexibility for customization!

Camera sensitivity “0” left-most slider value MAKES NO SENSE - Make the slider cap at 1 and allow players to input any fractional value (eg. 0.1 or 0.05 or 1.15 or 2.1) - As of now it seems like the menu takes in those fractional values, but it doesn’t allow very slow mouse movement and it’s just unintuitive to configure overall (0 is still pretty fast? 0 is 0!). Some people who take shooter games seriously have their mouse settings set to pretty slow and the current menu doesn’t allow to do that so easily.
Screenshot_2

7 Likes

The new System Menu is turned on for all Mac users and some PC users. We have a new update for the Camera Sensitivity setting in the new System Menu that should resolve the issues that were brought up here. Thanks for the feedback on this!

We will support 2 decimals to allow for smaller tuning adjustments of the sensitivity. We are also changing the scaling a bit so it starts at a lower number.

The range will still be 0 to 10 and will include 0.01 to 9.99 and everything in between. However, the 0 setting will be mapped to a lower number, the equivalent of 0.01 in the old settings.

For those of you who had a favorite setting from the previous settings, here’s what it maps to:
0 = 0.01
1 = 0.21
2 = 0.41
3 = 0.60
4 = 0.80
5 = 1.00
6 = 1.60
7 = 2.20
8 = 2.80
9 = 3.40
10 = 4.00

We plan on turning this on next week on Thursday. Please feel free to share any feedback you have on this information. Thanks again for your great feedback.

6 Likes

Thank you for addressing the concerns!

With the brand new mapping of the settings,

Does this mean that if we were to input a value between 0 and 1 following tomorrow’s patch for this New UI, it would be limited to the range equivalent to 0.01 to 0.21 sensitivity from the Old UI or is the 0.21 within the list provided a value from this new UI’s previous functionality (pre-patch)?

For example, if I were to input 0.21 following this update, it would not be equivalent to 0.21 from the old UI due to the adjusted scaling of 1 equaling the old 0.21? The only reason I’m asking this is because from my interpretations, the New 0 = Old 0.01 and New 1 = Old 0.21 appear as if any new value between integers have more leeway, allowing us to better fine-tune our sensitivities, which I would like to have confirmed if that is the case.

In turn, this is enabling a larger range of slower sensitivities with fewer faster ones, as any sensitivities on the Old UI’s above 4 are not matched/included within the new scale’s maximum value, correct?

(shown here)

I might be looking into it too much, but since I normally used 0.065, 0.15, and 0.2 with the Old UI for various games, I just wanted some extra clarification since assuming that the new scaling matches with the old UI’s values and not ones from “pre-patch of the New UI”, that means that the 0.2 sens used prior to the UI overhaul would turn into a value just shy of 1, according to the list.

And if I am being confusing, I apologize haha