New In-Game Topbar

Like the playerlist, this looks… kinda bad. The emptiness combined with the new icon style, especially the quite large looking Roblox icon, just doesn’t fit well in my opinion.

2 Likes

Ima criticize this update, because why not? I like to criticize random things.

I like that the game menu button was replaced with the Roblox logo. As developers have no control over what’s in there, this helps to distinguish it from whatever game menu the developers have implemented.

I also like that the black background was removed. It felt a little intrusive. In addition, this alleviates the concern over the player list’s darker background.

I am, however, confused with the ellipsis.

18 Likes

Provided it remains the same height as the current iteration, this is a change I am quite proud of (unlike the PlayerList which could still use more work in my opinion) which ultimately improves the player UI aesthetically for the better.

3 Likes

The in game menu isn’t just a settings menu and this change makes sense in regards to our future vision for the in game menu.

17 Likes

The health bar looks outdated with the large pixel border and the color of green chosen, and the top bar needs to show your stats in a leaderboard again so you don’t have to scroll to your name, especially when in games with a large amount of players.

Not a big fan of the way the chat button looks either, seems kinda off and then the notification bubble for the chats looks just as outdated as the health bar.

12 Likes

That’s fair. How about the dimensions?

4 Likes

I’d go with a empty feeling here.
The roblox icon just doesn’t feel like a button and just feels like it’s a watermark instead of a natural feeling of a menu “hamburger” button type thingy.

I’d go with the modern theme as it does now line up with the leader board, but it just doesn’t feel like the right thing as the leader board is kinda less bulky, but then it expands when you click on the name and yes I know you can toggle it on-off, but it’s just the knowledge of knowing who’s in the game at all times.

Now with less buttons on the ui and that this doesn’t go with the default chat’s theme (same with the leader board) I have a feeling that the chat could be getting an up soon to match this Topbar or not?

:heart:

15 Likes

Will take some getting used to as it felt like the old one didnt really need a change, but it looks promising!

3 Likes

It looks so much cleaner! I really like this new top bar!

6 Likes

It feels like we’ve gone back to the more simple UX of late 2014 in terms of the top navigation, which is a good thing IMO :slight_smile:

4 Likes

You can currently do this by setting topbar transparency to 1.

6 Likes

Alright, so here’s my (fully explained) thoughts on this:

• Love the removal of the background - there’s a lot more space to work with. Has the inset size changed from 36? Does it still sink mouse events?

• The Roblox logo is too big - it should appear visually similar in size to the chat icon. Also it’s too far from the left of the screen.

• The drop shadows seem a bit too dark - lighter shadows might work better here, especially given the lack of shadows in other areas of the UI.

• Inconsistent filled/outline icon style in the ellipsis menu is a bit weird. Also might be better for the ellipsis icon to lose the circular outline and to make the ellipsis inside the circle bigger - it’s a bit visually noisy at the moment

• The healthbar is kinda hard to see - perhaps it should be put on a background or made more prominent against the game world somehow.

• Why was the account age indicator removed? Not complaining at all - it’s great to see it gone - but what was the reasoning for that?

Other than that, it’s a nice change :slightly_smiling_face:

23 Likes

I hope the future vision is allowing developers to completely disable and replace the in-game menu. Forcing us to use stock UI that doesn’t match the game’s theme is :-1:

11 Likes

Is there any specific reason behind why this is being deprecated? I know it is because of the new topbar being “transparent”, but come on. We should have the option to “fill” it so that people can’t see through it, with some games having some “Loading Screens” and don’t want people to see through it before the game is fully loaded.

9 Likes

I really like the new topbar and it’s icons. It makes it look stylish and modern!

5 Likes

I like the design of it, looks cool and also seems like something you’d see on the Xbox the thing about it is it feels like a sleek modern design which is good for other platforms as well, I’d like to see something similar on Xbox too it seems like it might fit there, Though I think the Roblox logo should be moved down a bit as it touches the top of the screen which looks weird to me, Without that the free space left is good for a somewhat better gaming experience for players view on the world around them and or more space to put UI elements instead of having a transparent bar at the top which covered some stuff by default and stopped people from having more space for their UI, also it confused new developers on how to get rid of it, Without that great design!

5 Likes

Will there be any way for us to revert to the hamburger menu? I’m not really a fan of using the Roblox logo, especially since I use a lot of custom UI and think that the Roblox logo as the menu button is kind of an eye sore.

9 Likes

I feel this change makes sense when linked with other UI changes such as the leaderboard or the navigation sidebar on the main site but it will be a shame to see the current topbar retired.

3 Likes

@Schedency You do have options in SurfaceGui's to ignore the topbar’s automatic push-down of 36px. Using this you can make a UI take up the full screen

12 Likes

Will will see accompanying APIs to compliment this update?

The TopBar is an ideal place to add menu navigators! It’s currently an enormously under-used area of a player’s screen, a large reason being it’s inaccessibility to developers. Why not introduce APIs to assist us with this? For example:

TopBar:CreateButton(name[string], image[imageId], order[int])

TopBar:GetButton(name)

TopBar:RemoveButton(name)

This enables developers to fully utilise their game’s topbar without the need to implement hacky-methods (such as custom topbars):

Secondly, will custom buttons within this area be interactable? For example, ButtonDown events currently do not work in the existing topbar. Will this change for the new one?

73 Likes