New In-Game Topbar

Ok new menu criticism time

This will follow the same format as my topbar critique

A lot more cluttered
The UI now looks a lot more cluttered and squished in there

The old UI menu, each option was clearly spaced and easy to understand, everything that was most commonly used was there in your face, now probably the most commonly used option, Reset Character, has been delegated to a sub menu in favour of what, the report option?
One good side is that the R keybind still works even when the sub menu is open

Roblox, please just use your already existing prompt system
This prompt looks like a Chinese knockoff of the already existing prompt gui for teleport failures and disconnections, again, it’s looks too clunky and in your face. Was there a reason why you couldn’t just use the pre-existing UI

Why are the most important settings in a submenu
I’m talking about Volume, Movement Mode, and Camera Mode

Volume is the most important here as someone could join a game and get their ears blasted by loud russian eardestroyer music and it’s much harder to reduce the volume of the Roblox client

Do we need a second player list to be the first option in the player menu

Nobody that I know uses the Invite Friends option from the menu, remove it or move it so it’s less important
Why not move it to the Players list where it was before

Wasn’t the report form more intuitive than this?

Nothing is organised
Opening the devconsole through the menu routes takes more clicks than ever, three clicks was much eaiser than 5

ps i’ve heard reports that cam sensitivity used to go down to about .1 and now it’s clamped to .2

17 Likes

These were technically already part of a sub menu since you had to click escape then “Settings” at the top. I do dislike how I can’t just hover over some of sliders such as the volume and toggle fullscreen and click left or right arrow to quickly adjust it as needed anymore, though.

Decimal values don’t seem to function quite at all anymore, or are at least rounded when they weren’t before. It also wasn’t limited at 0.1, as I utilized 0.065 quite frequently. It’s frustrating because “0” sensitivity is faster than what 0.065, or even 0.15 and 0.2 was for me.

Fortunately, someone has posted this as an Engine Bug to that section of the Developer Forum.

1 Like

I have a big problem from this. I have a vignette and it is supposed to fill the hole screen to look properly and now it won’t work well because the top bar is invisible and I tried resizing and it doesn’t work.

2 Likes

I really like this update, it gives a lot of more space. But I think the graphics designs on these buttons should be improve.

It’s more preferable, if we were able to integrate Roblox top bar design with current custom top bar that we as Devs created to fit our theme or our future GUI designs to integrate with Roblox Top Bar.

4 Likes

um, the X button on the right existed before but it is now covered by the new topbar

2 Likes

You can set your ScreenGui’s IgnoreGuiInset property to true to fix this.

3 Likes

I’ll try that actually. Thanks for the reply

To be honest, I don’t really like this new update. The buttons feel weird, and it doesn’t fit in with the game i’m currently making. I really want the old topbar, or at least a StarterGui:OldTopbarEnabled() function or something.

1 Like

You can just stick in your own topbar - it’ll look similar enough for most use cases, if you really want that.

I’m trying to… I just can’t get the old one back. RIP

Roblox would have to maintain two topbars if that was an option.

Why not mantain two topbars? Not like it’s that hard. I doubt they commonly change the topbar either.

Finally a guy that gets it.
(30 chars)

1 Like

I deleted this post character limit

This thinking compounds to produce bad results - Roblox have to maintain many features, especially ones that people rarely (if ever) actually use. Due to Roblox’s “your game won’t break because of us” core philosophy, everything has to be rigorously tested with each other before they’re implemented.

This means one of two things:

1. Roblox don’t add new features to the old Topbar - this means that the old Topbar and associated features will get slowly out of date and be more at risk of breaking
  2. Roblox back-tests all features with both Topbars - this means that every update to the UI has to be tested with two different functionalities - on top of every mobile, tablet, computer and tablet device (hence, slowing down the rate of development)

Not worth it really, since it’s very easy to just use something very similar to the Topbar (it can just be copied from the old CoreGui Repo) if for some reason it’s really necessary to do so.

5 Likes

Well atleast can they make the new topbar better? the new one isn’t really that great in my opinion

2 Likes

Since I joined Roblox, the topbar was just changed twice (or at least changes that I could notice): Once for adding the emotes, and another one for the recent changes in the GUI. I doubt mantaining two topbars will slow down new releases.

Either way, I don’t really see why people would stick to the old one. Sure, I understand why would some people rather the old one, but not why they’d not want it at all.

1 Like

Roblox aren’t going to roll back a feature just because you don’t like it. If you provide reasoning, and propose changes that might address specific issues (to show it’s not just familiarity at fault) then you might have more success.

2 Likes

@TheGamer101 I’ve been waiting a while for the new esc menu and the wait has really been growing on me, do you know when the new esc menu is supposed to release or no?

The Topbar isn’t just one distinct feature - it’s actually embedded within the wider menu design. Reverting to the old menu would involve changing all of that to two sets of code, and so would any future changes (which aren’t too infrequent to make it annoying enough for the developers behind it)

3 Likes