New In-Game Topbar

Everyone I know has it except for me. They must of been put into A/B Testing.

Personally i hate this change.
The roblox icon, as many others have said, looks like a watermark instead of a settings menu
I much prefer the old topbar, I prefer the hamburger icon too.

An idea ive had is that developers could possibly make their own core gui stuff, for example custom chat icons, custom settings icon and maybe more.

Edit: It doesnā€™t look like a watermark anymore :partying_face: (for me at least)

9 Likes

That would be a really good idea.

2 Likes

Malicious game devs would abuse it to try and steal passwords or just troll around.

Hamburger can imply that this is a menu for the game; the Roblox icon (with the button background makes it look like a button; in the original design, it did look more like a watermark) makes it very clear to the user that this is Robloxā€™s menu for Roblox settings, not for in-game settings.

1 Like

I Donā€™t believe than the Hamburger icon caused confusion over users(if it did they, roblox would mention it just like the did with builderā€™s club). Also i believe that the hamburger icon does imply much better than this is a menu. Newer players can thing that the roblox logo is a watermark just like in the website.
I Believe that people prefer it like in the following picture:
with

10 Likes

On the site, the Roblox button is a link; not a watermark.

What is your point here?

The button background (and its positioning to other buttons) makes it very clearly to be the Roblox menu. What if I want to use the hamburger icon in my game to represent my menu?

1 Like

I didnā€™t say than you canā€™t use it, i said that people prefer the roblox menu buttton with the hamburger icon and that the hamburger icon hasnā€™t caused confusion for the time it has existed.

As long as the icon is consistent (meaning that the menu button being always the same between ALL games) people can say what is the Roblox Menu button and what is the gameā€™s menu button.

What i mean by the roblox icon in the website is not that is a link i talk about that new player will take it as a ā€œwatermarkā€ and since the menu icon happens to be positioned in the same way that the website icon is positioned, new players could mistake it for a ā€œwatermarkā€.

1 Like

Iā€™m in the beta program, but still donā€™t have the new settings menu. Any ideas why?

Because the new menu uses A/B Testing. It is given out randomly.

In my opinion, this update is pretty cool. It gives a fresh look to the Roblox in-game toolbar. Of course, we will miss the old toolbar but this definitely is an awesome update. My favourite part is the leader board itā€™s so clean and smooth. Regardless of what others think, this is an amazing update!
Thanks to everyone for the kind words! And please let me know if I should more of these in the future once Iā€™m done with my current projects, anyway, have a great day!

2 Likes

I believe that Iā€™m a part of beta testing for a new settings UI style and I have some feedback on it, and this seems to be the best place for it. Please let me know if I can post this somewhere more relevant.

Firstly, there are several pretty large issues with the new UI that are important to me:

1. In order to see the players in game you no longer can simply press escape to take a look and see if your friends are online. I found this to be a very nice feature of the older UI. There is a ton of extra space on the righthand side of the UI and I think itā€™d be fine to simply stick the Players section off to the side, and minimize it when switching to Settings or some other tab.
  2. Itā€™s no longer possible to quickly add a user as a friend through the UI. The old UI took simply pressing Esc, and clicking once. The new UI now takes 3 clicks to add a user.
  3. Itā€™s no longer possible at all to follow a user from in game. This is partially a menu thing and partially a leaderboard thing. I heavily prefer following users I want to keep track of over friending them since there is a cap to the number of friends I can have and the user has to accept the request on top of this. I used to simply follow people through the leaderboard so I could easily spot their names (e.g. when you want to easily see what teams you are all on, stuff like that). There are cases where the other person doesnā€™t want to friend me as well, whereas a follow would not necessarily be mutual.
  4. The Camera Sensitivity option now has nowhere near the amount of precision it had prior and this has led to me having to readjust to a slightly different mouse sensitivity. (A limited range of 10 for mouse sensitivity, presumably 5 being a 1x multiplier is super super low accuracy). I definitely understand why this change was made as the weird decimal multiplier input the old UI had was likely very confusing for people. I however think that this should be preserved. I think this could be done similar to how body colors were done in the avatar page with an Advanced section (this could likely be in the Advanced Settings subpage, perhaps titled ā€œPrecise sensitivityā€ and the sensitivity slider in the previous page could simply update the precise sensitivity value)

However, with these issues Iā€™d also like to emphasize what I really like about the new UI.

1. The UI is not very cluttered or busy looking. Buttons and settings are concise and clear as to what they are, and things are kept in their own sections.
  2. The new dropdown menu for movement & camera modes is much much better than it was before. Itā€™s a lot easier to simply click once and then select exactly what you want than to click through until you find it.
  3. I like that the reset button is now under a sub menu, and I am glad that the original keybinds were still preserved despite this. This reduces overall clutter since resetting quickly is generally not needed so people who click wonā€™t really have an issue likely, but it can still be done quickly through the keybind which is clearly listed.
  4. All of the icons in the UI have clearly been thought out and have a unique style to them. Key icons are clearly key icons. In controls, the scroll wheel, mouse buttons, etc are highlighted well, and the way the mouse icons were designed makes it very clear that it means ā€œclick.ā€
  5. Haha the green UI prevails finally! (Now I donā€™t have to mod all of my assets each update to get green UI! By the way, blue is my least favorite UI color because itā€™s overused by everyone, please, everyone, stop using blue it makes my eyes hurt a lot, please, or youā€™ll perish)
4 Likes

Iā€™m going to miss the old hamburger :frowning:

2 Likes

There is a fix on the way for the camera sensitivity issue, this should hopefully be fixed soon.

Thanks for your detailed feedback!

4 Likes

After the new Roblox client update, Iā€™ve lost my AB test menu (the new menu, not the topbar buttons)
Iā€™m not really sure why.

3 Likes

Me too, I seem to have the old menu now, not the new one.

1 Like

I had the new Bar for a while, but then suddenly lost it about an hour ago, I donā€™t mind the old one at all, But I wish that there were a few edits so that the top bar wasnā€™t just empty, It makes the leader board look quite out of place.

Since the Transparency for it is being deprecated, Will there be any other way to add a new one on?

2 Likes

Iā€™ve experienced the same thing. At first it only affected one or two games I was playing, but after a few hours, havenā€™t been presented with the new UI since.

i lost the new in game menu completely

idk why this is happening i love the new ui a lot and this just makes me sad :frowning: plz fix this

4 Likes

Hm, I did favor the older GUI more than this new one now. I believe there should be an option to change the type of GUI you would prefer, the newer or the older.

2 Likes

Was this update reverted? I can see the old menu now

2 Likes