New Keybinds for Keyboard Navigation

i have literally accidently pressed this like 50 times a day and i didnt know about this so i would rejoin. please make a setting where this can be turned off

7 Likes

Not that it shouldn’t be a single key, but features like ‘Sticky Keys’ in operating systems are created to simplify using key combinations.
And F7 is often used to enable caret navigation in Web Browsers.

2 Likes

I actually mis clicked this a few days ago and wondered why my controls had gone like this, I definitely think this feature should be toggleable or the key you have to press could be reconsidered.

Edit: I just saw that there was a way to disable it but I still think that backslash isn’t a great key to choose.

4 Likes

Do you even realize that we can disable all core inputs except the Esc menu and make our own? Plus nobody even knows the controls section of the settings menu exists apart from developers nor do people care anyway.
I would personally go deep into making my own version of the core instead of using your system if I ever feel the need to. Refusing to add this simple shortcut to rebind core inputs while having a more complex yet fairly simple workaround won’t stop anyone!

2 Likes

I was wondering why I was getting bug reports of players not able to use custom camera controls…

It’s this ridiculous update that was given without warning and automatically enabled.
Thanks a lot.

4 Likes

This is an extremely annoying update
with my scandinavian keyboard layout, my chat keybind, first of all, randomly differentiates between 3-4 keys (ex. ', /, -), that’s whatever, I get used to it.
then this new keybind decides to also sometimes be either ' (which is backslash I guess) or ½ which is the tilde key.

if I’m playing a combat game, suddenly I stop moving, take big guesses to which key is the UI Selection key, accidentally hit the chat key, keep taking guesses because I haven’t noticed, close the chat, then turn it off - within that timeframe I’ve already been killed by an opponent

this is so dumb man

5 Likes

Finally, something useful for those people with touchpads XD

2 Likes

Hi,

@WheretIB or @BitwiseAndrea I am having the exact same issue as @blockleman on my Nordic keyboard layout and this update has also been interfering with my gameplay quite a bit. Please, I really hope this could be addressed and possibly re-mapped.

Thank you in advance.

2 Likes

@blockleman would you both be able to give me the details on your keyboards? We call GetStringForKeycode in our controls page code so it’s not a bug with this keybind, it’s a bug with how your keyboards are recognized by the engine. Or if you would be able to post a bug report related to your specific issues with keybinds on this keyboard, that would be great.

2 Likes

Hi, thank you for the response.

You’re right, there must be something wrong with how the engine detects our keyboards and I’ll be sure to make a bug report regarding this.

To prove this, throughout my time on Roblox the way I’ve opened the chat is through Shift+7 which is the “/” button for us, however according to the help tab, the “-” button should open chat but it doesn’t, it does nothing.

My keyboard is custom built but the most important part is the layout which is widely known as the “Nordic ISO Layout”. I experience the same issue on all other keyboards with the Nordic ISO Layout.

Language code:
ISO 639-1
fi

Board:
Keychron Q1 QMK Custom Mechanical Keyboard - Version 2 ( Nordic ISO Layout )
Barebone ISO Knob / Carbon Black / Barebone

(Stock image for reference)

Switches:
Gateron Box Ink V2 Pink

Keycaps:
ETERNITY 116 Keys Keycap set PBT

1 Like

Last question - what is your OS?

You have screwed everyone with an ISO keyboard (practically whole Europe and South America). I have had already complaints about players not being able to move in my game, by accidently pressing the \ key. It is placed right under A key (between Z and left shift).

Why would you even include UI Selection Toggle to be a thing in a desktop client in the first place? This should only be a thing for players without a mouse nor touchscreen imho.

This is stupid.

1 Like

Hi,

I’ll give you the detailed OS specifications soon but I went the extra mile and tested this on both my Windows 10 desktop computer and Windows 11 laptop and the results are quite interesting.

When using the default built in keyboard on my Windows 11 laptop, the help page in game shows that the GUI Navigation should work with the ’ button, however this does not work and is rather triggered with the § button which is the button left of 1 on our keyboards:

(Picture of the built-in keyboard on my laptop)

Same goes for the chat button - which does not work either.

While still in game, I plugged in the custom keyboard that I mentioned in my previous post into my laptop and nothing changed until I re-joined. That’s when I experienced the same behaviour as in my previous post where the ’ button now correctly opens the GUI Navigation but the chat button still does not work.

I am unable to consistently reproduce the issue @blockleman mentioned with regards to the GUI Navigation keybind randomly getting re-mapped on its own. I do however occasionally experience that issue seemingly out of the blue.

Now for the technical specifications with some extra information that I think might be beneficial:

Windows 10 SPECIFICATIONS:

Brand: This desktop computer is custom built.

DxDiag shows:

• Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 19044) (19041.vb_release.191206-1406)

As for locale settings:

• Language: Finnish (Regional Setting: Finnish)

Visualization of my settings:

Not sure if this helps but in Unix shell the equivalent locale would be generated with sudo locale-gen fi_FI.UTF-8

Windows 11 SPECIFICATIONS:

Brand: ASUS TUF GAMING F15.

DxDiag shows:

• Operating System: Windows 11 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)

As for locale settings:

• Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

Visualization of my settings:

Let me know if you need the full output log from DxDiag for both of the OS, I could PM the text files.

2 Likes

I’ve recently been toggling it on a lot and not being able to toggle it off. It even automatically toggles on when I’ve join experiences. Any tips with this?

I have only 1 complaint about this update, I noticed that in the game I see how players are faced with the fact that somehow they have a blue discharge from Gui, it does not give them the opportunity to walk or do something, they do not know how to turn it off, I myself have encountered this so that to remove it, I had to quit the game, I had to look for information about it, it turned out that it was a recent update
I used a translator to publish this message, I hope everything will be clear, I apologize if not

Hey! I really really like this feature, however some players can’t easily figure this out, so can we please have an indicator along the lines of ‘Press \ to exit GUI navigation mode’? Thank you!

1 Like

This keybind is in too common of a position on the keyboard (next to hitting Enter after chatting) that I’ve seen too many people say “my character is stuck!” because they can’t see that a button in the corner of my game has randomly selected.

Worse is that they don’t know how they did it and don’t know how to undo it (if they even notice the selection outline). This happened to me the first time too and I had to hit lots of keys to figure it out.

As well intentioned as the update is, you’ve confused far more people than you’ve aided with this one. The keybind needs a rethink.

Why not just add it as an option in the Escape menu?

5 Likes

this is incredibly intrusive, and very often inconveniences players for no reason (i’ve had multiple reports of people being “unable to move” and asked me to “get rid of this stupid blue grid”) is there no better default option than to force this on everyone?

6 Likes

Cool feature, how do I disable it?

3 Likes

Disable it automatically, nobody knows why there’s a blue box appearing all of a sudden and everyone’s resorting to keyboard smashing to turn it off.