New Platformer Template!

I tested this template and am very impressed with the “4th” new template series.
It just seems to be getting better every time - Thanks !!

Just have an odd Template request, that maybe Roblox can create, and we can modify the game play around it, to fit our experience?
The reason for this is that people can get more professionally looking & working games done a lot faster - which will improve playable games.

1. Is it possible to create a UI system that people can alter.
    UI’s can be very difficult - both for non-artists and also non-scripters.
    A main UI for System settings, that players can change on their devices.

2. Also a ready made Leaderstats and/or Leaderboard that can be modified as well.
    Dev’s can then change what they need on there (Coins, Kills, Damage, etc).

3. And finally for the player’s GUI: Health Bars, Coins/Gems, Shops/buffs, etc.
    Dev’s can then either modify them, or delete them, for what’s not needed.

I don’t know for many others, but I have been on Studio for over 2 years, and these are the things that limit me from completing experiences for release.
And I’m sure there are many others that could benefit from a template like this.
I’m sure there’s others can think of - but these should the main ones.

It would be greatly appreciated if it could be possible.
At least something people unfamiliar with these - don’t get stuck on for ages.

THANKS.

4 Likes

close enough nerf the credit card

Those are very helpful for people who have a good grasp of scripting but yet, still don’t know how to implement them.

Looks very nice. Amazing work!

I understand that this is meant to be a resource for new roblox developers, but guys, we can’t have a bunch of premade templates popping up on roblox.

When the laser tag template released, someone published it, and the only changes I saw were the name. Somehow, it peaked 75 active players (what the [redacted]), and a whopping 2000 visits. Nothing was changed, and I mean NOTHING. I won’t say what the game was called because I dont wanna get banned for personal attacks lol. Anyways, this template looks pretty cool and could easily get a few active players if the right person published it at the right time.

1 Like

that looks so fun! we should make it so if you hit the wall you take damage and also get ragdolled that would be a W

Not to be off topic but roblox should really invest their time in their moderation I’m sure adding ai was literally enough because now literal noobs can make blox fruits :skull:

2 Likes

I am not coding a ragdoll system, but I did make it subtract your health everytime you bonk a wall.

Removes 25 of your health every wall bonk.

Pretty simple to do, I just added character.Humanoid.Health = character.Humanoid.Health - 25 to the WallImpact module in game.ReplicatedStorage.Platformer.Scripts.Effects

1 Like

You do know each company has a [team] department for everything?

3 Likes

uh… this is a template. Do all that stuff in your version of it.

3 Likes

Once again, amazing work, it’s always nice to have modern examples of “well made” games/systems/prototypes for new & current developers to look at. Expecting more varied templates soon

Great template! I have loved the mechanics and the smoothness of everything.
I just have oooone question. I noticed that in ReplicatedStorage-Gameplay-Constants

there is a setting for coins spinning. I feel like the coins feel really awkward when they are facing one direction and are completely static.

I did some deeper digging and, correct me if I’m wrong, I am pretty sure there are no scripts in the template that use these constants and I am really struggling to find out how to use them to spin the coin. If anyone has any idea how to use this I would really appreciate it.
Thank you!!!

3 Likes

I altered the CoinController modulescript’s initialize() function to look like this:

local RunService = game:GetService("RunService")
function CoinController:initialize()
	-- When the coin is touched by our character we'll try to pick it up.
	-- Touches are being detected locally so that picking up feels super responsive.
	table.insert(
		self.connections,
		self.coin.Touched:Connect(function(hit: BasePart)
			if hit.Parent == player.Character then
				self:tryPickup()
			end
		end)
	)
	table.insert(
		self.connections,
		RunService.PreRender:Connect(function(dt)
			self.timing += Constants.COIN_SPIN_RATE * dt
			self.timing %= math.pi*2
			self.visual:PivotTo(self.coin.CFrame * 
				CFrame.Angles(0,self.timing,0) + 
				Vector3.yAxis * math.sin(self.timing) * Constants.COIN_HOVER_HEIGHT
			)
		end)
	)

self:updateVisibility()
end

and in the new() function the self table I added timing

local self = {
		coin = coin,
		visual = visual,
		timing = (coin.Position.X+coin.Position.Z)*.1,
		connections = {},
	}

also added hover height constant

COIN_HOVER_HEIGHT = .5

It may be better to do all this in just one prerender though looping through all the coins and I haven’t implemented their max spin distance or update rate.
Looks nice though

messing with the STUN_BOUNCE_HEIGHT is too much fun

10 Likes

I know, that’s just in case they remove it in the future

Welp, even if they remove it, it’s not complety gone, since it will still be on the templates account as any other removed template and because of that you can still use it.

1 Like

I’ve just found out this doesn’t have R6 animations, so I decided to edit some scripts so it has R6 animations. All rolling animations have the same one, except just normally rolling which is slightly modified (you go in the floor instead of flying like double jump). :D

It still contains R15 ones too, so the player can still make it R15 or Both Rigs.

Here’s the RBXL file download for it:
PlatformerR6.rbxl (272.8 KB)

Also, I will include a video here showing the animations:

2 Likes

Cool template! All I wanted was explanations cause it’s hard to comprehend the system by reading scripts that are 1500+ lines.

Hello, I found a few bugs.

1. This one is really weird, whenever you set the players WalkSpeed to 0, it pauses the gameplay and kills the player, I see the WalkSpeed being used for dividing certain things, must be related to that.
  2. Whenever you long jump against a wall, and it kicks you back and you land in water, it doesn’t stop you.

This is everything I could find so far. ^^

I developed a quick small game that utilizes the template. Overall this template has a lot of great potential.

yeah, its possible. it just needs timing