New Platformer Template!

:wink:

No promises but I do want to put some enemy/minion AI into one of our templates

Great catch, thank you! I’ll look into addressing this soon.

We considered using the new controller but opted against it because it would require re-implementing a lot of the humanoid state machine, increasing the complexity of the project and duplicating work already being undertaken by other teams here. Once the new controllers are a bit more integrated we’re planning to switch over to them :+1:

17 Likes

THANK YOU SO MUCH

I am so excited to finally use this and make a different version of Mario 64, lol. I think Roblox is on a roll with the templates. :smiley:

4 Likes

My childhood :sob::heart:

I’ll never forget you!!!

4 Likes

WOW! Fps templates, now parkour platformer templates? Keep up the good works roblox! That so good, you’re releasing a free platformer and FPS template just for us to get and make our own games inside it! Thank you so much roblox!!!

2 Likes

w template, now time to add rising lav-

5 Likes

If it’s moved with the Physics system, you don’t need to add custom code horizontally moving characters along with the platform they’re standing on, which you would need to do using CFrame’ing/TweenService

7 Likes

I’m back. I took a look at the platformer, and I have mixed thoughts. What’s available on the template is satisfying but I’m afraid to say that it’s definitely incomplete for a platformer.

For starters, platformers generally include the wall jump and wall slide mechanics which can be used in between the empty spacing of two walls parallel to each other around the same height and width. In a wall jump, you rely on jumping on both walls in order to get to the top of one wall. In a wall slide, you head from the top of a wall down to the bottom of the same wall by kind of holding on to it as a way of creating resistance to the speed you fall down at.

Lack of Wall Jumps POC

Lack of Wall Slide POC

1. Do you see all of this unused ground surrounding the map?

Usually in platformer games, stepping outside of the game boundary would kill the player and cause the player to respawn at the spawn point. For instance, usually where I’m stepping on in the screenshot would be water or lava. Perhaps you could also implement another mechanic where if you step outside of the map, the player automatically plays an animation of being hurt (by lava) or drowning (by water) and a cutscene of a round vignette effect closing in on the player could play, and once the screen is all dark, the player could be at their spawn point a moment later.

1. The end of the platformer is just empty. :uhh: I know that your expectation is for the developer to do as they please with their handling of the end of the game but usually in platformers, other than coins, there is usually something critical to collect at the end of a platformer map. It could be another currency or some sort of object necessary to collect from each platformer map. It would be nice if such an object existed and that when we collected it, a unique player animation played.

2. I wish there was a way to access the planets in the sky. Usually in platformer games, the developers hide secrets hidden in places that the player doesn’t think of stopping by to. For instance, you could have hidden more coins on them or placed easter egg for players to discover.

3. I wish your team took the time and effort to implement a unique UI displaying your coin count rather than relying on the default playerlist and leaderstat UI. The default UI is a thing of the past in popular application, nowadays it’s all about custom UI designs.

4. I think this pillar was meant to be double jumped on but I don’t think it’s possible.

5. In some platformers, there are enemies out to chase and kill you during your journey to the end. I’m glad to hear that you are considering to put enemy/minion AI into a future template. If I were a platformer developer, I’d grab that and put it into the platformer.

6. In many platformers there are player checkpoints that the player can touch. Once touched the player will respawn there from now on. I wish there was a player checkpoint on this template.

Overall, I like what there is, it’s useful, but it doesn’t feel enough. It’s too basic. I want more. In future templates, please focus more on gameplay and mechanics. I want more content.

7 Likes

They didn’t delete it, you can still use it.

4 Likes

Hey, that’s cool and all,

But, we wouldn’t need this extra part if we had Emission Maps!

12 Likes

Roblox is cooking so hard with their updates. To all of you that worked on the updates, you all deserve a pat on the back.

I’m curious how this is happening, new managers, more budget?

anyways, thanks!

8 Likes

I have thought of the same idea lol

4 Likes

Omg Super Mario is coming to Roblox, totally not clickbait

5 Likes

It would be very helpful for future creations!

This template is awesome, controls amazingly, and the animations are wonderful.

This animation is so funny [NOTE: This ROBLOXian was wasn’t harmed in the making of this video.]

7 Likes

With minimal effort (copying and pasting), you can replace the double jump with the dash, sort of giving you the homing attack that Modern Sonic has!

3 Likes

Would be cool if there was wall jumping between two walls, like what you’d see in most modern platformer games such as the Super Mario franchise.

1 Like

I am a little disappointed. The moves had all these cool animations to make them feel really fluid when first trying them out in R15, but when I switch to R6, all of that is gone. Will R6 support be considered for this template and the ones coming in the future?

I feel like it would be too much effort to animate these in R15, then R6. A lot of the animations here look really well animated.

ooo, that does look rll good tho tbh, I agree wit you

2 Likes

There was a different route - It seems that one was meant to trick people.

1 Like