New Procedural Particle Emitter Shapes

I’ve been waiting for this thanks! :grin:

15 Likes

good good good, please add some more funny shapes, yes

i waited for this, its finnaly here :smiley:

9 Likes

Note that a random-number-generation seed issue as helpfully reported by Roblox creator @BlazeImperium (here, on Twitter: https://twitter.com/imperialflame/status/1447422898893885440) is fixed and will go out in the next release of Studio.

14 Likes

Ok cool now when collision particles.

40 Likes

Finally, we can make particles that act like ones in blender!

Though kind of unrelated but one thing that bothers me when working with particles is when I select multiple particles and try to edit their color, size or transparency the property cannot be edited (Because its a ColorSequence or whatever). Wish it would let us just set it to a single color.

10 Likes

People are seeing some bugs with a particle system for a rain effect I released some time ago, it seems like particles freeze when the camera is moved, do you know if this could have been caused by your changes?

The rain effect rapidly repositions a particle emitter across the space (in Attachments) to put rain particles in certain places.

Perhaps your change is causing the particle emitter to not recalculate its bounding box where it previously would update…

11 Likes

This is amazing and I can’t wait to try it out! I am really glad that particles are being added on, I feel like they needed something else to them and this could be it.

Anyways now the real question is can this beat Unity’s particle system!??!

One thing I wanted to ask is if there are any guides or tips on how each of those shapes was made in the preview?

2 Likes

People are seeing some bugs with a particle system for a rain effect I released some time ago, it seems like particles freeze when the camera is moved, do you know if this could have been caused by your changes?

Can you send me an .rblx file that shows this behaviour? I’ll take a look!

3 Likes

Throw a part (box-shape is easiest) into the scene, and make it slightly transparent. Then add a particle emitter underneath. Now simply play with the four new “Shape” properties, and it should be pretty straightforward to reproduce the ones in the preview video (I’m not an artist, so the video shows pretty much the bare-bones out of the box creations).

If you have specific questions, don’t hesitate to ask here though!

4 Likes

The cone shape will be great for christmas trees/ lights :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Is it possible to add another feature where you can make it the shape of a mesh you imported?

6 Likes

This is amazing, but what about sprite sheets for ParticleEmitter and maybe collision physics, like the Unity system? for example, Phantom Forces has its own particle system for creating the bullet impact effect as it collides with world objects and trail effect, built-in features like the ones I said could be very useful.

4 Likes

We’ve experimented locally with mesh-shaped emitters, it’s on the roadmap, but unfortunately I can’t commit to an actual ETA.

9 Likes

Stay tuned for a post about this very soon.

26 Likes

This improvement would give a new use to the particles, we just need to see what cool things users will do

I posted it as a separate bug report for better tracking purposes: Particle effect library no longer renders correctly when camera is moving

Please let me know there if you have additional questions

7 Likes

This was badly needed looks great :+1:

It’s easy To use the particle for make?.

Is there a reason the cylinder particle shape doesn’t follow the orientation of cylinder parts? It feels odd that it would take two parts to make the particles follow the actual rounded surface of the cylinder.

image image

8 Likes

Super cool!

It would also be awesome if we could create our own shapes. Perhaps one day it could be as easy as to model a mesh, upload it to Roblox then have the geometry of the mesh work as the shape for the particle emitter.

Something tells me the way this is setup currently that such a feature won’t be possible without quite a bit of work, but it would be pretty neat.

4 Likes