New Programs Available: “Roblox China” Licensed to Operate

Oh man, Can’t wait to work with one of the worst countries in the world for human rights!
all the restrictions I’ll have to follow to do so will make for a fun, and enjoyable journey!. thanks, Roblox, this is exactly what we need! forget about everything else, Roblox China is what we all asked for!

9 Likes

Do you see any up-sides other than addictional revenue in “Roblox China”?

2 Likes

Okay, I really have to question where your moral compass is at.

It doesn’t matter that we’re not literally aiding China in moving their Uyghur population into re-education camps and literally administering the population control measures such as forced sterilization. When you participate in business with somebody who is committing horrible atrocities, you enable them to continue their evil acts. Do you not hear about the outcries of people about not enabling rapists and murderers? If your business partner was convicted of child rape, would you still continue to engage in business with them? Or, would you immediately disavow their actions and cut all ties?

It seems like you are hopelessly logical and have lost all humanity in the process.

13 Likes

I wish we had that here lol! That’s way better (and more real) than parts flying everywhere

Other than this (^^) I will not comply or put my games on there.

2 Likes

Urm… This rule-

In order for UGC to comply with PRC laws, China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, and Macau should not be referred to as separate countries

Not too great.

Andd this one too.

All text should be translated into Simplified Chinese

Simplified isn’t the only type of Chinese characters out there. There’s traditional.

2 Likes

That is true, but considering how this is more or less marketed towards the mainland (which reads in simplified) it kinda makes sense.

Okay, China does violate wayyy too many human rights. But I think Chinese people just get a bad rep because of how the government rules.

4 Likes

Exactly, most of the mainland uses simplified so it makes sense that they would focus their efforts on translating to simplified chinese in order to reach a larger audience.

Roblox isn’t saying that simplified is the only form of chinese
Roblox is providing a free translation into simplified chinese in order to make our games more accessible to people living in the mainland.

It is extremely foolish to think that Tencent and the CCP are anything but connected. The power structure in China is very different to that in the rest of the world. In the western world, companies are ruled by regulations and regulatory boards, like how Roblox must abide by the rules of COPPA for underage users. You might say, “well, then in that case China and the rest of the world aren’t so different.”

However, the important distinction between the west and China is that the west runs on democratic systems, whereas in China there is no concept of democracy. In China, the CCP freely leverages their powers over corporations operating in their country with zero accountability from their citizenship; this allows them to do things such as preventing companies from doing ANYTHING that opposes their interests.

Think of how many corporations operate in the United States that are really just campaigns against the US government. You can say what you want about the federal government without worrying about losing your business, within reasonable bounds (such as no planning to commit acts of domestic terrorism). In China, you cannot speak a single word that is ill towards the CCP. If a company were to allow its users to do such an act without repercussion, they would be immediately banned.

The level of control that the CCP has over all of the corporations operating in its space, including Tencent, is why when we support a Roblox partnership with Tencent, we are also supporting a Roblox partnership with the CCP.

I am very disappointed by your naivety; if you were to ask anyone who is ethnically Chinese but not a citizen of the PRC, they would be able to tell you about all of this.

16 Likes

But not all. There’s still other places in China where they still use traditional characters so it would make sense to localize the games both in simplified and traditional characters.

For me, I’m not for the “Roblox China” licensing, and I’m not for Roblox partnering with Tencent. However that thought of mine will probably just be a small word said in this forum, before it is closed from public commenting. I know nothing will come of me typing, but I’ll say this.

I don’t think its wise for Roblox to incorporate Tencent with their partnership. Sure Tencent is big, but I don’t agree with what they do. I wonder what other solutions there are, than partnering with another company…

I’d be pretending to know about the stuff said on this forum if I spoke about it, so that’s all I’ll say, other than props to this hopefully working out.

I’m gonna say this. Taiwan is not part of China, it is not under the Chinese firewall. It has it’s own government that is a democracy. So just please stop saying that Taiwan is part of China and it’s under the Chinese firewall. (Just adding to the post not talking to you.)

2 Likes

They must partner with Tencent or some other Chinese company to enter the Chinese market. Basically, what the CCP does is it walls off its economy, but then has select corporations under its control that act as the gatekeepers, inviting over western companies with the temptation of money and then peddling CCP influence and pushing for CCP agendas through said companies.

You must receive permission to enter the Chinese ecosystem, and the right of passage to accomplish that would be partnering with the likes of Tencent.

7 Likes

I believe the point Ty_Scripts was making is that when you release games in a country, you must follow their laws. If you don’t like their laws, you cannot release a game in their country. They were not passing judgement or comparing the laws in the US/UK and in China, simply stating a fact that one must follow the law of the land wherever they are operating.

If China has laws that don’t agree with you, you are forced to simply not release a game there.

1 Like

@Fluffmiceter Responding to your reply. It seems you take the most issue with my last paragraph. Let me be clear, my intention is not to let 100% free markets change China. That’s how we got where we are now. I neglected to mention in my last paragraph that the only way we can pressure the CCP to cycle out is to pressure our own governments around the world to instill economic regulations. The CCP speaks in money. Undemocratic capitalism is a real thing that our politicians failed to see or intentionally ignored. We need to try to get into the Chinese market ourselves and quit trying to get people to ‘just ignore the Chinese market or not buy Chinese products’. It’s the exact same thing as the corporate campaign to make people try to recycle and ‘buy smart’. Yeah it’s something we should try to be doing, but it’s really a propaganda machine to make the workers of the world feel like they’re to blame for buying irresponsibly rather than it being the fault of the corporations making excessive pollution or the fault of our government for failing to regulate said pollution. On the other hand, if we’re going to shun the Chinese market for the sake of morals against the CCP, then we must go all out and pressure our governments to force that on corporations too, or we’re just left sitting in the dirt with nothing while the big corporations kill jobs for the sake of profits. I do my part by voting and donating to organizations I believe in. Change in China will likely be slow, especially because their economy is still booming. The world’s progress to a better future is always two steps forward and one step back.

@Oficcer_F Responding to your reply. The situation with the USSR is completely different. They collapsed due to lack of control over their orbiting countries and an overzealous attachment to communism while simultaneously allowing the powerful among them to reap the benefits of capitalism. It’s not a comparison we can make sense of. Read my above reply for more details.

@WaterGuy130 Read the top paragraph I wrote here for my response to the liberalization of China’s economy.

2 Likes

I do not like that so many companies are involved in the Chinese economy. In fact, I hate it. I was happy to hear recent news that Apple is moving their iPad production to India, which is a step in the right direction. But, there is still LOTS of work to be done.

But this is once again a strawman argument. The fact that other companies are involved in China does not excuse Roblox from joining in on it. Given the fact that practically every tech company is tied to China in one way or another, I am pretty much powerless to avoid them – Apple, Google, Microsoft are all tied to China in one way or another, and I don’t think anyone can argue for the viability of a lifestyle in modern day that doesn’t involve a smartphone or a desktop computer. But, what is in my powers is to warn everyone of the danger that is China, to strongly dissuade developers from falling for the China trap. So I will do exactly that.

I just proved to you that Tencent is aiding in the actions of the CCP, one of which includes the ethnocide of the Uyghur people, by stating the fact that CCP has full control over Tencent. If you wish to deny this, you would need to give me meaningful proof that the CCP does not have full, unrestrained control over Tencent (in other words, prove to me that Tencent is not an asset of the CCP).

At every step of this argument, you sought to misdirect and shame us from taking a stance. I now have no reason to believe you are arguing in good faith, in pursuit of the truth; instead you have some ulterior motivations and interests that are driving you to vehemently defend one of the worst human rights abusers of our time. Good day.

11 Likes

I didn’t say that? Moreover, you changed it from devs to Robloxians in general. If you’re gonna complain about strawman arguments, don’t make them yourself.

Prop most likely refers to common household items and such, like vases or bottles.

Well looks like you missed the main issue. I’ll quote it for you.

So now I’m supposed to give you answers to something I didn’t say?

Yeah. China is not well known to have such a good government and have been very well known of stealing intellectual property.

1 Like