We are excited to announce that “Roblox China,” also known as the LuoBuLeSi application, received its license to operate in China! This application will be developed jointly by Luobu (Roblox China Team) and Roblox, while our partner, Tencent, will take on local publishing and operating responsibilities.
China is the largest gaming market in the world with annual revenues exceeding $37B, making the release of Roblox China a tremendous opportunity for any developer looking to expand their audience! In celebration of this, we are launching two new programs for eligible developers wishing to take advantage of the massive market opportunity that is China.
The first program is called the Guaranteed Payout Pool (GPP). This program provides financial support for early entrants into the China market by offering $2.4M in total payouts to eligible developers. If you are ready to invest in Roblox China’s long-term growth, this is the program for you.
The second program is called China Fast Track. This is a highly selective program for developers that have demonstrated a previous record of success. It will provide services to expedite the readiness of experiences for the China market and ensure proper visibility and discoverability of experiences when they are released on Roblox China.
GPP and China Fast Track participation are not exclusive to each other; developers are encouraged to apply to participate in both with the understanding the China Fast Track will be more selective. We will also provide localization assistance to all program participants who want to ensure their content is as native to the Chinese audience as possible. Our goal with both of these programs is to grow the content catalogue in China with the most amazing and engaging content from around the world!
Guaranteed Payout Pool (GPP) Overview
The GPP program is designed to make it easy for developers who want to become first movers into the China ecosystem. We are confident that the Roblox China market will evolve into a massive financial opportunity for both local and global developers, but we will need a catalogue of incredible experiences in order to grow the platform’s player base!
As the app begins to grow its user base, we want to offer support for developers who are interested in taking advantage of this unique opportunity. To accomplish this, Luobu and Roblox will be offering a total of $2.4M in payouts to eligible developers over 12 months, beginning February 2021.
At the end of each month, during the 12 month period, Luobu and Roblox will distribute $200,000 USD among eligible developers in the GPP program. Each developer’s payment will be based on their percentage contribution to overall engagement on Roblox China.
GPP Application Process & Eligibility
In order to be considered for publishing on Roblox China, developers must submit a GPP program application. Upon submission, your application will be reviewed based on the following criteria:
- Content is compliant with all local Chinese laws and regulations. Guidelines can be found in the application to the program.
- Developer has a history of respecting Roblox’s community rules and guidelines
- Created experiences have demonstrated previous record of success
- Active DevForum account
If you meet the above criteria and are interested in participating, be sure to apply before applications close on March 10th. You will be notified within 2 weeks of application submission if you have been accepted.
Slots will be limited at the time of launch, but will expand as we grow the program. If you are unable to apply at this time or would like to re-apply, keep an eye on this post for a notification when we re-open the GPP application as more slots become available.
GPP Payment Details
Eligible GPP participants will automatically be issued their monthly payment within 60 days of month’s end (e.g. If you are eligible for a GPP payment based on performance for the month of February, you will be issued payment by April 29th).
Here’s a breakdown of how the GPP payment distribution will work:
- Payments distributed within 60 days of each month’s end
- $200,000 per month will be divided between eligible program participants
- Each developer’s payment is based on their contribution to overall engagement
- Engagement will be based on a scale of 0% to 100% (Note: eligibility to receive a payment is dependent on engagement, we make no representation or warranty that a developer will be entitled to receive any payment distribution)
- GPP payouts are in addition to regular earnings
Funds will be deposited into the bank account associated with your DevEx activities. If you have not provided banking information for DevEx purposes, you will need to do so. Roblox will send you an invitation to Tipalti, Roblox’s 3rd party payment processor, to enter such information.
China Fast Track Overview
This program will provide a dedicated service for developers who demonstrate a commitment to building a long term business in China and want to do so as fast as possible.
Accepted developers who maintain their good standing with Roblox will be entitled to the following:
- Free localization services for simplified Chinese language
- Full China compliance screen to identify aspects of your experience that are non-compliant and guidance on how to address
- $15,000 stipend towards engineering costs associated with China preparation, to be paid when game has completed China compliance and localization requirements
- Guaranteed placement and featuring in the Roblox China app
China Fast Track will kick-off with 50 open slots for global developers who will be chosen through the application process. Applicants who can complete localization and compliance work before April 15th are preferred.
Again, the Roblox and Luobu team are thrilled to take this next step in our quest to make Roblox a truly global platform.
We look forward to receiving you applications and are here to fully support your efforts to enter the amazing opportunity that is China!
Roblox and Luobu Team
How many players is Roblox China expected to have?
- We do not yet have any forecasts as to the number of players. However, we feel confident in the app’s ability to establish a sizable presence given the efforts to customize Roblox for the China market and our partnership with Tencent to leverage its marketing and distribution capabilities.
How many developers would be accepted into the GPP program?
- GPP will be a continuously run program from February 2021 to January 2022, with applicants being accepted in multiple rounds throughout the year. Because of the operational overhead associated with GPP, Luobu and Roblox will only be able to accept a limited number of applicants for the first round of GPP (the exact number will be determined by Luobu and Roblox). The developer community will be notified each time GPP opens up to another round.
Do I have to create a separate version of my experience to publish in China and participate in these programs?
- No, our vision is that you can host your experiences on one place file for all locales and locations in the world. You will be able to adjust the content of the experiences as necessary (for example to comply with local requirements) at run-time through APIs that we will provide to you.
Will participating in these programs restrict what I can and cannot do to my experiences?
- All you need to do is to make sure your content meets the compliance requirements. Compliance requirements can be found in the application to these programs.
What happens if the rules for China compliance change?
- Participants in the China programs will need to be willing to quickly apply changes to the content when we receive updated policies.
How’s GPP payment calculated?
- Every month, GPP will compare the engagement of a developer’s experience with the overall engagement of the Roblox China app. A percentage contribution to overall engagement will be calculated (based on a scale of 0% to 100%) and this percentage will be the eligible developer’s share of the $200k / month payout pool. It is also our goal to be communicating to developers their percentage contribution. Note: eligibility to receive a payment is dependent on engagement, we make no representation or warranty that a developer will be entitled to receive any payment distribution.
In order to qualify for a payout, your aggregate earnings from GPP must exceed $15 USD and it must have been determined you have not made an effort to artificially boost your engagement metrics through non-live players. If your earnings from any month of participation does not exceed this amount, these earnings will be carried over to the next month to help you exceed the $15 USD threshold.