New Programs Available: “Roblox China” Licensed to Operate

Not IP as in an IP Address. We’re taking about IP as in Intellectual Property. China is known to steal IP as in original projects and works. They do nothing about this, and you’ll be missing out on players and money, and you can do nothing about it.

6 Likes

I’m really two sided in this topic. The only developers this effects are ones that create these popular games like adopt me, jailbreak etc…

…Plus only people 18+ can apply…

When will we the small developers get some sort of marketing boost?

9 Likes

I’m not the one confused here, he said

China is known for stealing IP adresses

1 Like

I’d love to join, but I am bot ready yet, my skills aren’t good enough. I’m too young too.

My only concern is how this will turn out, and what will happen to developers who add something to their game that breaks one of the laws of china. Obviously, they’ll be punished, but how far of a punishment?

I don’t really think It would be fine, but I do hope it all ends well for both relationships between Roblox and China. We have seen many things happen as far as I have heard of. I don’t know the exact details, but it’s kinda a big move.

7 Likes

Whoops, sorry. My point still stands regardless, though. What guarantee do we have that they won’t steal our hard work?

1 Like

GUYS, if you are considering entering this program, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE know what you are signing into!

Read the Roblox Terms of Service here, and notice the specific wording: https://en.help.roblox.com/hc/en-us/articles/115004647846

First, read section 6.B.(3), which details the normal Roblox policy relating to your ownership of your intellectual property: image

In short, normally us developers grant Roblox the right to modify, redistribute, etc our UGC (what we create), EXCEPT they cannot use this power to create new or derivative video games. This means that they can use your IP for advertising Roblox, selling toys based on your game, et cetera, but they cannot make games using your IP.

Now, let’s read Appendix A, the rules that apply for Roblox China:

NOTICE the omission of the exception about not being able to create derivative video games. THIS IS DELIBERATE! Nothing in legal text is by accident; very minor differences in wording MEAN A LOT legally! You can read through the TOS and verify all of this information yourself.

TL;DR: KNOW what you are signing!

120 Likes

Thank you for gathering this information, it really clears up alot of the frustration posted here.

5 Likes

That’s why it’s optional? Like the other 7 people on this thread have stated nothing will change so long as you don’t apply to this, i’d share your frustration naturally if this was forced though

3 Likes

Thank you for posting this, I am not personally signing up for the program, however, I think this is a great eye opener for what many may not be prepared for.

Thanks for posting!!!

3 Likes

This is china we are dealing with. We would need fifty 0.05 stud jumps to even challenge them!

7 Likes

I guess it’s time to take on an obby, huh?

4 Likes

So this essentially means absolutely no forms of violence right?

14 Likes

In the list of rules we have to follow it says that our game cannot make API calls to offshore services that are prohibited or blocked in China.

Does that include PlayFab analytics? Can we not run analytics on Chinese users? Could we get some kind of list of banned services we can’t use that might pertain to Roblox developers

7 Likes

This seems intentionally vauge too. What does “unarmed” even mean?

3 Likes

This probably refers to fist fighting which is rather foolish if you ask me.

4 Likes

In that case, what would be considered a “prop”? A dodgeball? A gun? Perhaps even a sword, or something in the game environment?

3 Likes

All of the above, basically referring to no acts of violence in games.

3 Likes

I don’t think it’s got anything to do with maturity, but more to do with legality, as an 18 year old, in most countries, you are considered an adult

9 Likes

Doesn’t that apply to a large amount of games on the platform though?

Also is “dying” in a game considered violence?

3 Likes

Privacy concerns aside, it would be a crime against morality to partner up with the CCP the way Roblox is doing. Their track record on human rights is terrible.

I’m confident there are lots of people here on the Devforum who come from a Chinese background or are simply aware of China’s government and what they do, and place greater importance on what’s right than on getting money.

Never doing this, ever. It would be like punching my grandparents.

42 Likes