New Programs Available: “Roblox China” Licensed to Operate

You get your place verified by going through the application process linked in this topic. The rules are in the application as well.

2 Likes

Starts with M and rhymes with funny…

7 Likes

Not to mention the fact that ROBLOX itself already breaks China UGC rules - resetting your character causes your limbs to fall off, which is technically a policy violation.

5 Likes

ROBLOX China SHOULD ban all UGC, if it stays consistent with other platforms.

My big example is steam. All UGC on steam is completely BANNED. Any chat features are completely BANNED. Reviews, comments, mods, everything. It’s a game store and nothing else.

1 Like

In roblox china, you turn into a ragdoll and fade away.

1 Like

Wow this is amazing, roblox i love the features you’re adding.

1 Like

Does this mean that China is going to have a separate page on Roblox? Or is it just going to be all together?

1 Like

separate websites do you need a link?

2 Likes

Is there a mandarin version of the terms of service we’d have to oblige by? Would like to see if it’s more concrete

1 Like

It’s all about the money, I guess!

2 Likes

This will have also to depend to the parents who wants the best for their child, its also much interesting to see the future of Roblox.

1 Like

I know this is a bit of a necro, but with new laws, I guess it is warranted.

With China’s new regulations restricting online game access for all people under 18 to 3 hours a week (1 hour on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday), is there really a point to this program anymore?

I can’t really see a Roblox game developing a Chinese audience when about 3/4 of the players are practically blocked and the super-strict guidelines appeal to the younger audience… which is blocked.

5 Likes

Not only is their new policy exercising an absolutely absurd amount of control over their citizens, but it must also be a huge kick in the teeth for Roblox’s plans - which in my opinion, Roblox deserved.

I’ve got to be blunt here: shilling for a communist dictatorship and selling out to them is never a good look for your company, nor does it ever end well.

Developers from across Roblox raised concerns about this platform when this announcement was made, replies to which were placed on a timer due to the sheer volume of replies from irritated and concerned developers that Roblox knew it would generate.

The fact that this has all but blown up in Corporate’s face proves that their strategy was the wrong one to take, and I can imagine that heads may be rolling behind the scenes as we speak. Sad, but predictable and definitely deserved.

4 Likes

In what upside-down world is China’s government predictable?

And others profited millions of dollars while China’s online platforms remained untouched.

Because they where giving opportunity to their developers?

People’s view on Roblox’s decisions are a lot more gear towards their player perspective rather than a developer’s. I find it very sad to see this on the developer’s forum.

I consider it fairly predictable to the degree that only a dictatorship and/or control state can be - they assert more, and more, and more control over you over time.

The few people that have been involved may have indeed profited from the programme, but likely don’t care about the ethical concerns and concerns over the stealing of intellectual property by, say Tencent, who are involved.

I don’t think Roblox themselves saw this as a good opportunity for the large majority of developers, especially considering the large payout as per the original announcement. In order for your experience to quality for the market, it must be subject to all of the local CCP restrictions, which can leave experiences a carcass of what anyone else, anywhere else on the planet would experience.

I really fail to see the point, or problem that you describe. As developers, it is important to take into account what we want, what players want, and what is simply right and wrong. I’d be willing to say that most developers would consider it wrong to do business with a company (Tencent) controlled through backdoor Chinese Communist Party ownership.

4 Likes

Glad I never wasted any of my time translating/making some game to abide by some communist laws. 3 Hours a week is absurd and is probably going to kill off Roblox’s plans in china unless they pivot to over 18s but even then the government might just decide to ban video games for everyone.

7 Likes

I’ll be honest, Roblox China… is kinda dead in the water at this point.

Roblox as it stands was always directed towards younger/teenage audiences, and with the CCP’s new rules, their current business strategy in China is done for.

With China’s guidelines against what we witness all the time in games like Phantom Forces or Project: Lazarus, and not to mention their crackdown on games for the younger generation (3 hour limit), Roblox may as well just divert funding to other parts of the company and shut down their venture in China.

5 Likes

Any opportunity given to devs is now just wasted time. With little revenue due to existing CCP regulations on game spending, coupled with this, it’s done for.

image (4)

Also I’d like to say that, with the time only available between 20:00-21:00 to play games, most could be having dinner with family (family is a key element in Chinese culture, I know this myself after having been to restaurants in HK at 8pm).

Not to mention the bandwidth for the Roblox servers in that hour…

4 Likes

To all the people hating the Roblox China rules, you no longer need to hate them, thanks to the new TOS.

4 Likes

Recently, China passed new data laws so that Luobu must store all data in China. They already complied with this, but let’s see how long it’ll be before they do the logical thing and exit.