New property for models (Active) Check Box

I think it would be a neat idea to have a new property for models that are inside workspace. That you can enable or disable them. If disabled they although inside the workspace are never rendered, and any scripts are not ran. This could be for testing purposes, or really whatever reason you can think of. Like just now I wanted to test without a certain model in the game, I then had to drag it into server storage to hide it (although I still want it in the game) takes extra time vs having an enable button would be super easy to toggle on/off

Not super important, just figure it would be a little quality of life feature. Thanks.

9 Likes

This is what Archivable is for. Instances that are not archivable:

• Cannot be cloned
  • Will not be included in the binary/XML when published or saved
  • Will not appear during a Studio test session

The above also applies to the instanceā€™s descendants so Scripts do not execute. Just be careful about the last two behaviours - if you forget to reenable Archivable it will not be saved and you may lose the asset from the DataModel during your next Studio session.

2 Likes

Wow they should really rename that, because Iā€™ve never known what ā€œArchivableā€ was and Iā€™ve been on ROBLOX since 2008

I donā€™t think Archivable solves this use case. When using Archivable, thereā€™s a big noobtrap / footgun where if you quit or save your session while something is Archivable, you risk losing those objects when you reopen Studio. Itā€™s not the best solution Roblox could provide for the problem.

Btw @matt1020304050 make sure your feature requests describe problems rather than proposed solutions (see ā€œFocus on problemsā€ under How to post a Feature Request). Your problem is not that you need an active check box, itā€™s that you temporarily want stuff to not render in the game, so maybe retitle your topic to be more about the problem.

2 Likes

Good to know, but I donā€™t really understand what you mean by describe problems instead of solutions? I described what the new feature would be. A toggle to turn off rendering of a model in play mode. Seems pretty straightforward to me :confused:

The toggle is one way to solve the issue of not wanting to render specific hierarchies in the data model. There may be other possible solutions that are better. If you make it generic (about the problem), other people with different proposed solutions can chime into the thread too, rather than needing to make their own topic.

TLDR: ā€œGive me a sodaā€ is a specific proposed solution of ā€œSolve the fact Iā€™m thirstyā€.

This is feature requests section no? Wouldnā€™t it be better to go to like ā€˜Development discussionā€™

I didnā€™t come here to open up a debate of the best possible way to go about this :stuck_out_tongue:
I just wanted to suggest a change. That being said, people are welcome to comment. And we have the ā€˜Solutionā€™ button as well.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.