New Require Introspection Feature

I can never recall using a third party module for any serious code base.

I still request a way to block Third-Party module requires.

8 Likes

In that case the message will only print in a live server.

3 Likes

Can this not appear if we give a plugin access to inject scripts?? Incredibly frustrating having this spam my output when play testing

4 Likes

I am aware of how IsStudio works, and I’m aware of the code being ran only in live servers in such a case too. What I’m not aware of is if we are going to be given tools that would let us locate the requires running only when IsStudio is false, and thus showing up in the live server console - right now, the most information we would be able to get is the location of the script. Unfortunately, that’s not enough, as scripts like this are often located in places like “workspace.Model.Model.Part.Script”. Finding the require ID using the find & replace tool is pointless too, as backdoor authors resort to hacky ways such as using hexadecimals, or even unicode char codes put in string.reverse(). That’s what I said in the second sentence of my post that you’ve (partially) quoted.

2 Likes

How will this kill all script builders?

2 Likes

Great feature! This actually helped me find a backdoor I didn’t even know was in one of my games that the map developer had accidentally slipped in.

1 Like

If you have require access you can just log all input anyway?

1 Like

Is there any way to disable this feature?
Some of the plugins I have rely on require and it’s spamming my output on every play test.

3 Likes

This is great. It will help protect against backdoors in the future

This is a great feature for those who might have accidentally stumbled across a backdoor but could be able to disable this? It floods my output in one of my games I am working on and gets pretty annoying.

1 Like

You’re don’t make any sense. You claim all of the scripts would be ‘open source’, but back up the point no one will be able to see it…?

2 Likes

So your script builder is sandboxing require?

2 Likes

Yup I do know that, when you execute a script in a script builder it will require and send a require print like if it was a normal script and you could just use LogService and hook that and some noob can just straight up steal your require in 2 seconds.

1 Like

I don’t think you understand why she said that.

By no means is Automationeer suggesting that your sole anti-exploit should be client-sided or should be dependent on obscurity. Developers on this forum have repeated those ad nauseam that a lot of people know by now not to rely on it.

Here’s the thing though: not all exploiters spend a dedicated amount of time exploiting your experience, handcrafting workarounds or anything of the sort. Like novice scripters, casual exploiters aren’t thinking that deeply about what they’re doing and just following whatever they see.

You can stop an ample number of exploiters on their side with a few client-side checks or honeypots that entice them to invoke something and instead get hit with a countermeasure of some sort, be it a disconnection from the server or a ban. By all means you should be trying to stop exploiting as much as possible from the server, but it’s ideal to get that extra bit of security by also doing a few things on the client. It won’t stop everyone but it will stop someone. Mitigating exploiting is as valid a step to countering exploiters as patching, if patching the exploit in question is possible for your experience.

You have the right thought that developers should stop being obsessed with security through obscurity but that has little to nothing to do with what Automationeer said and you’re confusing both obscurity and client-side anti-exploit’s usefulness in general.

Also please, please stop it with this “if your game was secure by design you’d have no problems” nonsense. Provide actual tips here instead of telling people that their experience isn’t secure by design and that’s why they’re having problems with exploiters. A lot of us have either pretty simple or deeply intricate anti-exploits and we’re still facing problems. Tackling anti-exploits should be a collaborative effort within the developer community and saying this doesn’t help anyone.

5 Likes

Will there in future be the return of private modules? I understand they were used to exploit games and cause mayhem as well as better protect games.

Is it not possible for it to be private within your own game?

4 Likes

If the game was created under your account/group and the module as well, you can require it. Otherwise, it has to be open source or the user has to own the module to require it.

1 Like

This is a step forward in the right direction, but I feel like as others have stated in this thread, we need a dedicated way to look up required modules as the output can get cluttered easily.

On a semi-unrelated note to this change, I also think the following changes would be good for the remote part of require():

• Being able to have a game setting where assets have to be whitelisted before you can require them, otherwise they will not run.
  • Please let us require modules from groups that we have toolbox access to. A lot of my work is based around private modules being required and due to the change made to Modules in 2019, I had to either purchase the modules and have them in my inventory, or use InsertService to load the module, and then require it. Both of these methods are annoying and are incredibly dumb workarounds.
5 Likes

This is very annoying when testing if I have multiple requires to external modules. Will there be a feature to turn it off. I’m almost never using free models and when I am it’s well known ones like HD admin commands and that isn’t a virus. I also have plugins such as In-Command that I had to disable because it required an external module and the output was very destracting

7 Likes

Of course, I knew it as well. Thats enough internet for me lmao.

2 Likes

No, because then it would say - <some script> instead of - Studio.

2 Likes