New Sponsored Items and Updated Ad Audiences

bro… but they got rid of under 13 lmao

3 Likes

So it’s been multiple days since this update was revealed & Roblox has yet to comment further to the mass amounts of criticism. Not a good look…

3 Likes

Roblox? Responding to backlash? :rofl: :rofl: Nah, I’d bet they will just keep their trap shut till this all blows over. Same thing happened with the audio and previous sponsor updates. They couldn’t give less of a crap about accommodating for their developers.

8 Likes

This is a really bad idea. Much games such as cafe games, hotel and other group games. New games that is suitable for all ages may not have the chance to see it. Maybe put an all ages option for everyone to see it. It would be better and we would get more impressions on it. Since it is such a bad idea about half a billion people are children who play Roblox. If creators such as myself and other creators which are small.

1 Like

yikes

whatever changes they had made to ads the past couple months had started to tank stats but now it is absolutely not even worth running them anymore unless you have a considerable amount of money to throw away

8 Likes

At this point I wouldn’t think about them commenting on this in the first place. This has to be a legal change so I doubt one will be made within the next 2 years…

Fix the discoverability algorithm.

6 Likes

It’s already incredibly difficult to be discovered in this platform and this change has made it even harder. This is disappointing.

6 Likes

People keep saying its a “legal change”, yet there hasn’t been any actual evidence (that i’ve seen) that supports that. Just people making assumptions that it has to do with coppa… Which to my understanding, Roblox complies with since it’s not targeted ads towards kids.

I feel like if it was legal changes, Roblox would just say so. They’ve done that in the past. For instance, Roblox mentions multiple times in right-of-erasure’s that it’s a legal requirement.

There would be no reason to hide legal reasonings unless it’s somehow a law suit that’s settled out of court… Which I doubt since I dont see anything on PacerMonitor to indicate a lawsuit retaining to advertising.

The legal definition of Advertising’ is " Advertising is the act or practice of attracting public notice and attention". Wouldn’t the entire games page fall under that definition?

1 Like

I thought so too until I was reminded that Roblox is being currently sued by Truth In Advertising.

1 Like

That’s a complaint, not an actual lawsuit no?
Even then, that’s more talking about how brand-worlds are ‘stealth’ ads that are not easily identifiable as advertisements.

After skimming through, it doesn’t appear that they mention user-ads nor user-sponsors.

And the complaint was declined? If im reading this right it appears the most recent update was that nothing is happening from their complaint.

1 Like

Isn’t it hypocritical that roblox can have ads sponsoring big brands, but users can’t even advertise their game to everyone?

13 Likes

While I understand why this change is happening, I can also tell this change is destroying the current sponsored/ads value. Developers would less likely to use the feature since they are paying the same amount to receive fewer results. This change would likely lead to a higher DevEx rate, leading to a decrease in ROBLOX profit.

When you remove or downgrade something, you should upgrade or increase what can be added, such as put Sponsored Games back into all categories or putting sponsored on top (paying sponsored games should get priority) to keep the balance in these controversial changes.

1 Like

This is all a bunch of hogwash in my opinion.

This platform was meant ALSO for solo developers and littler teams. The hogwash of halving the ad pool share by more than half is ridiculous. This means double the funding will be needed to compete! On top of shirts needing robux to begin selling, and now this.

This is truly all a bunch of danged hogwash.

8 Likes

Let’s just make sure it never blows over then :upside_down_face:.

I’ll make sure to complain about this on a consistent & regular basis! :smiley:

I don’t understand why Roblox can’t at least allow games that have U13 age recommendations to advertise to U13… I am all for not advertising games and products intended for older users to kids, but advertising to kids in itself is not unheard of. Most other platforms do it, TV channels, commercials. As long as the advertised product or game is actually intended for children, I don’t see a problem.

Could adopt a similar system to Youtube, where you have to specify whether the game is for for U13 (children), or not.

12 Likes

I like the idea of sponsoring UGC items, but I really don’t like the fact that users under the age of 13 can’t see Sponsored Experiences, Sponsored Items, or User Ads anymore. It’s already difficult for developers to get their game discovered. Most of Roblox’s playerbase are users under the age of 13. Something else to note is that many users over the age of 13 use adblock. This is going to hurt so many developers, especially smaller developers.

5 Likes

Genuinely going to make advertising completely non viable

1 Like

True. ROBLOX not communication with their Developers, part of the group of people that make them money is not something they should be proud of, even when considering parents disapproval of sponsored ads. Instead of doing this, ROBLOX should:
A. Not collect data on the types of game users join. If ROBLOX turns into one of those huge data collecting organizations like Facebook, bad things will ensue.
B. I saw this suggestion and thought it reasonable: Give parents the choice for accounts <13.
C. Not rely on big developers and big developer groups to keep supplying ROBLOX with games. Instead, it should give the tools for small developers to share their games with their audience of choice instead of expecting them to try and advertise in group walls or get a YouTuber to join. After all, games never become known (besides being from big groups) if someone doesn’t advertise them to a certain audience in one way or another. Whether it be by using a YouTuber that is popular with 6 to 9
year-olds, or going on groups popular with younger players, targeted advertising always happens. It is how games get played in the first place. Let’s not let games like Pet Sim X to be the only thing younger players play.

I also recognized sypagent388 from Pinewood Builders. The infamous spyagent.

1 Like

I’m a bit confused here. Does this mean I cannot run my ads on both of these age groups? I tried running ads on both of these age groups but it seems like I have to choose only one in order for my ad to run.

This is what it says.

Please tell me this is a bug…

2 Likes

I can tell you why, its because those ratings aren’t reliable. So many games lie on the questionnaire to get the ‘any age’ rating. These ratings cannot be relied on in the current state of the rating system. (as long as the developer gets to define the age limit by lying)