New StarterPlayer Property - EnableDynamicHeads

Please… don’t make it opt-out by default, is there really anything else that needs to be said?

4 Likes

I personally think this should be opt in forever, with the default always being disabled, never set to enabled, as (I’m assuming) it breaks any games that rely on switching character faces since it likely does not use decals. This is not a feature like adaptive physics where games can somewhat still function even after the default is changed, this will likely cause games to break with no way to play them unless the developer updates the game.

21 Likes

Great, now I have to go through all of my games and turn this junk off. Please make it opt in.

27 Likes

Why is something that’s known to be memory intensive pushed out as enabled by default? I’d say this is very neglectful to do.

5 Likes

Although I will have this feature enabled for my games, it is very understandable that other developers might not want the extra memory usage, increased CPU and GPU usage, or dynamic heads simply don’t make sense for their game. For better backward compatibility, it would make more sense if this feature was disabled by default for already existing experiences while new experiences have it enabled by default.

6 Likes

Nothing stops dynamic heads from working with R6 outside of Roblox’s decision. I currently use dynamic heads on R6 rigs in my own game.

7 Likes

I disagree with the fact that this property is enabled by default.

Is it possible for it to be disabled by default?

5 Likes

That’s pretty cool. This will make the Roblox avatars (at least, those of the ones who will choose to use dynamic heads) feel more alive.

3 Likes

I don’t understand why R6 isn’t able to have facial animation.

4 Likes

This. I don’t really think Roblox understands the actual breadth this feature will actually be used.

3 Likes

It’s automatically turned on? Hopefully theres a way to opt out of it.

2 Likes

You can, and everybody wants it to be opt-in. I think it looks awfu;.

2 Likes

Maybe because R6 is too simple and can’t be implemented, or maybe it’s a way to keep forcing R15/Rthro

2 Likes

Im glad this is togged on by default as someone who both creates and plays roblox experinces. I already get very annoyed/sad when i lose access to my layered clothing when a experience is r6 and im sure it’ll be the same when i can’t use my dynamic head in a experience.

4 Likes

Almost every avatar update in the past has consistently been opt-out rather than opt-in. Roblox wants to promote avatar content being consistent in experiences by default; if you think about the user experience, a user should expect the avatar that they spent their time and robox building on the website to work in any experience they join. This feature is no different from layered clothing, rthro, custom emotes/animations, UGC hats, etc—it’s just another expansion to the avatar that is designed to work out of the gate in every Roblox experience.

If it doesn’t work in your experience, simply ot out of it.

13 Likes

Yeah, I’m afraid this isn’t “simply”, and not what I’m concerned about.

I don’t necessarily mind if the end goal of an avatar update is that it’s available by default to all experiences. Avatars and customisation are a pivotal part of the Roblox experience and there are more experiences that allow you to bring your own avatars than not so I get why this is the case. What I do not agree with is that there’s no rollout period here where the Default is Disabled.

This update launching as Enabled is a huge problem for me. It doesn’t allow me to gauge appropriately whether or not this update is right for and compatible with the avatars and customisation I do allow or want to allow for my experiences. It is also pointed out that this update has a non-negligible memory cost, so when I’m concerned about memory use especially on phones or large experiences I can’t test the impact first before deciding whether or not to allow it.

Instead of being afforded the luxury of time, I now have to spend a good amount of time going into experiences I develop for that use R15 and disable them which is time consuming and wasteful, and then I can decide which ones to gauge testing for after that. So obviously I’m unhappy that I now have to find time to opt-out of this feature across too many experiences than comfortable.

The problem isn’t that it’s an opt-out feature. The problem is that it is starting as one. Even layered clothing started as a rollout period so weak example. Different avatar features have different technical requirements, other examples aren’t relevant here.

12 Likes

Probably because facial animation only works on MeshPart heads, which is an R15-only thing

2 Likes

I’m still confused how will it be usable when this is supposed to be opt-in first and not finished but i think replacing Heads with Dynamic would require some extra script if this is set to be enabled.

I’m not against this update either

1 Like

It’s a fair assessment that this shouldn’t be enabled by default yet. Performance concerns are valid and I think it’d make more sense to have a rollout period.

I just really don’t think this update is as breaking as people think it is.

Worst case scenario: Players can dynamically rotate their neck transform with the view of their head in the web camera. Minimum priority animations that target the FaceControls and Neck of the LocalPlayer’s Humanoid might apply transforms WHEN there is a FaceControls instance in the player’s head.

If there are cases where you think this might break something, you should definitely voice them here.

11 Likes

I can understand not wanting your game to use this feature, but the default setting of enabled is not a big deal when all you do is “disable” it, save your game and publish the update. The social issue of is it fair or not aside, is this really putting a big burden on your game development to turn off one setting and save? It seems like a whole lot of complaining for no reason other than convenience to me. I welcome new features, especially when I can turn them on and off to test and gauge if it is useful or not. It’s about as useful to complain about this as to complain about the feature that let’s you resize unions non-uniformly. :melting_face:

9 Likes