New StarterPlayer Property - EnableDynamicHeads

I Think R15 Only

R6 Players nope

Why can only R15 bodies use facial animations?

2 Likes

r6 animations are way too cartoony for realistic faces, r15 fits way better

1 Like

This is about technical capability, not personal preference.

4 Likes

yea ik, but I guess they just don’t want weird looking avatars running around in r6 games lol

hold on are you talking about the 2D faces? because those would actually be pretty cool on r6

3 Likes

So what you’re telling me is that this feature cannot be disabled in a month or two when the 2 initial phases are over? Yeah, that’s some cool technology and looks interesting, but I have to say animated facial features are a new roblox feature that I actually have little care for.

Is there any word on if the security context requirements for editing face controls will be changed?
It severely limits options for only animations to be able to edit them.

1 Like

Dynamic heads rely on meshpart heads and accessories to work, which doesn’t work on R6 characters. As for why R6 doesn’t get meshparts… I have no idea, but if I had to guess it’s just because R6 is considered legacy and doesn’t get all the fancy updates R15 does.

2 Likes
  1. There has been multiple previous announcements.
  2. It’s not a critical change.
  3. Not too hard to click a toggle

R6 characters can not equip facial animations in the first place so no

This update will break any script that assumes a character’s head has a face.

It broke my custom camera script which used Head.face to set transparency.

This was easily fixed by using FindFirstChild but I would think any older games without ongoing scripting support could have scripts broken by this for players with such heads.

3 Likes

I wonder this too; Limiting facial posing to just animations really limits what it can be used for, like there’s no ability to procedurally make eyes blink or look around.

I don’t know why they would prevent animating the face values directly like this. I hope it isn’t due to an incorrect assumption about exploiters; They can edit the face, but it doesn’t replicate to other players. (Don’t ask how I know this. :wink:)

Are they going add monster face dynamic head as well?
But I don’t know if they going add more dynamic heads but head shape should be original like old head?

1 Like

With a recent Nexus VR Character Model test, I’ve found a legitimate reason why developer should be allowed to directly edit the FaceControls properties; When using @TheNexusAvenger’s Nexus VR Character Model, no animations can be played for any VR players, which usually cause the player to face towards the -Z axis every time one tries to activate.

This unfortunately also affects facial animations! Since Roblox (for some probably dumb reason) restricted what could set the values to animations only, Any VR players using one will always have the emotionless :expressionless: look to them.

This is bad, Roblox! Please consider letting scripts directly change FaceControls property values, because I don’t see what’s so dangerous or insecure about doing that; It only greatly limits what developers can do with the new heads, y’know. If I could modify the values through scripts, facial expression edits would be possible in VR.

I’m only a Member, not a Regular, so I wouldn’t be able to make this into a feature request; If anyone else feels the same way about this and can make topics in #feature-requests, it would be nice.

There’s a new dynamic head named Stevie Standard that looks similar to Dylan Default but has a more classic “beveled cylinder” shape to it. The only problem with it is that it’s strangely shifted upward a bit compared to other heads, so its mouth and eyes are above Dylan Default’s.

Stevie Standard is actually seemingly the exact same as it was in the early Dynamic Heads RBXL testing file, where it was called “Blocky”. It had the same vertical offset problem that makes it incompatible with any animation involving those parts, such as using a straw, for example.

2 Likes

But there might be a reason they wont.

Roblox is going to add face tracking and meta is also making face tracking, since meta wont think lf making the face tracking better than the meta pro, it will be a huge problem for roblox.
Roblox started off using the webcam for beta testing but its for animation, and roblox might make the faces animatable and not only by a boolvalue or something.
When meta makes the face tracking, roblox will begin making the face avalible for roblox vr gameplay.

This also goes to full body tracking. If roblox would want full body tracking for roblox games, meta would have to make the full body, especially for index.
The valve index in steam games comes with a finger tracking by its buttons on the controllers (I dont have an index so i might be wrong here).

So even if the faces dont work for vr. Its being worked on.

Maybe robllx might do something like rec room for the faces if the face tracking in the vr dosnt work out.

(I hope this makes sense)

1 Like

Ah, yeah; I forgot about the “camera” option that some people found in their Roblox settings, that would probably be used for animating faces based on the player’s face…

I guess this is the only good reason why procedurally animating the face isn’t allowed, as it would conflict with the core scripts trying to update the controls to match the player’s tracked face.

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.