New StepPhysics Plugin API

This would be absolutely game changing.
Is there any possible sliver of hope this may be worked on for use in live games?

8 Likes

For some reason, if you have only one unanchored part, using the table won’t work. If you have more than one, it acts normal.

3 Likes

Now we need a plugin to slow down or reverse the simulation!

Great job!

4 Likes

the blatant advertising here is wild
other than that, great new plugin API. physics simulation without running a session is quite interesting

5 Likes

I am not advertising my plugin here. I just wanted to let the staff know that this update will have a positive impact on my plugin. They encourage this behavior. But I appreciate your concern! :slight_smile:

7 Likes

YES! PHYSICS BAKING! CUTSCENES!
Now runtime access to the physics API.

6 Likes

This update is a massive W! I was looking forward to it! Amazing work!

but… PLS enable it for normal scripts too :pray:
Do you guys have any plans for that?

9 Likes

Please let us use this in live games. :pray:

Desperately need the ability to create slow-motion effects, I honestly don’t want to re-invent an entire physics engine from scratch just to do that on the client.

But I currently have to just to implement things like time-stop or dramatic effects (such as slowing down time before a group of enemies is exploded by a rocket for instance or boss crashing into the arena through a wall).

12 Likes

Now all we need is the ability to use this in LocalScripts

8 Likes

This post really got me excited until I read that it’s in Studio only and is meant to be used for debugging purposes. If this was a thing I could use in my games themselves, it would solve so many issues I’ve had with physics simulations for years that make so many of my ideas completely obsolete.

5 Likes

We need this in live experiences! I have many plans to do server-authoritative stuff, and many cool game mechanics that I need this for.

5 Likes

This is a great first step towards improving the physics engines capability, much appreciated! However as others have said being able to use this in live servers would be beyond useful.

A few months ago with the announcement of the new Humanoid movement controllers you guys said you were working on generalised server authority, can we expect to see this anytime soon? An ETA would be greatly appreciated.

5 Likes

I second everyone else that this would be great to have in live games. There’s a feature request for this by @MrChickenRocket with 165 likes. [Anti-Exploit / Security / Rollback] - Allow us to manually step the physics simulation

Another use case for the Studio API is automated testing.

4 Likes

Really can u tell for what u can use this?

2 Likes

really what game changing? People just writing those comments for hearts. ‘omg game changer’ , 'omg so good"

2 Likes

WOAH YEAH!

Now we can do accelerated training for self learning AIs’ that uses reinforcement learning libraries like DataPredict!

Thanks Roblox Team!

3 Likes

It would’ve been incredibly handy if these new physics functions were introduced into native experiences! I would then have the possibility to completely pause the simulation without having to anchor every single part, and I would be able to speed the simulation up which I’ve been trying to do to no avail for years at this point…

3 Likes

Essentially, the current network model for character movement is entirely client authoritative, allowing exploiters to easily teleport and fly around just by modifying where their character is.

Of course, this can be very game breaking, and the only real fix is to manually move character authority to the server. However, this makes the responsiveness of movement very sluggish to the user, especially for people with constant lag spikes, so there needs to be some movement extrapolation and rollback to make it feel smooth.

The extrapolation and rollback parts are what we’re missing. We already have spatial queries and unreliable remotes, but we have no way of manually stepping the humanoid physics for validation. That’s why having this API in live games would be game changing.

3 Likes

Please

Dear god please

(Per instance too)

3 Likes

OK, this is actually enormous. I wonder how much of a performance impact would this have though.

2 Likes