New StepPhysics Plugin API

This is a great first step towards improving the physics engines capability, much appreciated! However as others have said being able to use this in live servers would be beyond useful.

A few months ago with the announcement of the new Humanoid movement controllers you guys said you were working on generalised server authority, can we expect to see this anytime soon? An ETA would be greatly appreciated.

3 Likes

I second everyone else that this would be great to have in live games. There’s a feature request for this by @MrChickenRocket with 165 likes. [Anti-Exploit / Security / Rollback] - Allow us to manually step the physics simulation

Another use case for the Studio API is automated testing.

2 Likes

Really can u tell for what u can use this?

really what game changing? People just writing those comments for hearts. ‘omg game changer’ , 'omg so good"

WOAH YEAH!

Now we can do accelerated training for self learning AIs’ that uses reinforcement learning libraries like DataPredict!

Thanks Roblox Team!

1 Like

It would’ve been incredibly handy if these new physics functions were introduced into native experiences! I would then have the possibility to completely pause the simulation without having to anchor every single part, and I would be able to speed the simulation up which I’ve been trying to do to no avail for years at this point…

1 Like

Essentially, the current network model for character movement is entirely client authoritative, allowing exploiters to easily teleport and fly around just by modifying where their character is.

Of course, this can be very game breaking, and the only real fix is to manually move character authority to the server. However, this makes the responsiveness of movement very sluggish to the user, especially for people with constant lag spikes, so there needs to be some movement extrapolation and rollback to make it feel smooth.

The extrapolation and rollback parts are what we’re missing. We already have spatial queries and unreliable remotes, but we have no way of manually stepping the humanoid physics for validation. That’s why having this API in live games would be game changing.

1 Like

Please

Dear god please

(Per instance too)

1 Like

OK, this is actually enormous. I wonder how much of a performance impact would this have though.