New Studio Beta: Attributes!

This is a known issue with our engine, not attributes specifically. We are working on a resolution.

5 Likes

You don’t have to use Attributes if you don’t want to. ValueBases aren’t going anywhere, so you can continue using them the same way you always have. It seems like most people here are very excited for Attributes, so I think suddenly limiting them to only Configuration objects is pointless.

About not being able to see them in the Explorer, I think it would be super useful for objects with Attributes to have a small blue or green bar next to them in the Explorer (like in the output, where a green/blue bar represents whether it came from the client or server).

3 Likes

Hey, I was wondering if this is active right now and my players will be able to use scripts that use attributes, or I need to wait to use these for everyone to be able to use them in game?

1 Like

It is not active yet. Hopefully soon though!

1 Like

Okay, I’ll wait on using attributes then.

As of right now, Attributes are open to beta members only. You can always enroll in the beta program and then get added to the program in their next wave of enrollment so that you and/or your dev team can get these features!

They only open to beta members? Didn’t even know that. Guess things just kind of silently pop up when your in the program. Love it :slight_smile:

1 Like

The beta program is separate to beta features. You can access beta features by enabling them in Studio without being a member of the beta program. There’s a guide in the original post explaining how you can enable this feature :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Do you know if theres a way to get into the beta program?

To enable beta, it was said in this post:

1 Like

There were a lot of questions from many of you so I have put together an FAQ section in the original post to answer as many of them as possible.

Check it out here!

If I missed anything then I will do my best to reply to you directly. We’re super excited to see how you’re using this.

8 Likes

If you want to enable the attributes beta you can find instructions in the original post. To join the beta program check out the following thread: Enroll in the Roblox Beta Program

4 Likes

I have everything enabled by default. I enjoy being in all the beta stuff, Still working on trying to get into the private beta thing though. But I already have this feature enabled as well everything else and my lovely 700 max players I got from the beta program.

Edit: Will users in the beta program be able to use this in-game before its release for all users? (Question for WallsAreForClimbing)

Suggestion
While this is a very useful feature, it would be great if we can access them like you would a property.

Something similar to:

-- Changing an Attribute's value:
instance.MyAttribute = newValue

It would be much more easier to use, (although I am aware that attributes might be cross-referenced with properties), and will look slightly more readable.

Another alternative would be to have:

-- Changing an Attribute's value:
instance.Attributes.MyAttribute = newValue

Or something similar, as my programming style makes it harder for me to implement this in my games.

3 Likes

You will only be able to use this in published games after the full release. The Beta is for use in Studio only, so we can improve the feature and address any bugs/issues.

4 Likes

Noice, this is what i was waiting for!

This is bloody mental! Goodbye intvalues you will not be missed!

I was just thinking about this feature and I saw the update this is a great update.

I’ve thought about using this for player data replication as well but I doubt it’ll be feasible until they add table support and a couple other things.

I’d check out ReplicaService by loleris in the meantime. Super powerful and easy to use and set up, and does exactly what you describe.

I use it for all my data replication these days

5 Likes

Yes! Finally, I’ve been waiting for so long for this!