New Studio Feature - CollisionFidelity.PreciseConvexDecomposition (Enabled Globally)

This… this is amazing…
This opens up so many new things that weren’t exactly possible before due to collision issues…

This could be a game changer for sure in the mesh making community of ROBLOX.

Can’t wait to see the finished product of this and how accurate this can actually get.

3 Likes

Yes now we can have giant unions without invisible walls

1 Like

Oh yes, this is an amazing feature. I can now imagine what builders will do with this. Epic addition. :+1:

1 Like

I thought that was intended behaviour, I guess I was wrong!

2 Likes

can’t wait to see it out of beta :slight_smile:

3 Likes

thats really nice, cant wait to see what cool stuff ill be able to do!

1 Like

What does the decomposition geometry look like? The shadows might be like that because it’s hollow.

2 Likes

That sounds like what it should do assuming you have a tool beaming down casts and placing the sticks in Studio. It would be on your part to calculate where more should go. But I would just unanchor the twigs with low friction and let them slide into place as desired.

1 Like

Hey! How did you change the amount of data added to the mesh? Thanks for answer!

2 Likes

I think Studio calculates the hitboxes and everything only when you change the fidelity. When the beta feature is disabled, the hitboxes are already calculated, so it doesn’t crash. But without the feature enabled, trying to calculate the hitboxes using the new beta feature crashes Studio.

2 Likes

That would be a cool feature, but all I did was compare a save with CollisionFidelity.Box (as the control), a save with CollisionFidelity.Default, and a save with CollisionFidelity.PreciseConvexDecomposition.

3 Likes

Thanks for the reply!

Didn’t get it 100 percent, but i’ll request that feature!

1 Like

Yeah, this happens to me so often, that’s why I hate unions. If they can fix the issue where the union just randomly disappears, I’ll use them more often.

I switched to CSG V1 in studio settings, it has fixed things with corrupt unions. But with version 1 there are limitations on unions so you have to watch out for that

I’m having some issues converting a roadway I’d imported a little while ago to PreciveConvexDecomposition. Converting most of the pieces freezes Studio entirely, but the smaller ones that do convert end up with large chunks missing out of them.

Here’s the repro:
RoadTest.rbxl (320.0 KB)

2 Likes

Although most of the collisions are usually calculated, there are some exeptions, and often pretty big: for example one huge wedge shapef thing that goes over half of the map (the 3D model was a map).

So a great feature would be ti convert those collisions to objects in the explorer, so you can select those collisions that are all over the place and delete them and clean up those collisions.

Hope you find this as usefull as me!

Thanks and bye

@Tomarty also liked this idea.

I resized one of the larger ones that froze up studio down to around the size of a humanoid and it froze up still, so i don’t believe it is because it is large but because. And the post said that it does take a while to compute so i guess it got so overwhelmed that it crashed ¯_(ツ)_/¯.

But as the original post said, “Next release of Studio has a major improvement that isn’t released yet, so you may run into some shapes that break this process.”, so the breaks described are in a way expected.

I know this wasn’t any help but I guess it is an explanation.

Thanks for this new feature !! I had trouble with curved 3D models collisions and this should fix it.
I hope this feature come out soon. :grinning:

Thank you for this feature! Can’t wait to try it out!

I have a group of meshparts. If I highlight all 7 of them and switch to the new collision setting, Studio freezes. These are pretty simple shapes.

If you can’t replicate you have permission to access my place labeled “sandbox”. The camera is pointed to the offending meshparts. Workspace>ProblemChild>Train>Body>Collide.

The volcano in center of map is using new settings just fine.

1 Like