New Studio Racing Template!

That’s actually a good point, even though it won’t be ML a simple if this do that NPC behavior is good.

2 Likes

22 Likes

I saw this yesterday, the handling is incredible! It’s also very easy to work with, I was able to hook up a golf cart model to it fairly easily. I don’t have much issues with it aside from the camera, so I’m definitely going to be using this handling in my game.

4 Likes

I’m looking forward to getting the rest of the templates remade too.
I love this one, Great job guys!

2 Likes

Glad you like it! Yes, we are definitely planning to redo more templates, though they may not all be as art-heavy as this one, we’re definitely going to improve the visuals and code. The current templates are outdated and we’d like to make sure they’re all following the current best practices for the platform.

This is super cool! How was your experience adding this? We tried to make it as easy as possible to extend with clean, commented code and attributes to interface with.

It does not include AI racers, but the car was designed with this use case in mind. You can take out the client control scripts and have an AI script interface with the car through the Controller module as well as attributes on the Input configuration object inside the car.

11 Likes

My experience was more of thinking how other racing games ranked their players, and trying to replicate those elements in Roblox.
The code is a table that stores all the current players in the race, and updates their placement based on some value. Since there was already a checkpoint element already implemented in the game, it was easier to write a logic system using elements already provided to me than to make up another. At first, calculating the player’s placement grew from the # of checkpoints passed, then I decided for the code to track position in between checkpoints, offering more competition and the urge to pass players in the race.

6 Likes

Haha I was waiting for an announcement on this. I saw it was updated in studio yesterday and I played around in it. I really enjoy this new racing template.

Speedrun time

4 Likes

Thank you Cedar! I was the art lead for this update, as well as the Modern City. Visual improvements to the Templates are super important to us, and the rendering engine has come a LONG way in the last few years, so we want the templates to inspire!

8 Likes

I do like the new Template but I did have some issues with it yesterday where if I put the max speed of the buggy and crash into something my character would freak out by teleporting millions of studs away and back to the place of the crash (same with the buggy itself) and I do not know how to fix it, maybe it has been fixed, now that this Template has been announced officially.

2 Likes

This is incredibly well done and a huge improvement over the old template!

The chassis could use a tutorial though.

While it’s pretty intuitive how to change the wheels or the car body, modifying its wheel placement is a bit of a headache. The distance between the back wheels can be extended pretty easily but the front wheels lock up if you increase the distance between them.

I’ve been trying this for the past hour and I can’t figure out exactly what needs moved and what doesn’t in order to have the front wheels working.

This is what I’m trying to do:

If anyone can figure out how to move the front wheels without having them lock up that would be great!

5 Likes

Holding Alt on the SteeringRack’s RodConstraints and change the length according to the current distance shown seems to work well for me. If you move the position of the front wheels, you could also move the steering rack along with it as well (although I recommend not moving the front wheels forward or backward at all and keeping those changes to the back)

4 Likes

Looks like people are putting it to good use!

8 Likes

Before this topic was made, yesterday, I was simply working at the Roblox Studio and then got this pop-up with a new template called “Racing”… I was curious and took a look, and I was surprised!

It looks pretty neat and tries to follow the same graphics and quality of AAA games. Impressive!

However, one little problem that I noticed is that these parts are not connecting to the wall. You can scale it, of course, but that would cause a z-fight, creating a terrible visual for the garage.

I hope this can be fixed sooner. The small details make a huge difference!

@ADAMW3D In what software did you use to create such materials and meshes? I assume you used Autodesk Maya?

3 Likes

Do you know how I could make materials like those in blender and then export them into roblox? I’ve tried baking but it doesn’t seem to work. (sry but im new to building)

2 Likes

Is the team behind both Resources and 3D Art at Roblox going to revamp all of the “classic” templates with better quality (i.e. using low-poly meshes, yet with seamless materials as well as baked textures in SurfaceAppearance)?

Are there any plans to produce others that are different as both teams finish revamping the templates? For instance, Alpha Strike has only 4 templates and we never saw any new ones thinking out of the box

3 Likes

You can create procedural textures in Blender! There are various tutorials online that can help you come a bit closer to what we see in this template.

However, if you want to make it THAT realistic, you would need to comprehend UV Mapping and use software to highlight and create in the style you want to achieve such as Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Substance 3D Painter, and Adobe Substance 3D Designer.

2 Likes

so if I wanted to make a low poly house (or something else) I could use procedural textures and then export it into roblox?

2 Likes

Hello, for visitors here in Dev forum and also if you can’t publish it, you can test and edit the Modern Racing Game here: Modern Racing

5 Likes

For people who want to test out the placement system here’s the game link Racing Game - Roblox

4 Likes

Yeah, you can do that not only using procedural textures but also as image textures such as gradients for example! It would depend on the style you want to do… Then, make sure you save all of your progress (as well as the texture) and export it as a .fbx file!

2 Likes