New Terrain, and Parts, and Built-In Materials, Oh my!

Please deprecate the existing EnumItems and add new ones for the new names. It will be confusing otherwise.

1 Like

To get the part versions of the new materials you gotta directly change the material from the material section of a part’s property.

Nice update, will increase realism, it may however make the low poly style less used, it seems roblox was made to be more real, that’s what I think the devs and staff want

1 Like

I’d honestly prefer if these new materials were optional. Having old materials completely replaced would ruin a lot of current existing games.

11 Likes

Just to note, the new materials are meant to work well with PBR as said in the post.

The current materials were not built when PBR existed on roblox. Which is why they don’t look as modern and “realistic” to the new ones.

1 Like

The point being made is that the new materials completely ruin and destroy the visuals of many games and assets which developers have spent up to several years building, not that we hate realism. Imagine logging on to YouTube and finding that they’re dropping support for all mp4 files, and everything uploaded in that format will be forced to 360p. It’s exactly like that.

Can you imagine any other platform where updates are actually made with no workaround, destroying years worth of content in the process?

11 Likes

I for one actually like the new fabric. It actually looks more ripple-y.

(For meshes)Forcefield can be changed in blender or other 3d apps I think

For comparison between the old and new materials, well here ya go.

Current Materials:

New Materials:

From what I see, the new materials look wayy darker than the current ones.

So we need to keep the current ones so old builds or games don’t look as incompatible with the new ones.

In-case you are wondering, the lighting is set to voxel, and the part colors are the default (Medium Stone Grey) Doesn’t seem like the material textures are “color” variant like the old ones

9 Likes

Any this is why custom materials have been released for public testing. They are getting tons of feedback on it, and I really hope it turns out great in the end when it officially releases.

4 Likes

Third one, second row, second image looks amazing :eyes:

You should show the textures both at max quality and min quality, they look different depending on quality level.

They should keep and rename old textures to something like “Classic (texturename)” and then have these new textures added in addition to them so that everyone can be happy.

9 Likes

Personally I think they should not do this. It would just be extra bloat the the API.

1 Like

Will these new textures affect older games? I have showcases which I explicitly want the old textures on.
Also, general criticism here; a good portion of the new textures look god awful.

You should list the textures you think look awful and why and how to improve them. Saying some look awful doesn’t really help.

1 Like

True, but it would keep existing games the same and allow for much more variation in terms of materials (both part and terrain).

1 Like

So when will this be fully released?

Reminder that the build is a work in progress. Getting sour and spitting and insulting the company because the first release of an extremely in-dev product is not finished (duh?) only serves to make engineers more jaded and reluctant to share with the community. We have been asking for this kind of transparency for years and Roblox is finally starting to let us see early what they’re working on.

Please try to be level-headed and respectful. Give your feedback as clearly and concisely as possible without attacking Roblox for what is clearly not finished, and they will do their best to listen.

11 Likes

I don’t see what I said that was “sour” and “spitting in their face” when all I expressed were my worries for the future, and a slightly sarcastic remark, followed by a compliment to ruddev. Not once did I insult the company with that post.

I advise you to please consider your words more carefully when responding, as if you had scrolled up, you would see I’ve already provided my own feedback and concerns above.