New Terrain, and Parts, and Built-In Materials, Oh my!

Third one, second row, second image looks amazing :eyes:

You should show the textures both at max quality and min quality, they look different depending on quality level.

They should keep and rename old textures to something like ā€œClassic (texturename)ā€ and then have these new textures added in addition to them so that everyone can be happy.

9 Likes

Personally I think they should not do this. It would just be extra bloat the the API.

1 Like

Will these new textures affect older games? I have showcases which I explicitly want the old textures on.
Also, general criticism here; a good portion of the new textures look god awful.

You should list the textures you think look awful and why and how to improve them. Saying some look awful doesnā€™t really help.

1 Like

True, but it would keep existing games the same and allow for much more variation in terms of materials (both part and terrain).

1 Like

So when will this be fully released?

Reminder that the build is a work in progress. Getting sour and spitting and insulting the company because the first release of an extremely in-dev product is not finished (duh?) only serves to make engineers more jaded and reluctant to share with the community. We have been asking for this kind of transparency for years and Roblox is finally starting to let us see early what theyā€™re working on.

Please try to be level-headed and respectful. Give your feedback as clearly and concisely as possible without attacking Roblox for what is clearly not finished, and they will do their best to listen.

11 Likes

I donā€™t see what I said that was ā€œsourā€ and ā€œspitting in their faceā€ when all I expressed were my worries for the future, and a slightly sarcastic remark, followed by a compliment to ruddev. Not once did I insult the company with that post.

I advise you to please consider your words more carefully when responding, as if you had scrolled up, you would see Iā€™ve already provided my own feedback and concerns above.

TL:DR Variations of materials, have new and old materials simulatenously.

Genuinely curious if anyone has suggested material variations, rather than simply replacing materials over and over throughout the years? Iā€™m too lazy to dive into the comments before this and see if it was suggested, but if it was can someone just reply to this and reroute me to it? Is it wrong to have several variations of one material, as in for example wooden planks. To have the old version of the wooden planks and the new ones simultaneously. Just expanding the material inventory rather than redoing it.

I understand that the new PBR system in place would allow users to simply just create their own versions of textures, rather than deal with Robloxā€™s. At the same time although thereā€™s a large chunk of developers that donā€™t have the ability to do so. Not only that but doing a change this large will just simply deconstruct and ruin the environmental design people have created using the previous materials, for example Liam Hutch (@LMH_Hutch) above stated how much it affects his games design. Itā€™s as simple as that, variations.

7 Likes

I personally like this solution the best, but with this and the new textures, and the textures not included in the beta, it might be difficult to find what youā€™re looking for in the material select thing. Obviously everyone would get used to it, but it might be too confusing for new users.

Edits: I accidentally posted the reply before I was done making it.

1 Like

Why dont they use that material pack setting idea they had back in I think RDC19 or RDC18 where they would have different styles of the same material for different game styles. Then you just select your style and boom everything is converted.

3 Likes

@Roblox should make the creator of the game decide to use the old textures or new textures for their game

1 Like

It would be nice if the fabric material had a higher resolution. Itā€™s too blurry. Also the slate looks too smooth and can make buildings look more cartoony then realistic.

3 Likes

Itā€™s because the new materials rely on normal, roughness and metalness maps to be visualized. When the quality is lowered, Roblox stops rendering any PBR maps to save on resources. The reason why the old materials look better at low quality is because of 2 possible reasons:

1. The color map would be swapped out with a texture that has baked lighting
  2. The texture already had baked lighting and the PBR textures were simply removed with no further changes

I feel like the first one is the best answer, but you canā€™t see and PBR maps when a texture is in a shadow, and materials like slate seem to have a little but of baked ambient occlusion, so the second one is a possibility.

1 Like

Youā€™re a bit mistaken there. Both textures are PBR, itā€™s just that they were revamped and look better.

A weird bug I found with the slate terrain. It is set to the regular material color, but for some reason, it has a stroke of teal.

It also is bioluminescent in the dark.

Edit: I found out the issue occurs when a light source is near it.

2 Likes

That makes sense but having sand not look like sand in the light on lower quality is simply unacceptable. And diamond plate looking like theres no texture is also simply unacceptable.

1 Like

Yeah, we need this.

Not only would it preserve legacy games but I donā€™t like the new materials and donā€™t want to have to convert everything Iā€™ve ever made to them just to continue to enjoy my creationsā€¦ Itā€™s not hard to do and thereā€™s undoubtedly advantages to it, and a clean UI could be made for it.

Not everyone has the ability to make custom materials, or the skill or funds required. Itā€™d just be way easier toward hobbyists such as myself to do it like this.

3 Likes