New Terrain, and Parts, and Built-In Materials, Oh my!

(I deleted my posts since they were off topic and I don’t want them to get flagged sure this is off topic but I should give a reason why they were deleted so it isn’t confusing)

1 Like

try it with future lighting and enable shadows for all lights

Why are we talking about Rendering Stuff if this topic is related to Materials?

Also I’m pretty sure Roblox doesn’t have global Illumination atm.

You can fake the effect by putting a pointlight on the part where the light bounces the room (basically put a light on a area that a sun is lighting at)

I’ve seen a couple of showcase games use this technique, it actually works pretty good sometimes

Weird request

If you were a member between 2010-2011, you probably remember brass being removed. Could we have it return? I can’t ever get something to look like brass without the texture, and i think an improved PBR texture would be handy.

9 Likes

Oh my, I never knew brass existed. I initially joined back in 2012 but I never knew this existed as a Roblox material once. This would be a really good use for piping or something.

If you can could you perhaps link me that in DM? or edit your message with the link, Either one works.

Edit - Also the updated thread is here

Omg… THIS LOOKS AMAZING I WANT IT!

1 Like

lemme tell you something… we need and I mean- really need custom materials for terrain… we need more customisation, really

3 Likes

Yeah, that’s an update that’s worked on I belive.

1 Like

SUGGESTION FOR PARTS
What about a cartoony wood texture for trees and other things similar to the trees in this Animal Crossing picture
AND
I would also LOVE to see a soft, silky, slightly reflective polyester-like material similar to this tent

5 Likes

Roblox won’t be adding any cartoon materials. They’ve said it themselves in the Indoor Dynamic Environment Maps announcement that they are are trying to achieve realism with the Roblox engine.

1 Like

Wasen’t it that they wanted to make pbr look better indoors? And also GI and reflections also works well for cartoony enviroments.

2 Likes

Yeah but I was using that to back up my claim on Roblox not adding cartoony materials as default textures, because it simply isn’t realistic.

Isn’t cartoon texturing just cel shade and a flat-ish texture?

1 Like

If you’re talking about objects having a cartoony look, I’d recommend changing the material to fabric and laying a decal / texture over it. It removes all the shininess and it’s what most FPS games use for their guns or other textures.

1 Like

Not necessarily. Cartoony style isn’t limited to just Cel shading. Cartoony is usually something that doesn’t follow the look and feel of real life, such as low poly, vibrant colors, misshapen objects, and/or stylized texturing.

2 Likes

But not all games on the platform use Realistic textures or are they remotely close to realistic looking? Your basically saying the games that I make or games similar to mine are terrible and they shouldn’t be on the platform cause Its not realistic. So instead of giving built-in materials to all types of games on the platform were just gonna focus on the realistic side instead of games that prefer to be low poly and use cartoony textures.

Are type of games are already forced to make/use our own terrain cause Roblox doesn’t have any cartoony textures for terrain.

3 Likes

Ya. I guess. But, it would make total sense. Many robloxians love the cartoony style and it looks good on lowpoly which many use cuz of its style and performance benefits

I mean the materials made my place look a lot better, here is a pic of a year ago when I was alpha testing the materials.

@Crazedbrick1

3 Likes