New Terrain, and Parts, and Built-In Materials, Oh my!

Do beta testers already have this feature? Or do we have to actually opt in a place.

@RBLXImagineer

1 Like

I would love to Opt in
Place ID: 6060959284

1 Like

This is seriously insane, that does not even look like Roblox anymore and I love it! Now you can finally have great looking environment

I also want to opt in

PLACE ID: 2453968183

1 Like

I would like to opt in!

Roblox account: Gamer_io - Roblox
Game: Untitled RPG - Roblox

2 Likes

This is absolutely gorgeous! I love what you guys at Roblox are doing to develop this platform into a more realistic place to play! I can’t wait until I can enable this for my game!

Ps. Will we get more terrain tools/updated terrain tools?

4 Likes

Gold can be made by setting the material to metal and simply changing the color of it and turning up the EnvironmentalSpecularScale. Chrome is possible with the Refined Iron material, and even with these current materials if Roblox had reflections. The only thing right now that depicts if a surface/material/object is metallic or rough is the Specular, which is basically a reflection of a light source and nothing else. Defining an object’s metalness by just using Specular reflections is very bad, and only looks metallic at a certain angle, or when multiple speculars are present. Skybox reflections are pretty bad too, seeing as you need an incredibly detailed skybox to make it look good, and they don’t work indoors. Trying to fake a reflection of a room by taking screenshots and setting it as a skybox is a smart idea, but the reflections warp in weird, unrealistic ways, cannot reflect moving objects, and you can only have 1 skybox set at a time. (Although, you could have a script that changes the skybox when a character moves into another area.) CloneTrooper1019’s game is a perfect example of this: Dr. Kleiner's Lab - Roblox
Cube Map reflections are more or less the same as Skybox reflections, but look better and can be positioned; reducing or eliminating the unintended warping effect.
Then there’s real time reflections such as, Ray Traced reflections, Path Traced reflections, Updating Cube Map Reflections, etc. These are the best by far and chrome material will become a thing when real time reflections are implemented, but right now, we’ve just got specular and skybox reflections.

6 Likes

Can I be on the beta testing? My username is cantercrow and I am developing games

2 Likes

There’s a lot for good materials here. Cardboard, Fur, and Denim Many be the most hyped by modelers. Can’t wait. :happy3:

1 Like

This can be done. I believe you edit the parts CustomPhysicalProperties and change friction.

2 Likes

Actually, I think the the part-only materials are only for part is because it wouldn’t make sense to use for terrain. Who would use Cardboard and Denim for terrain?

1 Like

Is there a confirmed release date for this?

3 Likes

I’m in LOVE! I can’t wait for this to release.

3 Likes

Absolutely stunning work, guys. The winter and volcanic scenes are incredible. Can’t wait to see what creators can do with these tools.

7 Likes

Imagine those Star Wars games you could make. :eyes:

2 Likes

I know you could make awsome games.

1 Like

I could probably make a more realistic horror game with this!

2 Likes

Absolutely amazing! How do I enable this in studio??

2 Likes

@RBLXImagineer Is it possible to add a siding and stone material? Maybe an exterior wood as well?

Also, do you have any pictures of the new stucco texture?

14 Likes

I’d personally like a smooth material for terrain as well. We have all these realistic materials but what about the low poly side of roblox that wants to use smooth plastic or something like clean material that we can use.

2 Likes

I think you’re thinking of stained wood.

1 Like