New Terrain, and Parts, and Built-In Materials, Oh my!

Wow this is amazing!!
I’m super excited to see what this has to offer, especially for ‘realistic’ RPGs in Roblox. :open_mouth:

Edit: Assuming I have to opt-in using a universe ID, I’d LOVE to be able to check it out in a WIP game of mine. The universe ID for this is 3785696201. Thanks! :slight_smile:

1 Like

No idea how the opt-in works but if this is the way, please enable it for my place ID: 6108379882

Already in Roblox Beta program.

1 Like

I agree as well, but maybe you should just use it at max graphics, because you’re keeping it at level 1 just to make it look even worse. Sure, the water doesn’t look as good as the water from Unreal Engine, but how can you even assume that it looks that bad when you’re not even at max graphics, which is at least somewhat more decent.

And as for the shape, that’s an easy fix. Simply use the fill tool instead of add.

1 Like

I’m glad roblox is taking steps to expanding the tools we can use and improving realism on the platform!

I’d like to opt in to the beta:
Place ID: 6108484309

1 Like

Part material ideas:

• Shell: Iridescence that reflects different colors depending on ambient lighting and viewer angle.
  • Fiberglass: A combination between wood’s grain and the refraction effect from glass or ice.
  • Hexagons: Self-explanatory.
  • Mosaic: Interlocking geometric shapes.
  • Fluid: Similar to Force Fields, except it produces a liquid rippling effect.
  • Carbon Fiber: Pretty straightforward.
  • Tendons: Organic muscle tissue.
  • Biomechanical: The signature style of Aliens artist H. R. Giger.
  • Cyber: Circuit board dynamically lit along the wires.
  • Regolith: Moon rocks with craters.
  • Mercury: Glossy metallic substance.
  • Corrugated Metal: Like Diamond Plate, but in parallel lines.
  • Fluorite: Opalescent crystal with swirls of color.
14 Likes

This looks outstanding! I’d love to opt-in.
Place ID: 6033325775

1 Like

This thing look’s so cool :open_mouth:

And i would like to opt in to the beta:
Place ID: 6044060970

2 Likes

Whoa, I’ve been looking forwards to better materials for a long time so this is really awesome.

Now to hope that water gets fixed, to go along with it. I still am unable to do underwater landscapes due to the forced underwater fog, and how water prevents any touching terrain from being smooth.

That would be great if we could have more control over the swimming behavior too.

1 Like

Whats the outlook onto possible enhanced terrain tools to work with larger areas of terrain at once? It can take quite a while to grow or erode large portions of terrain from my experience.

1 Like

I would also like to opt-in the to the beta!
Place ID: 443555853

This is- AMAZING! I’d love to opt-in.
Place ID:

Opt in

Place ID: 4656807268
Wow, I really like the new part & terrain materials. Can’t wait to see it in-game!

An amazing update! Due to the fact I am making a terrain focused game, this will be SO beneficial for me!

Can’t wait to use this as well! I would recommend to create a pbr texture section in the toolbox. I am so excited for the terrain! :smiley:

Opt-in: 6105881197

1 Like

Yoo! This will look amazing once it’s out! If I may suggest anything, it would be very cool if it was possible to create custom terrain sculpting brushes that work with height maps, from pngs with black to white gradients, so we could make precise shapes without constantly changing the brush size, or brushes to paint the marterials. Also, would it be possible for us to create our own “built in materials” with SurfaceAppearance? Or make it usable on parts, witch apparently have what I would call “dynamic UV maps” (since the material scale doesn’t change when we resize the part itself)?

1 Like

I definitely want in on this. Excited to see how nice of an environment I can get together.

Opt In
Place ID: 4846835979

1 Like

Hello, It is Claasgreeneye here!

I Love the look of the new materials you are bringing to this platform it is making it overall more expansive for new ideas for our imagination to explore. Amazing work ROBLOX staff!

I would like to Opt-in:
Here is my place id: 4464467817

1 Like

An amazing addition to the materials. I always feel like this has been needed for a while.

I don’t think I’ll be accepted in the beta but here goes! The game which the place ID belongs to is currently in a work in progress state.

Place ID: 5963227102

It’s amazing to see how far Roblox has come with realism. Good job on this update!

I just want to say this looks amazing. I hope this feature will come out In a way as well were you can have different colors of the same terrain like different colors of grass, dirt, rocks, etc… as well with possibly a second day color for gradient to give a more realistic affect to possibly show off snow and etc…