New Terrain, and Parts, and Built-In Materials, Oh my!

This is great! My project really needed this.

Opt in game ids:

Looks cool! Like PBR texture, I hope soon be will be released official, will be a good update for games with purpose is make like the game it is realistic experience!

This update is amazing and I can’t wait to use it and I would love to opt In.

Game Id: 6115552680

So… when are we getting the terrain decor that was started on a couple years back? We were told we’d see stuff for each terrain type, but only got blades of grass for, well, grass. This is super cool, and I’d love to use it, but a lot of us were pretty hyped for small rocks on rock textures. Unless that’ll be included in this.

It will be prob more easy because it is a PBR ( or that i can see ) so uhh yeah, why they don’t let us make our own toolbox of texture terrain?? :PP

Love how far ROBLOX has come, I’d love to OPT-in

Place ID: 6115754752

This is probably one of the most exciting updates I’ve heard since I don’t really see much updates on the Terrain and Part Materials.

Glad this is here, this is amazing for all builders.

I wish Part Properties had more options for like, Glow Intensity for only some materials (Such as neon color value).

I find this update extremely exciting since I always wanted to use terrain materials on Parts, and more material options.

Opt-in request. Place ID: 3500202081

1 Like

A leaves texture would be useful, or a reworked leafy grass. Leafy grass just doesn’t cut it for fall maps and using decals/meshes over a giant area of forest is something I’d prefer not to do both for lag and time wasted placing reasons.

17 Likes

Is there any planned feature for ‘material mixing’?

Basically a feature which allows you to use two materials (or more) on a part to give it the effect of there being two materials present. The purpose of this being for new cosmetics and generally better aesthetic use of a materials.

A good example of what I mean deals with corroded metal material. At the moment, corroded metal is very corroded which aesthetically and realistically doesn’t look too great/doesn’t make much sense in a lot of use cases.

To ‘fix’ this, an option to ‘mix’ to materials at once (using sliders to ‘tune’ the strength of one particular over the other material and vice versa, or some other mechanic.)

By doing this I can in theory use corroded metal and normal metal together to give the appearance of there being corroded metal spots and metal spots.

My material suggestion would be a lighter corroded metal/slightly rusted material that doesn’t cover an entire part/model/mesh with corrosion.

4 Likes

This is a great feature, can’t wait for it to release, here is a difference.

Here is current studio

Sand:

And this is the new one

I want there to be a tiny 0.05 - 0.1 reflection on the material so it doesn’t look dull. Or a reflectional surface like PDR.

It looks like now there’s more depth to the texture and a better reflectional surface line. Good work!

One thing that isn’t confirmed is the detailed placement, let me explain.

It’s super hard to achieve this

It’s perfectly balanced, lets all hope that advanced terrain placing comes out!

17 Likes

I’d love to opt in! This looks amazing!

Place ID: 6100953159

I’d like to opt in for 2 of my places:

1. 5875925425
  2. 5245768015

These materials look absolutely marvelous! Will there be something like Blender’s Nodes system in the future for customizable materials?

1 Like

I feel like a menu that you open similar to the explorer tab would be nice where you could search for materials.

2 Likes

Wow!! This looks incredible. The terrain has looked so dull for the longest time, and I barely ever found a use for the terrain, but now I think this update will breath new life into the terrain tool.

Opt in

Place id: 6106750840

1 Like

Woah! I really hope this will be released soon!

1 Like

I LOVE THIS UPDATE, this will enable games to look soo much more realistic. The roblox staff do be giving us some good presents this year, but i do have one question.

will this weird looking water be getting a fix? other than that I can’t wait to try out this update!

18 Likes

Here is some more for Glass Materials:

■ Frost Glass

■ Wet Glass

■ Crystal Glass
crystal-glass-film-500x500

54 Likes

Thanks for this update!
I was hungrily hoping this would include custom materials. Like other engines, you could import your own normal maps, bump maps, ambient occlusion, reflection and so on to create a PBR material.

I have not used the beta stuff so far so IDK if this is currently a thing.

Materials I’d like to see are:

• tree leaves(not just ground)
  • better pebbles(if that one wasn’t mentioned)
  • wet sand (to go between water and dry sand)
  • cut log end
  • neon as an adjustable feature on any material.
  • cloud/smoke
10 Likes