New Terrain, and Parts, and Built-In Materials, Oh my!

Considering how much this would advance our ways of using materials, it would be amazing to be able to have many more materials to our liking. I wanted to bring up a suggestion that me and a couple of friends have discussed greatly on would be to add the ability to use textures of our own. With using the MaterialsService to create a new material using a texture id. An example for this suggestion would be if I wanted to create a game that generates different types of terrain like Metal ore or something like a rainbow texture, just for the fun of it. It would allow many creators to use material textures they desire for their terrain. I like the idea of being able to use a texture for the terrain of my choice.

1 Like

Opt in
I would like to join this to see how it will affect my current build of a map I’m currently making to showcase the impact and show the realism this can bring.

PlaceID

I should give it a shot

Opt-in
Place ID:

Opt-in
Looks EPIC, can’t wait to test it!

Place ID: 6185282757

Opt-in

these new terrains could change the realism games in roblox to make them look great. they have really great potential, so i’d like to try it out.

Place ID: 136680743

Opt-In

Place ID: 5066496930
Username: Nullxiety

I am currently working on this game and it features very hard work on lighting. I am already using future lighting, surface appearance, and other new features to make it look good, so I want to use this update as well!

2 Likes

I have a question concerning this update; will the terrain be automatically changed? For example, if I have an entire game built with the old terrain, will I need to redesign the entire environment with the new terrain, or will my game update to the new terrain automatically?

I believe they are still keeping the old terrain, and simply adding new options for materials. Although if they did update the textures, it would be automatic I assume.

1 Like

Opt-In

Place ID: 6185713251
Username: Mosope_stars

Good job roblox! I love this!

2 Likes

Now I want to build more specifically because of this. Absolutely amazing.

1 Like

How do I know if my place is opting in? I have not seen any changes to my place.

1 Like

How exactly will texture unwraping work?
I feel like that it’s currently very limited, unless I’m missing something.

1 Like

I would like to opt in at the place id 6187345511

1 Like

Here are a few of my ideas for new materials:

Terrain/Parts:

• Polished diamond
  • Wax
  • Rock (Because there is currently rock terrain, but it would be cool to make a secret entrance with a part that looks like it or something)

Parts Only:

• Polished Wood Grain
  • Polished Wood Planks

Also, it would be cool if ice had a property of it that made it slippery to be on. Not slippery as in falling I mean, but as in Minecraft were you slightly slide a little. Sort of how like you can change the wave speed of water.

5 Likes

Do beta testers already have this feature? Or do we have to actually opt in a place.

@RBLXImagineer

1 Like

I would love to Opt in
Place ID: 6060959284

1 Like

This is seriously insane, that does not even look like Roblox anymore and I love it! Now you can finally have great looking environment

I also want to opt in

PLACE ID: 2453968183

1 Like

I would like to opt in!

Roblox account: Gamer_io - Roblox
Game: Untitled RPG - Roblox

2 Likes

This is absolutely gorgeous! I love what you guys at Roblox are doing to develop this platform into a more realistic place to play! I can’t wait until I can enable this for my game!

Ps. Will we get more terrain tools/updated terrain tools?

4 Likes

Gold can be made by setting the material to metal and simply changing the color of it and turning up the EnvironmentalSpecularScale. Chrome is possible with the Refined Iron material, and even with these current materials if Roblox had reflections. The only thing right now that depicts if a surface/material/object is metallic or rough is the Specular, which is basically a reflection of a light source and nothing else. Defining an object’s metalness by just using Specular reflections is very bad, and only looks metallic at a certain angle, or when multiple speculars are present. Skybox reflections are pretty bad too, seeing as you need an incredibly detailed skybox to make it look good, and they don’t work indoors. Trying to fake a reflection of a room by taking screenshots and setting it as a skybox is a smart idea, but the reflections warp in weird, unrealistic ways, cannot reflect moving objects, and you can only have 1 skybox set at a time. (Although, you could have a script that changes the skybox when a character moves into another area.) CloneTrooper1019’s game is a perfect example of this: Dr. Kleiner's Lab - Roblox
Cube Map reflections are more or less the same as Skybox reflections, but look better and can be positioned; reducing or eliminating the unintended warping effect.
Then there’s real time reflections such as, Ray Traced reflections, Path Traced reflections, Updating Cube Map Reflections, etc. These are the best by far and chrome material will become a thing when real time reflections are implemented, but right now, we’ve just got specular and skybox reflections.

6 Likes