New Terrain, and Parts, and Built-In Materials, Oh my!

i’d assume so as they’re the same as any other material.

6 Likes

Yes it will work across the platform, in a similar manner as our prior materials

12 Likes

THIS IS ROBLOX?! LETS GOOOOO!

I seriously can’t wait to start using these, so much detail here!
I am curious to see if we will eventually be able to create our own Shaders like Unity though?
Via code or a shader graph, and without the use of Blender for texturing.

A library of user-made textures (if this will ever be allowed) for free/sale would be cool to see as well!

12 Likes

Will this cause higher performance issues?

10 Likes

seeing as others are saying you reply to opt into this,

i’d like to opt-in! id: 5453650144

6 Likes

I personally am super hyped for this update, those look amazing, this will completely change up how roblox looks. Will these material changes be automatically applied, or does each player have to enable a feature to change them? And vice versa?

4 Likes

Can we opt-in by replying to this post?

7 Likes

Will the terrain generation tool also be updated alongside this (or relatively soon after), making use of the new materials? I know with part-to-terrain plugins existing it’s less used, but I’m sure newer developers and people who use it often would appreciate it.

I’d also like to opt-in if this is the correct place for it, place ID of 5231765738

4 Likes

No, it will cost like all materials costs.

4 Likes

Yeah, existing tools like the terrain generation and part to terrain will work the same and inherit the new material visuals.

6 Likes

@RBLXImagineer I would like my game to be whitelisted. The game ID is 605363266. Thank you for the update!

3 Likes

Can the following game get opted in? ID: 6098083863

4 Likes

I have been waiting for this for a long long time. I would like to Opt In.

Game ID: 5217841503

2 Likes

A very merry Christmas indeed!

Could we please get some sort of smooth, opaque, iridescent material that refracts light in a rainbow-esque color, like blowing bubbles? I’d absolutely love to make some models with such a property, and it’s been on my wish list for quite some time. The only way to do such a thing currently is to set reflectance to a high number and then add a fake skybox, and then make the actual skybox a rainbow pattern.

14 Likes

If anyone’s wondering whether this is available right now, I haven’t picked up anything in my client tracker. Looks like this is just an early announcement, unless some of this functionality secretly shipped into the client already…?

Does this have anything to do with the MaterialsService mentioned in the 2020 developer roadmap?

51 Likes

Not sure if this is the official way to drop your place ID, but just in case: 570460315

5 Likes

Yeah. I don’t see anything about it on the list. That’s why I had to ask before jumping on in.

5 Likes

Does this mean there’s a possibility of having water as a part/mesh material?

6 Likes

Oh boy I’m extremely hyped for this! I absolutely love working with terrain! These new terrains will definitely help add realism to people’s games! I would also love to test these features out for myself!

Game ID: 5990393161

4 Likes

I would love to opt-in on this!

2 Likes