New Terrain, and Parts, and Built-In Materials, Oh my!

Roblox is slowly becoming unity with their updates

9 Likes

AMAZING! RTX Roblox came early!

6 Likes

This looks beautiful! I would love to Opt-In for this.

Place ID: 6106391720

5 Likes

Improvements to the terrain itself are coming down the road, but are separate from these material updates. Keep an eye out!

24 Likes

This is huge news indeed. I’ve been looking forward to this for a while now, and I’m glad it’s far more then I imagined when hearing it announced initially! Awesome work to all the team members involved on this project.

How do we apply to have our games whitelisted?

13 Likes

Yes This is Something That I really wanted for my realistic England Terrain map.
I am going to stay in tuned for what next to come.
I’d Opt In for testing my Map for theses materials too. ID:5979285184

5 Likes

I would like to opt in my testing place for these materials.

ID: 5899664925

5 Likes

I would like to opt-in my Cake Factory game for this beta. The place ID is 4090693355

5 Likes

Assuming what you mean by opt-in is that you apply by commenting your place id similar to other beta features right now, I would like this change applied to my testing game

3 Likes

would love to see a patchy grass dirt material. Something in between the mud and grass material.

5 Likes

When does this beta Feature come out?

9 Likes

Amazing update this was a pleasant surprise to see.
Quick question, are any of the trees shown in the screenshots using the new wood material?

3 Likes

I think so, I may be using a MeshPart that has a SurfaceAppearance Object making it have a PBR Texture

4 Likes

Hello, in the original post it says that we can apply for a whitelisted program to publish these updates. Do we do so by asking on this post, or will there be an application released via the survey portal that is used for other things like sort applications?

6 Likes

Looking good. Any word on adding custom terrain materials or at least letting us have multiple colours of one terrain material in one game? There are multiple regions in my game and I run out of colours to use, so I have to write a script that changes terrain material colours depending on your location. Grass is the biggest issue because only one grass material spawns the grass leaves. I need to be able to have yellowish grass/green grass in the same game.

12 Likes

There are not, but showing Surface Appearance working in action with the new PBR materials, so you can see how these features will work together!

11 Likes

Roblox is just changing everyday, from solid and unrealistic material And terrains to this. I feel like Roblox has done a very good job on trying to make Roblox realistic as much as possible.

One thing I wanna is, does these materials will cost client performances? Because realistic stuffs can cost performance to make it look good.

Good job Roblox! :roblox_light:

11 Likes

Will this work on Roblox for Xbox one and Mobile?

9 Likes

We built these materials to cost the same as current, so you shouldn’t see any performance costs.

17 Likes

I see, did it take a long time to make it? Because this is my first time hearing that realistic materials can work on low end clients perfectly.

10 Likes