New Terrain, and Parts, and Built-In Materials, Oh my!

Nope, you currently have to download it from here

2 Likes

I could understand that if it was a closer difference and not 2k compared to like 360p

yet that’s the case so :confused:

2 Likes

At the same time you’re usually not gonna be super close to the materials when playing

1 Like

This link is nice, however, it doesn’t have any of the newer textures (to anyone considering the download). It’s cool to see the updated previous textures, however.

3 Likes

Before I had first hand experience with this I was all in with the materials, Although after seeing them some of the materials don’t look the same as before or even fit in.

My biggest issue with this entirely is the brick material. It changed my build so much it just looks stupid.

Current Textures

PBR Textures

They also for some reason make the build look darker than what it really is. Not too big of a fan of that.

Edit -
Part sand seems a bit repetitive compared to terrain sand

8 Likes

I found a bug with plastic while building with no global shadows. The wedges and bricks are the same color, yet the wedges have an obvious difference when looked at compared to the bricks. (Note: This doesn’t happen with global shadows enabled.)

2 Likes

I hope this is all optional at full release. Because this really can ruin games art style and make games look a bit funky. Take a look at this tree at the western template,
RobloxScreenShot20210227_172826176
These are the current materials and the tree looks perfectly fine
Now look at this
RobloxScreenShot20210227_172704312
Now it looks a bit weird and funky. And as @SillyMeTimbers noticed it makes builds a LOT darker. Here’s the difference.

Current materials
RobloxScreenShot20210227_172809446

New materials
RobloxScreenShot20210227_172939550
Yikes. Huge difference. While these new materials look a lot better, they need to be optional. We also need stylized materials. Not every game is gonna look realistic. There has to be a optional stylized material.

Also the cracked lava would look better if it had a neon red glow in the cracks. It’ll look a lot better.

7 Likes

After seeing the first release of this, please make this optional or fix the problems with it.

Currently, a lot of materials have forced colors, such as bricks. Brick walls that are supposed to be white now appear red.

Previewing existing games shows most of the colors for practically any part-based object as far darker than they were before the new materials were added.

As someone who uses materials for CSG clothing, character models, and buildings, this is detrimental to my progress and creations. Everything looks alien and wrong. I’m not saying the materials are inherently bad or unlikable, but they don’t have enough in common with the old ones, especially Slate, which is nothing like the old material. I use slate to represent a withered look on some of my characters, which now look like cracked plastic.

Additionally, I use “sand” for a fabric-esque texture on clothing for my human models. Now, black sand looks muted and faded and absolutely horrible. Pure white sand appears tan due to the forced coloring.

Please, fix the problems with the materials such as colors and brightness before forcing this update upon us, and make the old materials optional. I do not want my pretty white buildings to appear red just because they’re brick. If this doesn’t end up being optional, chances are I’ll start modding my studio and player’s textures to maintain visual fidelity.

6 Likes

100% agree with this. One of the best things about the old slate texture was that it was so versatile. I often use slate for tree bark and now my trees look like they’re made of stone, and with the new materials not being released yet there’s no suitable alternative:

Before

After

not to mention the visible tiling on the grass. cmon guys

5 Likes

I’m not sorry when I say this. Roblox made a huge mistake releasing this pack in it’s current state, even as a “beta”. This is nowhere near ready to ship, not even to developers for feedback. I would say I’m more anxious about this than CSGV1’s update. Shipping this without major changes would be enough to make me quit.

4 Likes

calm down lol, that’s why it’s a separate build and not released as an official beta feature yet

4 Likes

The grass material needs some improvment. At a far it starts to look a bit rough like the og slate.

@woodreviewer review this wood, wood this review @woodreviewer
Honestly though, this is a step in the right direction along with surfaceappearance and texture importing.

2 Likes

Something I’ve noticed about these materials is a loss of versatility. Slate, for instance, is a very generic rough and cut texture, making it suitable for not only rocks, but tree bark, hide, and anything with a rough texture. Now slate is a very smooth texture with cracks, somewhat resembling cobblestone scaled up. A similar thing with sand and grass. The soft, flowly look and feel of sand makes it great for snow, blankets, sheets, and clothes. Sand thankfully is very similar, but the little grainy bits in the part texture throw off that soft feel a bit. Grass is also good for dirt, leaves, bushes, etc. Grass, well, looks more like grass now. But now it can’t really work as leaves or of the like. The beta so far has diminished their versatility. I hope that Roblox either dials it back a bit, or offers more materials to compensate.

Plus the forced and dark coloring makes a lot of builds jarring to look at.

2 Likes

Apologies. I was under the impression this was an official release and it was on the horizon.

After some research, it does turn out to be a really silently released github. I just hope that it does get fixed down the line.

1 Like

While yes it has lost it but it looks more similar to real life which was what they wanted to do. What really needs to happen is it being optional. Also the rock material for terrain is on parts so you could also use that for rocks. Something also roblox needs to do is improve the slate material because it’s not rough enough. And also if I remember correctly a bark material is getting added.

2 Likes

I would argue a lot of these look less realistic, namely, concrete.

That being said, I agree. This NEEDS to be optional.

1 Like

I would argue against that looking less realistic. Take a look at the cobblestone material or the sand one. And the pebble material actually look like theres pebbles and doesnt look like a sponge material. But anyways I’m getting off topic.

1 Like

Also, why does the plank in the wood plank texture go by a 0.8 increment instead of the 1 increment?

The wood planks seem to have those ugly lines like in the brick material
RobloxScreenShot20210227_200820677

1 Like