New Terrain, and Parts, and Built-In Materials, Oh my!

Open the Roblxostudiobta.exe file in the file you downloaded. Opening the regular one won’t do it.

I opened it. It asked me to agree to something, so I did that. Nothing new has showed up in materials or anything.

Hm. Try deleting the file and version, downloading it again, extracting it again, and try to start it up.

1 Like

Just done it. Still nothing new. I’ve deleted it and downloaded it again and then extracted it. I’m definitely opening the Beta one and not the normal one.

Then I can’t help you. I’m not sure why it doesn’t work.

1 Like

It’s fixed now, I re installed it again and it seems to work now.

I checked out the beta. I love most of this. However, There is room for improvement. Here is what I don’t like.

• Grass. To me, this looks like someone threw grass clippings on the ground. It’s ugly.
  • Fabric looks worse than it did before.
  • Not sure if this is a beta thing or not, but as you move away from Corroded metal, the corrosion gets much more… there.
    image image
  • the colors on cracked lava change, but not really.
  • its the same with grass, you cant quite get it to any shade of blue.
  • no material specific settings :pensive:
  • perhaps lighten wood up a bit
  • probably a beta thing, but parts with meshes look a bit…
  • I do hope there will be a setting for turning the new materials on or off, as forcing this update on everyone and everything will ruin quite a few games

Edit: heres all the materials next to each other for comparison with color

5 Likes

My only 4 complaints for this whole thing is:

Make it so everything is colorable, meaning you can make cracked lava with blue streaks instead of red.

Fix corroded metal. It simply is too pixelated and flat.

Make it so some materials that have 2-3 different parts are colorable, as in being able to color each and every layer.

Give the abillity to revert back to the original materials.

6 Likes

Plastic seems to be quite broken in general in this build - unions/meshes use it by default which is why the bug is so prevalent. Hoping to see that fixed in beta v2.

1 Like

Not trying to say your wrong, I agree, but I would like to say I think that some of the new textures on a majority of the maps you showed, don’t look too bad. But I do agree that there should be a way to allow developers to either be able to use the old textures, or allow us to have both versions at the same time

1 Like

Please deprecate the existing EnumItems and add new ones for the new names. It will be confusing otherwise.

1 Like

To get the part versions of the new materials you gotta directly change the material from the material section of a part’s property.

Nice update, will increase realism, it may however make the low poly style less used, it seems roblox was made to be more real, that’s what I think the devs and staff want

1 Like

I’d honestly prefer if these new materials were optional. Having old materials completely replaced would ruin a lot of current existing games.

11 Likes

Just to note, the new materials are meant to work well with PBR as said in the post.

The current materials were not built when PBR existed on roblox. Which is why they don’t look as modern and “realistic” to the new ones.

1 Like

The point being made is that the new materials completely ruin and destroy the visuals of many games and assets which developers have spent up to several years building, not that we hate realism. Imagine logging on to YouTube and finding that they’re dropping support for all mp4 files, and everything uploaded in that format will be forced to 360p. It’s exactly like that.

Can you imagine any other platform where updates are actually made with no workaround, destroying years worth of content in the process?

11 Likes

I for one actually like the new fabric. It actually looks more ripple-y.

(For meshes)Forcefield can be changed in blender or other 3d apps I think

For comparison between the old and new materials, well here ya go.

Current Materials:

New Materials:

From what I see, the new materials look wayy darker than the current ones.

So we need to keep the current ones so old builds or games don’t look as incompatible with the new ones.

In-case you are wondering, the lighting is set to voxel, and the part colors are the default (Medium Stone Grey) Doesn’t seem like the material textures are “color” variant like the old ones

9 Likes

Any this is why custom materials have been released for public testing. They are getting tons of feedback on it, and I really hope it turns out great in the end when it officially releases.

4 Likes