New Terrain, and Parts, and Built-In Materials, Oh my!

I would like to opt-in. ID: 4868424238

You can’t opt-in, They’ll make a separate forum post about that if you do want to opt in.

just download it from github Release Material Update Beta v1.2 ¡ Roblox/material-update-beta ¡ GitHub click the zip file that matches your os

This is cool and all but can we get a smooth plastic texture for terrain? There is so much focus being put on realism but just as many people use cartoony styles in their games

4 Likes

The only thing I can say is this is great! Holy Macaroni!
This is like something that would ascend from the heavens, sent from the gods of Roblox!

The only bad thing to this is that some games can be absolutely WRECKED by the new textures, since they might not look good on some things.

Cobblestone, for example, will wreck… well… cobblestone buildings.
Oh and, it might be a problem on low-end devices, so it should change depending on what graphics you are set on.

Other than that, I’m excited for this!

I agree with you. I think ROBLOX should (instead of replacing textures completely) allow developers to toggle legacy in their games settings. That way older games can keep the appearance they want while newer games can enjoy the benefits of higher res/higher quality textures. I also thought of a new feature they could add called “mixer” you can pick the textures you want from a few library’s (mainly a mix of more cartoony to more realistic textures) that way developers can stylize their games even more their way.

5 Likes

Can we use this in studio currently? And how!

1 Like

It’s currently a separate studio build.

2 Likes

Yeah, also, they kept stud textures in old games, why don’t they bring it back?
And why not keep old textures in old games, just like the studs?

I agree with your suggestion for the mixer, by the way.

1 Like

I mean, atleast they said stud ‘‘textures’’ would be removed. Don’t really know how to call them!

1 Like

The Roblox max per 1 mesh is 10k tris, I wasn’t talking about a rig made of several meshes (which is 50k, not 60k btw).

The 2020 roblox studio beta allows you to upload 50k tri meshes.

Like cuniply said

Also, LOL is 3 words (Laugh Out Loud).

I’m going to let other people explain things to you better than I can, just know that this is a stupid hill to die on.

It lagged horribly for most people (other engines don’t have it like that)

And yes that is a roll of toilet paper beside the tree lol.

Yes, I 100% agree with that.

Roblox did announce that they are going to make the engine a lot more faster for 200 player experiences. My game might not be that laggy when that update comes out.

1 Like

It’s mostly the shadow map causing the lag.

Shadow map 4 fps

voxel lighting 40 fps

(I deleted my posts since they were off topic and I don’t want them to get flagged sure this is off topic but I should give a reason why they were deleted so it isn’t confusing)

1 Like

try it with future lighting and enable shadows for all lights