New Terrain and Parts Built-In Materials - Release Build

Pretty much all of these are hit-or-miss. The materials were outdated, sure, but they were fine. If anything, it all had it’s own charm that has stuck with me for a good while.
I will admit that brick, cobblestone, granite and grass got the worst treatment. Some look bland, or repetitive, or both.
There really shouldn’t be any reason to force this onto every single Roblox game. All of the current textures we have now take up ~50 mb.
The best approach to this is put a “use legacy materials” button into Studio, and make all new gam-- sorry, ““experiences”” use the new materials by default.

2 Likes

I believe there is no need for that, in fact it would be additional work for Roblox, since the materials would have to be already downloaded. Why not make use of that and just have all of them available. After all, that’s even more creative freedom for all developers.

I think 0Snow should replace the slate very well, I also think they should make the new slate material look like the new snow material, or just completely replace it.

Image by @IdontPlayz343
yeagh

Oh nice I’m the 980th comment.

I have tried that, but snow seems to have lower quality, so even then it doesn’t quite stand up. Also this doesn’t solve all the other problems, like the new metal being so, well, metallic (like brand new polished metal, the current texture looks much better for metal that has been exposed to air for at least a few weeks).

2 Likes

specularscale and diffusescale should be set to 1 for best results with the new materials

From this thread (New Terrain and Parts Materials Preview Build! Oh YES!), it says the following:

This is now our final planned pre-release build to showcase the visual changes and improvements for these shaders. Next, we will shift our attention to QA so that we can prepare to release them. Thank you again!

Does this mean you are no longer going to look at any sort of feedback? Please tell me otherwise, as the slate and snow materials are absolutely game-breaking in terms of visual appeal, with no alternatives to use. Please do something about this!

2 Likes

I’ve read through a ton of replies and I think people just have nostalgia glasses on. These new materials are fantastic and definitely a breath of fresh air.

1 Like

I’d like you to kindly read this post:

There are still a lot of critical issues remaining that have not been addressed, which are really important to us.

1 Like

I personally think many people are overreacting
this has happened to past materials before

1 Like

Wait actually I meant both were set to one. Not sure how my brain failed me.

We are still looking at feedback and evaluating how to best proceed. No worries about whether someone is reading or not. I am.

13 Likes

Thank you! Even if nothing is done, it’s assuring that replies are still being read.

Is the update being forced or is it optional?

It’s forced, but it seems like they are looking into the remaining issues and will hopefully iron them out before proceeding with pushing them onto all clients.

2 Likes

Well, it’s good to know that you lot are actually reading feedback - well you anyways.
Also, it would be cool to see snow have a glitter sort of thing when light is on it. That would look amazing if you added that.

1 Like

No one is saying most of the new materials don’t look great. People simply don’t like being forced to switch, not to mention that many of the old materials have use cases that now are empty, with none of the new materials fitting their roles. And of course then there are some games which used the old materials as their selling point.

This has indeed happened before, but the previous change was well thought out, with the new (back then) materials fit the same roles as the old materials.

I’m glad all hope for changes to this update is not lost yet and I greatly appreciate that you are still looking into this. I think many of us do as well.

I know. You can use Paint.net or GIMP to do so, although that wouldn’t fix the issue with the odd-looking PBR maps.

How? You’ve provided no evidence or example to return them into standard PBR maps that can be used in the SurfaceAppearance asset.

Likewise.

I joined right after tix was removed so only reason I said that was cuz I heard someone else say it

thanks for telling me that

as I already said, they’re likely just storing grayscale maps in R, G, and B channels. Many games do it. They probably leave out the blue channel of the normal map as well. I haven’t looked at the files myself yet, but it will probably take like 5 minutes of fiddling with to figure out.

1 Like

It makes sense that the blue channel isn’t in there, because isn’t the blue channel used for Ambient Occlusion? Or so I’ve heard. As I was saying, it would make sense, at least to my logic, because to my knowledge Roblox doesn’t support any type of AO mapping.

1 Like