New Terrain and Parts Built-In Materials - Release Build

honestly they look okay when used in a certain style, but most people don’t build that way.

future lighting is resource intensive and reverts to shadowmap on lower graphics settings, most places don’t use it. not only that but using custom textures to keep builds looking like they do would also be resource intensive (plus no pbr), which pretty much means that in order to make builds look even okay, you need a better computer

2 Likes

I didn’t realize the lighting options took up such little memory. Thank you for the explanation.

I still struggle to understand why ROBLOX can’t make the legacy materials available as an option rather than a forced replacement. It’s hard for me to comprehend just how much of a difference an extra set of materials can make in loading times and storage, but if it’s truly a memory issue, then could ROBLOX at least release an easily accessible library of the old materials as custom materials once they are released?

Again, I understand modernizing the platform, but at this cost? It seems like there must be a better solution which satisfies both parties.

1 Like

The one on the right has massive white specks dotted all over it as well as all the sand’s “waves” on it. Because the brickcolor is dark, the old sand doesn’t make those lines as visible, and the old sand also doesn’t have the white specks. I have absolutely no idea how you can consider the one on the right superior for a jacket material.

Sure, the new one is smoother in that it’s lacking depth in more spots and as a result looks flatter, but the waves are obnoxiously contrasting and the white specks make it unfit for use.

3 Likes

Well yeah im sure these are going to look great in some scenarios, but we dont all build in the same style do we? this is kinda what this update will force us to do

4 Likes

Now I can understand changing materials, but such a substantial change will impact a lot of places, especially as many have been build with certain materials in place, as some people have already said. In terms of the bricks (which I show here), this profile is quite realistic and close to real life, which works very well for many of my places. Not only will this update for this particular material ruin many of my builds, but it will also impact the immersiveness and quality of my ““experiences””. So please, for realism’s sake, add at least an option to use the older materials, especially for older places. It is the least one can do, as this will have such an impact on so many games. Some of these textures will also have great impact on my historical games, and using custom textures will only increase performance issues.

These new textures, especially the brick, turned this historical station into a plastic mock-up.

15 Likes

Here is the result with some furnitures I built some times ago now:

I used the same lighting 'n stuff

Focus on the bed and give your opinion
  • I prefer the old textures
  • I prefer the new textures

0 voters

Thanks for your feedback !

6 Likes

ah I didn’t see the waves originally, that’s a problem

however the left one has far more black specks than the right has white specks. this creates a jagged sand-like feel that isn’t indicative of clothing

oh god help me if this is what the update will cause

6 Likes

Here is what i think about this update:

Almost nothing changed, my game still looks bad with the new materials. I feel like you just simply ignored all of the feedback, went ahead and slapped some “fixes” and be like “yeah, that will do it” instead of keeping legacy materials.

As the last time, let’s take this grocery shop as an example:

Current materials:

New materials:
obraz

As you see, it’s still really bad. It’s like NOTHING AT ALL changed since the last build. The 2014-17 era feel of my game is ruined thanks to some terrible update wihout any alternatives or replacement.

If you wanna check my game out in it’s current state: here you go

(the brick and grass still suck the most btw)

3 Likes

That was intentional since it makes it look slightly more abrasive like cloth rather than something extremely smooth. The white specks contrast way too much in comparison.

4 Likes

as a person who also builds almost completely in this style, i wish i didn’t have eyes right now
seriously though, although i don’t really mind it as much, it does look like the style has completely changed and not in a good way

Any update Roblox makes has people split. That’s why it’s important to make huge updates like this mostly optional, as it can create a huge divide between people, and its effects can be unwanted. Why not release it as a bundle of decals or a togglable settings feature?

Plus, it’s important to ask ourselves a question. Is this whole revamp even needed? For the most part, we are in a comfortable place with the current materials, plus the huge catalog of textures in the library. And even if some people (including myself) feel that the relatively small amount of textures can be limiting, I don’t want a full revamp of the textures I’ve already grown to love. No, I’d rather have Roblox just mix them in with the current ones since that would be easier and more convenient than having to reshape my builds around a new set of textures.

11 Likes

Practically nobody was clamoring for this, they wanted new additional materials and custom materials.

SurfaceAppearance already works on meshparts, so there’s no good reason why they haven’t made it work for other types of parts. This is literally them appealing to stockholders with “pretty graphics”.

7 Likes

Change for the sake of change is no good change at all, improve them or dont touch them plz

1 Like

I downloaded the github zip file for windows, how do I get it into studio?

1 Like

Despite all the criticism in this topic, I like the change. I’ve been waiting for this for a while! I plan on designing my new “debut” game using these materials. I feel like they look a lot more realistic and modern.

I just hope Roblox fixes the terrain water!

Do you like the new materials?
  • Yes
  • No
  • Maybe

0 voters

1 Like

Old Materials:

New Materials:

I like them, as additions to the current materials, but not as replacements. That’s a step too far and I would rather have no new materials as to having the current ones replaced by the “improved” ones.

If that’s too much to ask then, I really got no words…

12 Likes

This whole thing backfired because the textures were updated rather than added

6 Likes

Follow-up reply showing what my game looks like with the new materials.

In case it wasn’t already obvious, this update will completely ruin the aesthetic of the game. The diamond plate material looks hideous, and so does the fabric material. The interiors for both trains and the restaurant look horrendous now, and the flooring used for the maintenance facility is awful.

11 Likes

I think you should push this update first before changing all of the materials. The ability to choose different textures for materials is a great idea and would make it so developers don’t have to forcibly update their game to match their style. They can just reupload the older materials and use them again.

I also believe that having the ability to use multiple variants of one material in a game would also be game changing.

4 Likes