New Terrain and Parts Built-In Materials - Release Build

dont quote me on this but im pretty sure every developer has used sand or wood for something they aren’t straightly meant for

3 Likes

I want to provide my own take on this update.

Is it a good one? Well, it depends on how you go about utilizing it. I see a lot of developers here stating that their games do not look good with this update, but I haven’t seen anyone really try to redesign some things here. It takes some color adjustments since the announcement did mention they made the textures have less shading to get the look that you want (as developers requested in the past)

Here is my mini showcase game that I’m proud of (and still developing) using the brand new textures.

Good job Roblox.

(Maps very empty, but you can still see that the textures can be used nicely if you put time and effort into giving them a chance)

Are some textures a bit wonky though? Indeed, I really hope they remaster Leafy Grass and some other ones like corroded metal, but besides that, the textures themselves are something I’m most definitely waiting for.

11 Likes

We cannot be creative, think outside of the box, and use materials outside of their intended uses?

3 Likes

When I use something like “sand” for a cloth, I know it’s not going to hold up. It didn’t the last time materials changed. I had to adapt all my builds 7-8 years ago when the new materials rolled out. You’re not wrong. But nothing can stay the same forever either.

4 Likes

How would I have known that they would’ve changed materials and not made it optional to switch back? There was no way of knowing, the point here is that it looked good then and was the best option.

6 Likes

I think we are all over-reacting. About a month this is released, we will get used to it. Plus, Roblox gives us a RC Build to prepare our games. They usually don’t do that.

Personally, I like it that they are rolling this out to all games to modernize the platform. But it’s probably guarantee that they will change the materials again in about 14 years.

Im not trying to compare this to the topbar change, but these reactions are kind of similar to it. We all got used to that. But materials are a bigger change in Roblox. I can kind of seeing that. When the topbar rolled out, we still had to manage our games for that for the people who have custom topbars. Yea it was only like adding 5 more pixels to the frame.

4 Likes

the after image looks a lot better in my opinion

1 Like

Yes but this is a huge change, millions of games are going to be affected and many will have to wait for custom materials to roll out just to even release the games

1 Like

The funny thing is that for all the concessions we make to mobile, they never gave us an API to determine if the player is on mobile or not so we can optimize the game for their device, swap out the UI, etc.

Let’s just hope they come around on this issue since we’ve almost reached perfection, new lighting, new PBR system, pbr materials, etc, except they need to make a few small changes first.

5 Likes

How do you download and use the new materials? I’m confused on how the github link works or how im supposed to use it.

Go to the release tab and click download. Click on windows or mac.

1 Like
  1. Click this if you have Mac:
    https://github.com/Roblox/material-update-beta/releases/download/v1.5/v1.5.MacOs.zip
    Click this if you have Windows:
    https://github.com/Roblox/material-update-beta/releases/download/v1.5/v1.5.Windows.zip
    (These are direct download links btw, it just downloads once you click)

2. Extract the files into a folder

3. If you have Mac, just open up the .app file. If you have Windows, find the .exe file.

Many of my friends are stating their decisions to quit Roblox if this update rolls out due to the bad compatibility the new textures will have. Not only that, Roblox is forcing realism upon all games, including games that don’t revolve around a realistic style

4 Likes

im confused on the “extract the files” part. could you elaborate further please?

What you can do is download the texture you want from here, upload it here, then slap textures on your parts. The thing is, they may cause Performance issues. Try turning off the CanTouch property on the BasePart if you need more performance.

Here is how to Extract (Unzip) a ZIP file

For Windows:

(Timestamp: 3:08)

For Mac:

(Timestamp: 1:12)

2 Likes

If we could at least have backwards compatibility with the old materials I wouldn’t mind so much, or if we could at least have custom materials, I wouldn’t mind either, but here we are. Can we please at least have one of these 2?

3 Likes

I’ve never seen so much backlash for a quality update. It makes me sad more than anything.

3 Likes

Great update! but it is better to make 2 section like Materials V.1 or Materials V.2, so we could have a better choices on the materials. And also some users prefer the old materials, so i think making it to 2 sections would be a great idea.

( Theres an explanation of why there cant have 2 section of materials nvm ;-;

3 Likes

I wouldn’t consider it the best on how it was rolled out when 80% of games aren’t built for these new textures.
Adapting is a thing but it will cost a lot of performance issues with textures and we aren’t gonna spend time applying textures to every single part…
I think its easier if we have both versions for use so that there is more variety.

2 Likes