New Terrain and Parts Built-In Materials - Release Build

These new textures are going to put such a heavy limit on people’s creativity

4 Likes

Let’s take a look at the size of the current materials file:

I don’t know about you, but I think doubling this size for a selectable second package of textures is fine enough.

2 Likes

Look at Diamond Plate

Looks good, right? Looks like real diamond plate, and is one of my favourite materials.

But now, this is the exact same part but with the new material texture:

What the diddly hecc is this? I want diamond plate, not plastic cartoony plate. Did they forget about this material?

10 Likes

There is no new pipeline, which makes this all the more outrageous - the new materials are rendered using EXACTLY the same system as the current ones.

1 Like

I do agree that the majority of this thread is overreacting and the new materials are actually pretty cool! i like this update, but it ruins a lot of the style/roughness and atmosphere that the old textures create. Sure it might be an easy fix with a simple plugin or a script but i honestly agree with some posts that say this should be an option rather then something that is rolled out to every single game.

2 Likes

Slate has been nerfed from the godly all-purpose rock & building texture to just ‘old wacky concrete’

Granite has been nuked from orbit
Grass makes me want to puke because it won’t work with triangle terrain and using it for leaves is redundant now.
What the hell do we do with leaves now?
Are we supposed to use only Plastic and Smoothplastic like it’s a simulator game?

Seriously do not like this update in the slightest. Optional, compatible, or bust.

3 Likes

OH MY GOD. It looks… beautiful! Can’t wait for new showcases to pop up!

Don’t forget “plastic” diamond plate. Look how they massacred our boy.

1 Like

Before yall bootlickers reply to this, I want to make it clear that I don’t really value your opinion on the aesthetic value of my builds that I made to my standards. These textures are good if you don’t have to go through and convert everything, but because people such as myself will it is unacceptable.

13 Likes

This option would be cool too, and I honestly just don’t understand why they won’t take the time or small performance hit (if there actually is one thats noticeable) to do it. Especially when so many people including myself have spoken up about wanting the option to keep the old in some way.
Unless this reply is sarcastic and I am just dumb. Its like past 2:30am here and I am running on a glass of water, and the internal rage of a hundred scorched beavers whose dam just got lit ablaze by a roman candle.

2 Likes

I’d like to make this very clear that the administrators shown in the image above very likely had no say in the decision making. Don’t kill the messenger.

1 Like

they’ve done it like 3 times in the past 10 years

3 Likes

Given what seems like 90% of the replies to that thread, I have a difficult time believing that this is what that survey came to a majority with

2 Likes

Simple. Those that oppose a change are always the most vocal.

4 Likes

granite looks too bright as well, now it’s impractical for lava and killbricks

powering imagination my HumanoidRootPart. i don’t like being forced to use things for certain stuff.

3 Likes

From the preview build thread…

1 Like

Oh, yes. That was months ago before they’d fixed the issues with the new materials. I’m now confident that an explicit switch is not necessary and that people are quite overreacting.

2 Likes

Incorrect. The terrain folder has to be accounted for as well. Therefore, the pc folder totals about 115 MB uncompressed, so adding both sets could increase it to ~250 MB. Nobody wants that.

1 Like

There’s a lot of suggestions I want to give regarding these materials.

The concrete textures are a bit good for indoor floors and warehouse floors, BUT they look awful for buildings and roads. The old concrete gave it more of a rough look, with dentures, holes, tiny cracks and a lack of reflection that made the original textures work perfectly. You should make two alternate versions for concrete; “Smoothened Concrete” (aka the current one), and “Concrete” (a rougher looking one that more resembles the original concrete.

Let me demonstrate visually:
Old:

New:

The old concrete is filled with little holes everywhere, giving it that evenly rough look. The new concrete texture has uneven dark spots all around it, which makes it not a viable option for buildings AT ALL. pls fix

Also, metal is WAY too shiny, please give it more of a satin/matte reflection than it has right now, or please tie it to the Reflection slider.

OLD:

NEW:

btw i am in love with the foil and leafy grass materials you guys did a REALLY good job on those

7 Likes

This update is glorious! The above image was my first reaction upon seeing this.

I’ve tested it and new materials are amazing! Thanks to everyone at Roblox for this!!!

3 Likes